A charitable order founded in 1910 and styling itself on the ancient order of the same name, the Military and Hospitaller Order of Saint Lazarus of Jerusalem is administered by two branches, the Malta Obedience, headed by the Duke of Seville with headquarters on Malta, and the Paris branch, headed by the Duke of Brissac, with headquarters in Paris.
Its appeal lies in its long history, its strong religious affiliation and its heartfelt commitment to alleviating suffering, particularly that of the young, the elderly, the handicapped and those afflicted with leprosy and other life-threatening diseases of the modern age. Dedication to those high ideals binds these men and women together in the ancient tradition of chivalry.
The original Military and Hospitaller Order of Saint Lazarus of Jerusalem was established at the Infirmary of Saint Lazarus in the year 1098, during the First Crusade. A leprosarium, the infirmary was located outside the walls of Jerusalem, near the legendary home of Saint Lazarus. The last nominations to the order were in 1788 and the last surviving Knight of the original Order of St. Lazarus died in 1857.