Settled mostly by Scotch-Irish sometime between 1732 and 1765, Harrisburg, still home to families that arrived in the 1700s, came by its name from the Robert Harris family and his descendants. Mr. Harris was established on land of his own here in 1766. With the coming of the railroad in the 1850s, the depot took the name of the landowner from whom the right-of-way was purchased, becoming known as Harris Depot. In 1874 the Post Office underwent a change of name from Harris Depot to Harrisburg.