Location: 48°35' to 49°44'S : 68°43' to 70°35'E
The Kerguelen Islands consist of one large island (Grande Terre) and several smaller ones. Additionally, there are some 300 islets, rocks and outliers. The group is partly volcanic in origin. The group covers 7215 km2 with the highest elevation being Mt. Ross at 1850 m. The islands are 10% glacierized. The first sighting and landing took place in February 1772 by French navigator Yves-Joseph de Kerguelen-Trémarec. A scientific station was established in 1951 and has been occupied permanently since. The group was annexed by France in 1893 and became part of Terres Australes et Antarctiques Françaises in 1955.
This category contains Internet sites that are about or located on the Kerguelen Islands.
Please only submit sites that are about or located on the Kerguelen Islands.
This category includes web sites about the natural, scientific, and environmental aspects of Kerguelen Island. It includes information about the natural environment, environmental problems, and scientific activities specific to Kerguelen Island.
This category is for web sites specifically related to Kerguelen Island.
Before submitting a site, be sure to read the category description.