The Town of Lorraine, the middle of the three southernmost towns of Jefferson County, is about six miles square. Oswego County forms its southern border. On the west is Ellisburgh, north are Adams and Rodman, west is Worth, which was part of Lorraine until 1848. Settlement began in Lorraine while it was still part of the town of Mexico, Oneida County. On March 24, 1804, the legislature created several towns, of which Malta was one, but since Saratoga County already had a Town of Malta, the name soon changed to the present Lorraine. Lorraine was noted for its many gorges, and the elevation as well as the cheaper land prices brought many settlers within its borders.
Tips for Faster Acceptance:
- This category is reserved for sites based in Lorraine. To find a different locality and submit there, navigate to the list of localities found under New York State.
- Location must be clearly shown, preferably by address or local phone number.
- Submitted title should match the name of the organization or entity. The description should be factual. Don''t use Excessive Capitalization or ALL CAPS.
- Submit to a topical sub-category when possible. Compare existing listings for best results.