In Partnership with AOL Search
 
Submit sites having to do with the town of Wadsworth, Texas. If the site is of broader interest, consider submitting it to the Counties:Matagorda category.
"Wadsworth is near the junction of State Highway 60 and Farm roads 521 and 2078 in south central Matagorda County."
Submit sites having to do with the town of Waelder, Texas. If the site is of broader interest, consider submitting it to the Counties:Gonzales category.
"Waelder is on State Highway 90, two miles north of Interstate Highway 10, eighteen miles north of Gonzales in northern Gonzales County."
Submit sites having to do with the town of Waka, Texas. If the site is of broader interest, consider submitting it to the Counties:Ochiltree category.
"Waka, on State Highway 15 twenty-two miles southwest of Perryton in west central Ochiltree County, was settled in 1885 by German immigrants and was first called Wawaka."
Submit sites having to do with the town of Wake Village, Texas. If the site is of broader interest, consider submitting it to the Counties:Bowie category.
"Wake Village is an incorporated town just west of Texarkana on U.S. Highway 67 in eastern Bowie County. It was founded in 1944 or early 1945 to house workers from the nearby Red River Army Depot and Lone Star Army Ammunition Plant... Most of the residents work at the nearby army installations or in Texarkana."
Submit sites having to do with the town of Walburg, Texas. If the site is of broader interest, consider submitting it to the Counties:Williamson category.
"Walburg ... is a German community on Farm Road 972 thirty-three miles northeast of Austin in Williamson County... Ethnic groups in the area include German, Wendish, Czechoslovakian, Austrian, and Swiss."
Submit sites having to do with the town of Wall, Texas. If the site is of broader interest, consider submitting it to the Counties:Tom Green category.
"Wall, on U.S. Highway 87 ten miles southeast of San Angelo in southeastern Tom Green County, was originally called Lipan School, then Little School, then Murray's Store. The area was a school district covering 326 square miles."
Submit sites having to do with the town of Wallis, Texas. If the site is of broader interest, consider submitting it to the Counties:Austin category. Note that Wallisville is a different locality.
"Wallis is at the junction of the Southern Pacific and the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe railroads ten miles southeast of Sealy in extreme southeastern Austin County."
Submit sites having to do with the town of Wallisville, Texas. If the site is of broader interest, consider submitting it to the Counties:Chambers category. Note that Wallis is a different locality.
"Wallisville is on Interstate Highway 10 and the east side of the Trinity River in northern Chambers County."
Submit sites having to do with the town of Walnut Springs, Texas. If the site is of broader interest, consider submitting it to the Counties:Bosque category.
"Walnut Springs is at the junction of State Highway 144 and Farm roads 927 and 203, fifty-two miles northwest of Waco in northern Bosque County. It was founded in 1861 and was named Walnut for a nearby spring surrounded by walnut trees."
Submit sites having to do with the town of Warda, Texas. If the site is of broader interest, consider submitting it to the Counties:Fayette category.
"Warda is on U.S. Highway 77 on Rabb's Creek and its tributaries ten miles north of La Grange in northern Fayette County."
Submit sites having to do with the town of Waring, Texas. If the site is of broader interest, consider submitting it to the Counties:Kendall category.
"Waring is on the banks of the Guadalupe River, seven miles downstream from Comfort and twelve miles north of Boerne in Kendall County."
Submit sites having to do with the town of Warren, Texas. If the site is of broader interest, consider submitting it to the Counties:Tyler category.
"Warren is on an old road from Liberty to Town Bluff twelve miles south of Woodville in central Tyler County."
Please submit sites having to do with the community of Washington, or Washington-on-the-Brazos. If they are of broader range, consider submitting them to the Counties:Washington category.
"A ferry began operation across the Brazos River near its confluence with the Navasota in 1822, and in 1825 a cotton gin was established in the area. Washington (usually known as Washington-on-the-Brazos), the county's first community, arose at the site of the ferry."
Submit sites having to do with the town of Waskom, Texas. If the site is of broader interest, consider submitting it to the Counties:Harrison category.
"Waskom is on the Louisiana state line and the Union Pacific Railway at the intersection of Farm roads 134 and 9, U.S. Highway 80, and Interstate Highway 20, eighteen miles southeast of Marshall in southeastern Harrison County."
Submit sites having to do with the town of Watauga, Texas. If the site is of broader interest, consider submitting it to the Counties:Tarrant category.
"Watauga is on U.S. Highway 377 ten miles northwest of Fort Worth in northern Tarrant County... The name is a Cherokee word meaning village of many springs"
Submit sites having to do with the town of Water Valley, Texas. If the site is of broader interest, consider submitting it to the Counties:Tom Green category.
"Water Valley is on U.S. Highway 87 and the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway twenty-two miles northwest of San Angelo in northwestern Tom Green County."
Submit sites having to do with the town of Waxahachie, Texas. If the site is of broader interest, consider submitting it to the Counties:Ellis category.
"Waxahachie, the county seat of Ellis County, is on Interstate Highway 35E and U.S. Highway 287, thirty miles south of Dallas in the central part of the county. The name comes from an Indian word meaning "cow" or "buffalo"... Waxahachie has been nicknamed the Gingerbread City because of the architecture of several beautiful homes and buildings remaining from before 1900... In the 1980s four movies were filmed in Waxahachie, Places in the Heart, 1918, Tender Mercies, and The Trip to Bountiful."
Submit sites having to do with the town of Wayside, Texas. If the site is of broader interest, consider submitting it to the Counties:Armstrong category.
"Wayside, on Ranch Road 285 south of Palo Duro Canyon four miles east of the Randall county line and three miles north of the Swisher county line in the southwest corner of Armstrong County, was founded as a rural school district in 1893... Mrs. Hervey J. Bradford named the place Wayside, for its location on the "way-side" of the canyon, when she opened a post office in September 1897."
Links to web sites containing information pertinent to activities, businesses and people located in Weatherford (Parker County), Texas.
"Webberville is on Farm Road 969 fifteen miles east of Austin in eastern Travis County. The post office, which was established in 1846, was named Webber's Prairie in honor of John F. Webber, who received a land grant in the area in 1832, but it was sometimes referred to as Smithwick's, for Noah Smithwick, who served as the first postmaster... The post office at Webberville was discontinued in 1903, and mail for the community was sent to Manor. The Webberville schools were consolidated with the Hornsby-Dunlap common school district in 1951."
Submit sites having to do with the town of Webster, Texas. If the site is of broader interest, consider submitting it to the Counties:Harris:Clear Lake Area category.
"Webster is on State Highway 3 and the Galveston, Houston, and Henderson railroad twenty miles south of Houston and three miles west of the Lyndon B. Johnson Space Center in extreme southern Harris County."
Submit sites having to do with the town of Weesatche, Texas. If the site is of broader interest, consider submitting it to the Counties:Goliad category.
"Weesatche [is] on State Highway 119 thirteen miles north of Goliad in northern Goliad County."
Submit sites having to do with the town of Weimar, Texas. If the site is of broader interest, consider submitting it to the Counties:Colorado category.
"Weimar is on U.S. Highway 90 and Interstate Highway 10, eighty-seven miles west of Houston in western Colorado County."
Submit sites having to do with the town of Weinert, Texas. If the site is of broader interest, consider submitting it to the Counties:Haskell category.
"Weinert is at the intersection of U.S. Highway 277 and Farm Road 617, on the Burlington Northern Railroad sixteen miles northeast of Haskell in northern Haskell County."
Submit sites having to do with the town of Weir, Texas. If the site is of broader interest, consider submitting it to the Counties:Williamson category.
"Weir is on the Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railroad at the intersection of Farm roads 971 and 1105, six miles northeast of Georgetown in central Williamson County."
Submit sites having to do with the town of Welch, Texas. If the site is of broader interest, consider submitting it to the Counties:Dawson category.
"Welch is at the junction of State highways 137 and 83 and Farm roads 829 and 2053, ten miles northeast of Cedar Lake and eighteen miles northwest of Lamesa in northwestern Dawson County."
Submit sites having to do with the town of Wellborn, Texas. If the site is of broader interest, consider submitting it to the Counties:Brazos category.
"Wellborn [is located] on Farm Road 2154 (known as Wellborn Road) and the Southern Pacific Railroad four miles east of College Station and eight miles west of Millican in southern Brazos County."
Submit sites having to do with the town of Wellington, Texas. If the site is of broader interest, consider submitting it to the Counties:Collingsworth category.
"Wellington, the county seat of Collingsworth County, is on U.S. Highway 83 in the south central part of the county... Since World War II Wellington has continued as a ranching and farming center, with several gins and grain elevators. Located there are manufacturers of mattresses, concrete, and railroad spikes."
Submit sites having to do with the town of Wellman, Texas. If the site is of broader interest, consider submitting it to the Counties:Terry category.
"Wellman is on U.S. Highway 62/385 and Farm roads 213 and 303, in southwest Terry County."
Submit sites having to do with the town of Wells, Texas. If the site is of broader interest, consider submitting it to the Counties:Cherokee category.
"Wells is at the junction of U.S. Highway 69 and Farm Road 1247, twenty-three miles south of Rusk in extreme southern Cherokee County."
Submit sites having to do with the town of Weslaco, Texas. If the site is of broader interest, consider submitting it to the Counties:Hidalgo category.
"Weslaco, about fifteen miles west of Harlingen in south central Hidalgo County, is on U.S. Highway 83 and Farm Road 88."
Submit sites having to do with the town of West, Texas. If the site is of broader interest, consider submitting it to the Counties:McLennan category.
"West is on Interstate Highway 35 eighty miles south of Dallas in northeastern McLennan County... Nemecek Brothers Meat Market, established in 1896, is known throughout the state for its Czech hams and sausages. Westfest occurs annually on Labor Day weekend and attracts around 50,000 people. This festival celebrates with music, dance, and food the rich heritage that the Czechs brought to Texas."
Submit sites having to do with the town of Westbrook, Texas. If the site is of broader interest, consider submitting it to the Counties:Mitchell category.
"Located on U.S. Highway 20/80, Farm Road 670, and the Missouri Pacific Railroad, eight miles west of Colorado City in west central Mitchell County."
Submit sites having to do with the town of Westfield, Texas. If the site is of broader interest, consider submitting it to the Counties:Harris category.
"Westfield is on Interstate 45 and the Missouri Pacific Railroad nineteen miles north of Houston. The site is part of the lumber and oil region of north central Harris County."
Submit sites having to do with the town of Westhoff, Texas. If the site is of broader interest, consider submitting it to the Counties:DeWitt category.
"Westhoff is on U.S. Highway 87 near the Gonzales county line fourteen miles from Cuero in far northwestern DeWitt County."
Submit sites having to do with the town of Westlake, Texas. If the site is of broader interest, consider submitting it to the Counties:Tarrant category.
Located along the Tarrant and Denton county border in the rapidly growing northern triangle of the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex.
Submit sites having to do with the town of Westminster, Texas. If the site is of broader interest, consider submitting it to the Counties:Collin category.
"Westminster is at the intersection of Farm roads 3133 and 2862, twelve miles northeast of McKinney in northeast Collin County."
Submit sites having to do with the town of Weston, Texas. If the site is of broader interest, consider submitting it to the Counties:Collin category.
"Weston is at the intersection of Farm roads 543 and 455, eleven miles northwest of McKinney in north central Collin County... one of the first towns in Texas to have rural free mail delivery, begun on March 15, 1900."
Submit sites having to do with the town of Westphalia, Texas. If the site is of broader interest, consider submitting it to the Counties:Falls category.
"Westphalia is dissected by State Highway 320, the shortest state highway in Texas, in western Falls County."
Probably you should not submit a site here - consider if it would be more appropriate in Counties:El Paso or Counties:Deaf Smith. If you do decide to submit here, please be clear in your description as to which Westway. (It''s OK if you need to go over the word count limit to do that.) Thanks!
There are at least two entities in Texas called Westway: an abandoned community in Deaf Smith County, and a water district in El Paso County, near Canutillo.
Submit sites having to do with the town of Westworth Village, Texas. If the site is of broader interest, consider submitting it to the Counties:Tarrant category.
"Westworth Village is on State Highway 183 four miles west of Fort Worth in western Tarrant County. In 1941 the Fort Worth Chamber of Commerce deeded to the federal government 1,450 acres to construct a plant to build B-24 bombers and a landing field, which would become Carswell Air Force Base."
Submit sites having to do with the town of West Columbia, Texas. If the site is of broader interest, consider submitting it to the Counties:Brazoria category.
"West Columbia [is] an incorporated town on State highways 35 and 36 between the Brazos and San Bernard rivers in west central Brazoria County. In the 1960s many major oil companies had producing wells in or near West Columbia, and the area boasted the largest cattle population in Texas."
Submit sites having to do with the town of West Odessa, Texas. If the site is of broader interest, consider submitting it to the Counties:Ector or Metro Areas:Odessa-Midland category.
"West Odessa is on the western edge of Odessa and Monahans Draw in central Ector County. It is a wedge-shaped sixty square-mile area, bordered by Farm roads 866 and 302, Loop 338, and Interstate Highway 20... West Odessa has two serious problems-poor soil and water."
Submit sites having to do with the town of West Orange, Texas. If the site is of broader interest, consider submitting it to the Counties:Orange category.
"West Orange is on Farm Road 1006 just southwest of Orange and thirty miles east of Beaumont in southeastern Orange County."
Submit sites having to do with the town of West Point, Texas. If the site is of broader interest, consider submitting it to the Counties:Fayette category.
"West Point is north of State Highway 71 twelve miles west of La Grange in western Fayette County... The farmland around West Point [is] devoted primarily to the production of corn, and oil and gas from the Austin Chalk formation."
Submit sites having to do with the community of West University Place, Texas. If the site is of broader interest, consider submitting it to the Counties:Harris category.
"West University Place is an affluent incorporated suburb of metropolitan Houston in southwestern Harris County"
Submit sites having to do with the town of Wheeler, Texas. Please submit sites having to do with Wheeler County to the Counties:Wheeler category.
"Wheeler, the county seat of Wheeler County, is at the junction of U.S. Highway 83 and State Highway 152, near the geographical center of the county... Wheeler is the commercial center of a rich farming, ranching, and petroleum district... Several large feedlots attest to its importance as an agribusiness center. The main street in Wheeler, U.S. Highway 83, is called Alan Bean Street in the city limits in honor of the astronaut who spent his early years in Wheeler."
Submit sites having to do with the town of Wheelock, Texas. If the site is of broader interest, consider submitting it to the Counties:Robertson category.
"Wheelock is fifteen miles northeast of Bryan in south central Robertson County. In the late 1830s several attempts were made to make Wheelock the state capital, and in 1837 the town was one of the sites considered for the University of Texas."
Submit sites having to do with the town of Whiteface, Texas. If the site is of broader interest, consider submitting it to the Counties:Cochran category.
"Whiteface is on State Highway 114 forty-five miles west of Lubbock in east central Cochran County."
Submit sites having to do with the town of Whitehouse, Texas. If the site is of broader interest, consider submitting it to the Counties:Smith category.
"Whitehouse is on Farm Road 346 and State Highway 110, six miles southeast of Tyler in southeastern Smith County."
Submit sites having to do with the town of Whitesboro, Texas. If the site is of broader interest, consider submitting it to the Counties:Grayson category.
"Whitesboro (Whitesborough) is on State Highway 56, U.S. highways 377 and 82, State Highway Loop 441, and the tracks of the Missouri, Kansas, and Texas and Texas and Pacific railroads, fifteen miles west of Sherman in extreme west central Grayson County... After the Civil War residents were attracted to Whitesborough in such numbers that it became a relatively "wide-open" frontier town; female residents were prohibited from leaving their homes on Saturday nights because shootings were so common... In the late 1970s Whitesboro had manufacturers of clothing, metal products, and petroleum products."
Submit sites having to do with the town of Whitewright, Texas. If the site is of broader interest, consider submitting it to the Counties:Grayson category.
"Whitewright is on State highways 11 and 160 twelve miles southeast of Sherman in extreme eastern Grayson County."
Submit sites having to do with the town of White Deer, Texas. If the site is of broader interest, consider submitting it to the Counties:Carson category.
"White Deer, on U.S. Highway 60 in east central Carson County, is named for nearby White Deer Creek, where, according to local legend, an Indian saw an albino deer drinking... Ethnic diversity was heightened in 1909, when Henry Czerner and Ben Urbanczyk established a community of Polish farmers from Central Texas at the northeast edge of town."
Submit sites having to do with the town of White Oak, Texas. If the site is of broader interest, consider submitting it to the Counties:Gregg or Metro Areas:Longview-Marshall category.
"White Oak is at the junction of U.S. Highway 80 and Farm Road 3272, just west of Longview in north central Gregg County."
Submit sites having to do with the town of White Settlement, Texas. If the site is of broader interest, consider submitting it to the Counties:Tarrant or Metro Areas:Dallas-Fort Worth category.
"White Settlement is an incorporated residential community just off Interstate Highway 820 at the western edge of Fort Worth in west central Tarrant County."
Submit sites having to do with the town of Whitharral, Texas. If the site is of broader interest, consider submitting it to the Counties:Hockley category.
"Whitharral is on U.S. Highway 385 ten miles north of Levelland in north central Hockley County."
Submit sites having to do with the town of Whitney, Texas. If the site is of broader interest, consider submitting it to the Counties:Hill category.
"Whitney is at the intersection of State Highway 22 and Farm roads 933 and 1244, two miles southeast of Lake Whitney and twelve miles southwest of Hillsboro in western Hill County... The Whitney Dam and Reservoir Project was authorized in 1944... After the dam was completed the population dropped to 1,050 by 1960. The community went into an economic recession. Although some farms remained, farming was not as important after 15,800 acres of farm land was inundated by the lake. Ranching became more important in the area."
Submit sites having to do with the town of Whitsett, Texas. If the site is of broader interest, consider submitting it to the Counties:Live Oak category.
"Whitsett is at the intersection of U.S. Highway 281 and Farm Road 99, on the Missouri Pacific Railroad fifteen miles north of Three Rivers in northwest Live Oak County. ... In [1938] Jess Ray Pullin installed a one-cylinder diesel engine in his machine shop that provided electricity for the community until 1943, when the Rural Electrification Association connected with Whitsett."
Submit sites having to do with the town of Whitt, Texas. If the site is of broader interest, consider submitting it to the Counties:Parker category.
"Whitt is at the intersection of Farm roads 2891 and 52, twelve miles northwest of Weatherford in northwestern Parker County."
This category includes local educational institutions, programs, opportunities, and resources. It also includes alumni clubs and class reunions.
There is currently no description created for this category.
Submit sites having to do with the town of Wickett, Texas. If the site is of broader interest, consider submitting it to the Counties:Ward category.
"Wickett is at the intersection of U.S. Highway 80 and Farm Road 1219, on the Missouri Pacific Railroad in northeastern Ward County. ... The opening of the Hendrick oilfield in 1926 established Wickett as a tank and refining center."
Submit sites having to do with the town of Wiergate, Texas. If the site is of broader interest, consider submitting it to the Counties:Newton category.
"Wiergate is on Farm Road 1415 just off State highways 87 and 63, seventy miles northeast of Beaumont in north central Newton County. ... a mill with a cutting capacity of 200,000 board feet every ten hours. In its heyday Wiergate was in all respects a company town. With a peak population of perhaps as many as 2,500 persons, it had a company-owned commissary, a drugstore, a barbershop, an ice plant, a depot, a swimming pool, a movie theater, and two schools and community houses (one for blacks, one for whites)."
Submit sites having to do with the town of Wildorado, Texas. If the site is of broader interest, consider submitting it to the Counties:Oldham category.
"Wildorado, on Interstate Highway 40 (U.S. Highway 66) in southeastern Oldham County, is named for nearby Wildorado Creek... By 1915 Wildorado had telephone connections, a grocer, a general store, a lumber company, a blacksmith, a hardware store, a school, two churches, and a population of 100. ... The town endured droughts and dust storms throughout the late 1920s and 1930s. During this period the state bank and the neighboring grain and mercantile store were robbed and burglarized more than once by desperadoes from Borger."
Submit sites having to do with the town of Willis, Texas. If the site is of broader interest, consider submitting it to the Counties:Montgomery or Localities:Lake Conroe category.
"Willis, a lumbering and agricultural market town, is on the Missouri Pacific Railroad eight miles north of Conroe in north central Montgomery County... By the late 1870s Willis had become a prosperous shipping point for timber and agricultural commodities and a center for the manufacture of lumber products, wagons, and agricultural implements... During the late nineteenth century the Willis area became the leading tobacco growing region in the state; before the lifting of the tariff on Cuban tobacco killed the boom in the early twentieth century, Willis supported as many as seven cigar factories. As tobacco culture declined, a boom in the production of timber and agricultural products kept the town's economy thriving... Finally, in the late 1960s and early 1970s, Willis's growth resumed as construction of Lake Conroe began five miles to the west on the West Fork of the San Jacinto River."
Submit sites having to do with the town of Willow City, Texas. If the site is of broader interest, consider submitting it to the Counties:Gillespie category.
"Willow City is on Willow Creek 11½ miles northeast of Fredericksburg in northeastern Gillespie County. The earliest recorded settler before the Civil War was a slaveholding Baptist preacher reported to harbor a strong dislike for the neighboring Germans.... early settlers traded mostly in Austin because they preferred dealing with other Anglo-Americans rather than with the Germans in nearby Fredericksburg. The town prospered and gained an early reputation as a criminal hangout."
Health products can be found under "Shopping". Health and Beauty products and services can be found under "Business and Economy".
There is currently no description created for this category.
Submit sites having to do with the town of Wills Point, Texas. If the site is of broader interest, consider submitting it to the Counties:Van Zandt category.
"Wills Point is on U.S. Highway 80 and the Missouri-Pacific Railroad, fourteen miles northwest of Canton in northwestern Van Zandt County... Citizens of the prosperous town held a county election on May 16, 1877, to move the county seat from Canton to Wills Point. A vote of 705 for the change and 523 against failed to obtain a two-thirds majority required to transfer the county seat. Wills Point claimed election fraud, and the violence that followed required the assistance of the state militia... By the middle of the twentieth century the town was known for its wild roses, elms, and pecan trees. It is also known as the "Gateway to Tawakoni" for its access to the Lake Tawakoni recreation area."
Submit sites having to do with the town of Wilmer, Texas. If the site is of broader interest, consider submitting it to the Counties:Dallas category.
"Wilmer is at the junction of Interstate Highway 45/U.S. Highway 75 and Cottonwood Creek, fourteen miles southeast of downtown Dallas in southeastern Dallas County... On July 4, 1929, a fire destroyed most of the business district, including one of its two banks. Fire trucks arrived but were unable to pump enough water from Wilmer's shallow wells... In 1945 Wilmer was incorporated ... primarily to implement a public water system. By the late 1940s the community had not implemented a water system because of the enormous expense. This lack of available water gave Wilmer one of the highest fire insurance rates in the country."
Submit sites having to do with the town of Wilson, Texas. If the site is of broader interest, consider submitting it to the Counties:Lynn category.
"Wilson is on the Santa Fe Railroad and Farm Road 400, thirteen miles northeast of Tahoka in the northeastern quadrant of Lynn County."
Some types of businesses are located under other categories, such as the Arts and Entertainment, Recreation and Sports, and Travel and Tourism categories. If you are looking for a business related to one of our other listed topics, check there.
There is currently no description created for this category.
Submit sites having to do with the community of Windcrest, Texas. If the site is of broader interest, consider submitting it to the Counties:Bexar or Metro Areas:San Antonio category.
"Windcrest is just west of the intersection of Interstate Highway 35 and Loop 410, ten miles northeast of downtown San Antonio in northeastern Bexar County."
Submit sites having to do with the town of Windom, Texas. If the site is of broader interest, consider submitting it to the Counties:Fannin category.
"Windom is on U.S. Highway 82, Farm Road 1743, and the Missouri Pacific line, ten miles east of Bonham in east central Fannin County.... Local legend attributes the name to its windblown location."
Submit sites having to do with the town of Winfield, Texas. If the site is of broader interest, consider submitting it to the Counties:Titus category.
"Winfield is on U.S. Highway 67, Interstate Highway 30, and the St. Louis Southwestern Railway, eight miles west of Mount Pleasant in western Titus County."
Submit sites having to do with the town of Wingate, Texas. If the site is of broader interest, consider submitting it to the Counties:Runnels category.
"Wingate is on Farm Road 53 thirteen miles northwest of Winters in northwest Runnels County."
Submit sites having to do with the town of Wink, Texas. If the site is of broader interest, consider submitting it to the Counties:Winkler category.
"Wink is on Monument Draw, State Highway 115, and Farm Road 1232, seven miles southwest of Kermit in southwestern Winkler County. It began in 1926, when oil was discovered in Winkler County."
Submit sites having to do with the town of Winnie, Texas. If the site is of broader interest, consider submitting it to the Counties:Chambers category.
"Winnie, is at the junction of State Highway 124 and Interstate Highway 10, twenty-five miles southwest of Beaumont in eastern Chambers County... A devastating hurricane and severe declines in post-World War I rice prices impaired local agriculture, which depended heavily on the rice and cattle industries. Efforts to develop fruits and vegetables in the region also proved unsuccessful. The exception to this was the fig industry, which was successful in the Winnie-Stowell area during the early 1900s. Several fig-processing plants were built in the area, but the industry died out around 1920... The Stowell oilfield was discovered north and east of Winnie in 1941."
Submit sites having to do with the town of Winnsboro, Texas. If the site is of broader interest, consider submitting it to the Counties:Wood or Counties:Franklin category.
"Winnsboro (Winnsborough) ... is at the junction of State highways 11 and 37, fifteen miles northeast of Quitman in northeastern Wood County and extends into Franklin County."
Submit sites having to do with the town of Winona, Texas. If the site is of broader interest, consider submitting it to the Counties:Smith category.
"Winona is at the intersection of Farm Road 16 and State Highway 155, three miles north of Owentown in northeastern Smith County. The area ... was inhabited by Delaware Indians as early as 1818."
Submit sites having to do with the town of Winters, Texas. If the site is of broader interest, consider submitting it to the Counties:Runnels category.
"Winters is on U.S. Highway 83, Farm roads 1770 and 53, and the Missouri-Pacific Railroad, in north central Runnels County... The population was 163 in 1892, and the town continued to grow. A brass band was organized in 1901 and toured widely in West Texas for years... Manufactured items include air conditioning equipment, metals, lenses, outdoor lighted signs, and aircraft parts. Annual events include a show sponsored by the West Texas Shetland Pony Breeders Association."
Lists sites relating to Wixon Valley, Texas; or that of businesses, organizations, or individuals residing there.
Lists sites relating to Wixon Valley, Texas; or that of businesses, organizations, or individuals residing there.
Submit sites having to do with the town of Woden, Texas. If the site is of broader interest, consider submitting it to the Counties:Nacogdoches category.
"Woden is on State Highway 226 eight miles southeast of Nacogdoches in northern Nacogdoches County...A post office was established in 1886, and the name was changed to Woden, after the father of the Teutonic gods... Many of the residents work in Nacogdoches or Lufkin."
Submit sites having to do with the town of Wolfe City, Texas. If the site is of broader interest, consider submitting it to the Counties:Hunt category.
"Wolfe City is at the intersection of State highways 34 and 11, seventeen miles north of Greenville in north central Hunt County. It was settled in the late 1860s or early 1870s, when J. Pinckney Wolfe built a mill near the banks of Oyster Creek."
Submit sites having to do with the town of Wolfforth, Texas. If the site is of broader interest, consider submitting it to the Counties:Lubbock category.
"Wolfforth is on U.S. highway 62/82, Farm Road 179, and the Santa Fe Railroad, eleven miles southwest of Lubbock in southwestern Lubbock County."
Submit sites having to do with the town of Woodlake, Texas. If the site is of broader interest, consider submitting it to the Counties:Trinity category.
"Woodlake is on U.S. Highway 287 four miles southeast of Groveton in southeastern Trinity County. The area was settled around the time of the Civil War... During the 1920s Helen Kerr Thompson, a relative of the original mill owner, organized a model farm. A trading post, a community center, and a number of houses were constructed, but the project failed in the late 1920s because of the combined effects of the Great Depression and the demise of the Waco, Beaumont, Trinity and Sabine Railway... Most of the community buildings and much of the equipment was sold to the Baptist Church of East Texas, which erected a youth camp."
Submit sites having to do with the town of Woodlawn, Texas. If the site is of broader interest, consider submitting it to the Counties:Harrison category.
"Woodlawn is at the intersection of U.S. Highway 59 and Farm Road 1997, on the Union Pacific Railroad eight miles north of Marshall in north central Harrison County... Woodlawn began to grow again in the 1960s, possibly in response to the development of the nearby Woodlawn gas field."
Submit sites having to do with the town of Woodsboro, Texas. If the site is of broader interest, consider submitting it to the Counties:Refugio category.
"Woodsboro is in southwestern Refugio County five miles southwest of the city of Refugio at the intersection of U.S. Highway 77 and Farm Road 2441... by February 1907 Johnson and Pugh had completed the town's first structure, a wooden hotel built to house prospective land buyers. ("This is the Real Garden of the Lord," a large sign painted on the side of the hotel advised visitors.)"
Submit sites having to do with the town of Woodson, Texas. If the site is of broader interest, consider submitting it to the Counties:Throckmorton category.
"Woodson, on U.S. Highway 183 and Farm roads 209 and 1710, in southeastern Throckmorton County, is the second largest town in the county... The population was 600 in 1940 but has declined since then because of the greater attraction of Throckmorton and Albany in Shackelford County... Lake Woodson is northwest of town on Kings Creek."
Submit sites having to do with the town of Woodville, Texas. If the site is of broader interest, consider submitting it to the Counties:Tyler category.
"Woodville is on U.S. highways 190, 69, and 287 and the Texas and New Orleans Railroad, near the geographical center of Tyler County... Sawmilling dominated the life of the area through the first half of the twentieth century... In 1986 the community had two newspapers, the Tyler County Booster and the Woodsman; two museums, the Allan Shivers Museum and Heritage Garden Village, a museum of local pioneer history; an airport; a hospital; two nursing homes; and a jail. Special events included the annual Dogwood Festival the first weekend in April, which followed Western Weekend the last week of March."
Submit sites having to do with the town of Woodway, Texas. If the site is of broader interest, consider submitting it to the Counties:McLennan category.
"Woodway, or Woodway Village, is adjacent to the southwestern city limits of Waco between U.S. Highway 84 and State Highway 6, in west central McLennan County. ... A few businesses [are] located in Woodway, but there [are] no industries; most of the work force commute[s] to nearby Waco."
Submit sites having to do with the town of Wortham, Texas. If the site is of broader interest, consider submitting it to the Counties:Freestone category.
"Wortham, an incorporated city, is at the junction of State Highway 14 and Farm Road 27, sixteen miles west of Fairfield in extreme western Freestone County... As early as 1912 C. L. Witherspoon, hired by the city to drill a water well, struck a pocket of natural gas... and on November 27, 1924, the Roy Simmons No. 1 well came in as a gusher. Within three weeks more than 300 drilling rigs were in the field... The onset of the Great Depression, plummeting cotton prices, and the end of the oil boom combined to bring hard times for Wortham." Blues legend "Blind" Lemon Jefferson began his career in the Wortham area, and is buried in the Wortham Black Cemetery.
Submit sites having to do with the town of Wrightsboro, Texas. If the site is of broader interest, consider submitting it to the Counties:Gonzales category.
"Wrightsboro is located on Farm Road 108 twelve miles southwest of Gonzales in southwestern Gonzales County. It was settled about 1851 and named for L.C. Wright, an early settler from Alabama."
Category for sites about the lake, businesses and organizations located on the shores of the lake, or services directly related to activities on the lake. Sites must be specific for this lake. If there is a community (locality) on the shores of the lake, sites specific to that community should be submitted to the proper community category.
Wright Patman Lake is on the Sulphur River eleven miles southwest of Texarkana in Bowie and Cass counties. It also extends into Morris, Titus, and Red River counties. Caddo Indians, the most culturally advanced tribe in Texas, once made this area their home. The Caddos settled the area peacefully as farmers, unlike their nomadic and warlike brothers, the Apaches and Comanches.
Submit sites having to do with the town of Wylie, Texas. If the site is of broader interest, consider submitting it to the Counties:Collin category.
"Wylie is on State Highway 78 sixteen miles south of McKinney in south central Collin County. It was organized in the early 1870s and originally called Nickelville."
Copyright © 1998-2014 AOL Inc. Terms of Use
Last update: Saturday, October 13, 2007 12:47:25 AM EDT - edit