Started in 1940 as a POW camp. Later it became a concentration camp. The SS took command of it in April 1943. In March 1944 the camp was redesignated as a Recovery Camp, where prisoners of other camps too sick to work were brought.
Belzec originally began operation in early 1940 as a forced labor camp for Jews. It was destroyed and rebuild as a death camp in March 1942 as part of Operation Reinhard.
Belzec was decommissioned in the Spring of 1943.
The Germans transformed Fort Breendonk into a prison camp.
On September 20, 1940, the first prisoners arrived.
Buchenwald was a Nazi concentration camp established in July 1937. The prisoners were used as slave labour in local armament factories.
The camp was evacuated by the Nazis as Allied troops approached the area, and the U.S. Army assumed control of the camp on 11 April 1945.
A Nazi extermination camp that was located 70 km from Łódź.
The death camp operated from December 8, 1941 until April 1943. And then again in spring 1944 until fall 1944.
Dachau was a Nazi German concentration camp near the city of Dachau. It was located north of Munich, in southern Germany. It was constructed in a former gunpowder factory. Construction of Dacha was completed on March 21, 1933.
On April 29, 1945, Dachau was freed by the United States Army. For many years after its liberation, it was used as a residence for refugees.
Falstad was originally built as a school in Levanger, Norway. It was converted into a prison camp by the Nazis in 1941.
It was liberated in May of 1945.
Flossenbürg concentration camp was a German prison built in 1938 at Flossenbürg. The camp's site was chosen so that the inmates could be used as free labor to quarry the granite found in the nearby hills.
Notables executed at Flossenbürg include General Hans Oster, Admiral Wilhelm Canaris, Rev. Dietrich Bonhoeffer, Dr. Karl Sack, Dr. Theodore Struenck and General Friedrich von Rabenau.
First set up in summer 1940 as a satellite camp to Sachsenhausen. It became an independent camp in 1941. The camp was known for its huge stone quarry.
It was liberated on February 14, 1945.
Majdanek is roughly four kilometers away from the center of the Polish city Lublin.
It was established in October 1941 as a prisoner-of-war camp. In February 1943, it was turned into a concentration camp.
Nazi extermination camp on the outskirts of Minsk, Belarus. Originally built as a POW camp to house Soviets, it was converted to a death camp in 1942. Thenceforth, it's primary purpose was the extermination of Minsk Jews.
Construction on Mauthausen was completed on August 8, 1938. It was under the command of Franz Ziereis, and liberated on May 5, 1945 by the 11th Armored Division of the US Army.
Mauthausen was used mostly for extermination through physical labor of the educated and higher class peoples in countries occupied by Germany during World War II.
Known as Le Struthof to the French. This camp was located in Alsace, and was about 50 kilometers South-West of Strasbourg. It was a prison for resistance fighters captured in Norway, Belgium, Holland, Poland, and France.
Plaszow was a concentration camp near Kraków. It is also featured in the movie Schindler's List.
Plaszow was a slave labor camp, supplying manpower to several armaments factories and a stone quarry. Many prisoners died of typhus, starvation and executions. Plaszow became known for the mass shootings carried out there.
Ravensbrück was a German concentration camp located 90 km north of Berlin. It was founded in 1938. It was unusual because it was a camp primarily for women.
It had 70 sub-camps used for slave labor ranging from the Baltic Sea to Bavaria.
Sachsenhausen was a concentration camp in Germany. It was operated from 1936 until 1950.
It was located in the town of Oranienburg.
Sobibor was a Nazi death camp run during the Second World War. It was located in Poland.
On October 14, 1943, detainees at Sobibor successfully revolted. They killed 11 SS guards. About 300 of the 600 inmates escaped. Most were later found, and shot. About 50 survived until the end of the war.
After the escape, the Nazis closed the camp and planted a forest, in an attempt to conceal what had taken place at Sobibor.
Treblinka was an extermination camp operated by the Nazis as part of Operation Reinhard. It was operated from July 1942 until October 1943.
The camp was located 100 km northeast of the Polish capital of Warsaw.