- Sites primarily about arts or artists (actors, painters, musicians, etc.) should be listed in the appropriate Arts category.
- Sites primarily devoted to selling products, even artwork or artists'' products, should be listed in Shopping.
- Businesses that serve the arts communities without directly creating art themselves - agents, casting companies, financiers - are listed under the appropriate category of Business.
- Sites about art that is produced or viewed through computers are listed under Arts while sites about computer tools or data formats that can be used either for art or non-artistic work should be listed under Computers.
- Activities that entertain their participants more than the audience belong in Recreation.
- The study of non-artistic communication is listed under Science: Social Sciences.
- Non English language sites belong in World.
The ODP Arts category contains English language sites about art, or "the use of skill and imagination in the creation of aesthetic objects, environments, or experiences that can be shared with others." This includes the "liberal arts," concerned with skill of expression in language, speech, and reasoning, and the "fine arts," concerned with affecting aesthetics directly, and especially affecting the sense of beauty. (Quotes and paraphrases from Britannica.com)
Art is an abstract and subjective quality: It can be studied, but cannot be objectively measured, counted, weighed, or absolutely compared; it can only appeal to the viewers or audience's personal senses.
The Business component of the Open Directory generally lists and categorizes English-language sites that cover:
Computers is a high-level category. Please submit your links to a suitable subcategory of this category. There are many to choose from, so please choose carefully.
A computer is an electronic device that accepts and processes information mathematically or logically according to programmed instructions. The results of this processing is displayed visually, printed on paper, played audibly, kept in electronic form for transfer to other computers, or used to control some other device or process.
Modern computers have become a universal tool, used in most occupations. The Internet itself, including DMOZ, this Internet directory, is written on computers, stored on computers, presented by computers, and usually viewed on computers. By that standard every DMOZ listed site could be listed under this category. But instead, this category contains listings of sites primarily about the use of Computers other than for a purpose fitting one of the other DMOZ top level categories. Sites about artistic use of computers belong in Arts, about scientific use of computers in Science, etc.
The ODP Computers category contains sites that are about:
It is important not to confuse the topic with the tool or medium. Sites devoted to a subject that happens to use computers as tools or a medium should still be listed under the subject. For example, sites devoted to music, even in electronic formats, have a home in Arts/Music/. However, the tools and formats for audio reproduction may also be used for speeches or lectures that are not Arts related, so sites devoted to these generic computer audio tools, data formats, theories, and algorithms that may be used for several purposes should be listed in the appropriate Computers subcategory.
Games covers sites about nearly any sort of game, including Computer and Video Games, Board Games, Roleplaying Games, and Gambling Games, and most other activities that are commonly referred to as games. Sites about sports, recreational activities, or sites whose primary purpose is to sell items have categories specifically for their type of content.
Sports are usually more physical activities, and generally involve some form of physical exertion. Included there are sports that may be recreational rather than competitive activities for most people, such as bicycling.
Recreation is for hobbies, activities, and pastimes that are meant to give enjoyment during a participant's leisure time. These activities are generally not competitive and usually don't have a way to absolutely win or lose. They are not typically governed by a specific set of rules.
Shopping contains sites of which the primary focus is to allow the consumer to select and obtain goods and services over the web. Shopping: Toys and Games: Games is specifically for sites selling games.
Games encompasses all English language web sites about games. The Open Directory Project defines a game as any activity that is meant to entertain the participants and that is governed by a specific set of rules. Games are also usually competitive, typically involving players competing either against each other, against one or more simulated players, or against tasks set by the rules of the game. There are usually ways to win and lose a game spelled out in the rules.
Do not submit sites that advertise rentals, rental services, or merchandise for apartments. Because of the volume of such inappropriate submissions, it is likely that such sites will be deleted.
Submit rental listings or agencies in the appropriate category in the Regional category. Submit sales sites, such as for furniture, in the appropriate Shopping category.
Before suggesting a site, please review the Guidelines for Submitting a Site.
Please do not attempt to list your site here - please find a more appropriate sub-category. (Only really big multi-national news sites are listed here).News sites provide material informing, explaining, or commenting on the events and issues of the day. In addition, web sites with information 'about' news and about news reporting are within the scope of the category and its subcategories. This might include essays on current events or sites describing news sources in detail. The Open Directory Project's news section includes a wide variety of news links. The Top: News section is a cross section of some of those links.
It may be worth looking for an appropriate sub-category under Regional/ or Reference/.
The Recreation category covers English language sites about hobbies, activities, and pastimes that are meant to give enjoyment during a participant's leisure time. The purpose of the category is to provide resources and information on a multitude of recreational activities. These resources should be of far-reaching or worldwide interest and not mainly of interest to a specific regional area.
To avoid delay in listing, please review prior to submission:
Suggest websites once to the most relevant category. Multiple submissions or careless submissions will slow the process.
Review the Recreation sub-topic descriptions to find the most appropriate category for submissions. Find the lowest level category appropriate for the site being submitted.
There are various DMOZ categories related to Recreation. Review these also for proper category selection:
- Arts/ - for activities meant to entertain an audience more than the participant.
- Sports/ - for physical competitive activities.
- Games/ - for less physical competitive activities.
- Shopping/ - for sites primarily intended to sell a product, rather than provide information.
- World/ - for sites in any language other than English belong in the appropriate language subcategory.Any adult material or illegal topics will not be listed in Recreation. These should be submitted to the proper Adult/ category.
Descriptions should include specific information of the unique qualities and features of the site contents.
Avoid advertising hype, overuse of capitalization, and emphatic punctuation.
Do use the English language, proper grammar, and a spell-checker.
Affiliate sites, multiple URL's for the same organization, and mirror sites are not desirable.
DMOZ reserves the right to alter or replace a proposed description at any time at its sole discretion and editorial judgment.
Please review the additional Category FAQ for further insights.
The Regional category is for sites that are in English or use several languages including English.The Regional category contains English language sites about geographical regions. This includes groups of countries in an area, individual nations, states or provinces and localities. The top Regional category covers sites that are global in scope.
For sites that use languages other than English, please submit to the appropriate language in the World category.
When suggesting a site, please look for the most suitable subcategory in which your site can be listed. For example, if your site is about a country or state, please try to find the subcategory that deals with that country or state first and submit your site there. Misdirected submissions will be removed without prior notice.
1. Sites in languages other than English should be submitted to appropriate World category as listed under the heading "This category in other languages."
2. Sites which sell consumer goods should be submitted to the appropriate subcategory in Shopping, for example Shopping/Recreation/Science_and_Nature. If the shopping site contains substantial general information on its scientific topic the informational component also can be listed in Science.
3. Sites for manufacturers and providers of specialized services generally should be listed in Business. The primary exception is business sites addressed to scientific users listed in Instruments and Supplies (for example laboratory supplies or scientific instruments).
4. Websites explicitly directed at education about scientific topics (including curriculum or class materials) should be listed in /Science/[topic]/Education subcategories (see Science/Educational_Resources. Every entry should be described with its target audience specified (including hints if it is rather for educators or for direct use by pupils/students). Note that many educational sites offer information of broad interest and can be listed in the topical category.
5. Sites about alternative / non-mainstream Science concepts are listed in Science/Anomalies_and_Alternative_Science
6. Academic departments can be double listed under the university in Reference/Education/Colleges_and_Universities and also in /Science/[topic]/Academic_Departments.
Broadly defined to include physical sciences, life sciences, social sciences, earth sciences, mathematics, engineering, and technology. The alphabetical index helps to find a particular Science topic, especially if common name differs from one used by scientists.Sites about alternative / non-mainstream Science concepts are listed in Science/Anomalies_and_Alternative_Science.
Following these guidelines will allow us to add your site to the directory as quickly as possible.Shopping/ contains sites of which the primary focus is to allow the consumer to select and obtain goods and services over the Web. Common examples include:
All sites submitted are reviewed by the directory's editors. Sites are listed by the actual business name, followed by a brief description. This description will be based on the information you provide and the review of the website. Sites will be placed in the single most applicable and highest category based on our review. Sites which are continually submitted to the directory, using either a main url, mirrors or sub-pages, will be banned.
- Find the single most appropriate category for your site. With few exceptions, sites are listed in the directory in one category only.
- Suggest your site using your main url. With few exceptions, we do not deep link sites in Shopping.
- Use your actual business name as the title.
- Create a brief description, under 25 words, listing the current content of your site (not the future content)
- Do not use first person verbiage (we, our, us).
- Don't bother using marketing verbiage. (We're the best!, Most awesome site, Check it Out!) Marketing verbiage is removed.
- Sites which are mirrors of other sites or that redirect to another site will not be listed. Only the main site will be listed.
- Sites that are affiliates or lists of affiliate links that do not contain original content will not be listed.
- Sites which are gateways or splash pages to affiliate sites will not be added.
- Individual distributors for Multi-Level Marketers are not listed in Shopping.
- Non-English sites should be submitted to the appropriate World category.
- Sites which are mainly advertising for a local store and that do not offer online shopping should be suggested to the appropriate Regional category.
- All sites are reviewed periodically.
- Sites in the directory are subject to changes in placement, description and possible removal from the directory, based on this review.
Sites with adult content which is not of an artistic, educational, or informative nature are not permitted in Society, but should be send to the Adult tree. In general, sites whose primary purpose is online shopping should be sent to the Shopping tree, and those with a narrow geographic focus are best placed under Regional.Open Directory's Society section covers the areas of human interaction and people's thoughts, speculations, and aspirations about the world they live in. This category covers topics directly about people, such as People, Ethnicity, Genealogy, and Disabled. And it covers experiences inherent to being human, in Sexuality, Death, Transgendered, Subcultures, Lifestyle Choices, and Gay, Lesbian, and Bisexual. Society covers people's relationships with each other in topics such as Relationships, Activism, Advice, Crime, Support Groups, Work, Military, Politics, Issues, Law, Government, and Organizations. It covers people's perceptions and understandings of the universe they live in, in Philosophy, Paranormal, Urban Legends, and Religion and Spirituality. And it covers people's relationship to time, in topics such as History, Future, and Holidays. Several other major Open Directory sections have categories related to Society. For example, categories about people who are important to society principally because of their contributions to science, the arts, sports, or local areas are located in Science, Arts, Sports, and Regional, respectively. Subjects related to the family are in Home/Family. The relationship between science and society is covered in Science/Science_in_Society. The Arts and Humanities, which are an important expression of society, have their own categories. News about society is in News. Many socially relevant reference materials about society can be found in Reference, such as Reference/Museums/Cultural, Reference/Archives, and Reference/Education.
Sites will not be listed at the top level of Sports. Please do a search to find a more appropriate location in one of the subcategories.Sports can be generally defined as competitive events involving physical exertion. Included here are sports that may be recreational rather than competitive activities for most people, such as bicycling. If you don't find what you're looking for here, check the related categories Games (for competitive but non-physical activities, like chess) or Recreation: Outdoors (for outdoor physical activities that aren't normally competitive, such as hiking).
If you cannot find an appropriate subcategory, you can submit it at the closest appropriate level with a suggestion of where you think it should go. It is okay to suggest creation of a new category if the one you want does not currently exist, although creation of new categories is at the discretion of Open Directory Project editors. They may feel that your submission fits into one of the existing categories.
more information (editors only)
Please note that this category is only for non-English non-Adult sites. Sites defined in the Adult guidelines as being an Adult site belongs elsewhere.This category contains the non-English language versions of the Open Directory Project. Both the category headers and site descriptions should be written in the language of the sites they link to.
Note that Kids_and_Teens/International exists for sites that are orientated for those under 18.
Please suggest sites as far as possible under the category for the correct language. If you are unsure of what language the site is in, there are a few tools that will help you, including The Xerox Language Identifier, Google Translate and Zaphod.
Sending a non-English site to the appropriate language will help ensure a timely review as well as remove duplication of effort.Thank you.