In Partnership with AOL Search
 
Please submit only sites related to arts and entertainment located within the Oak Brook village limits.

Examples include libraries, museums, architecture, photography services, music, theatre, visual and audio production, and bands and artists, including bands for hire.

Incorporated in 1958, Oak Brook is a suburb located approximately 18 miles west of Chicago, Illinois. A small east section of the village is located in Cook County, though the majority is in DuPage County. The 2000 total population was estimated at 9,789. Oak Brook is one of the Chicago area's top centers for shopping and corporate offices. Businesses such as fast-food giant McDonald's Corporation, Ace Hardware and Federal Signal Corporation are headquartered there. Major interstates 294, 290, and 88 are minutes away. O'Hare International Airport (ORD) is 10 miles and Midway Airport (MDW) is 16 miles away.
Submissions should only consist of entries which are physically located within the city limits of the Village of Oak Lawn. If not, please submit to the nearest appropriate locality.
The first known settler in Oak Lawn, Illinois was John Simpson. In 1842, he traded his gold watch for the bank stock to purchase property near 93rd Street and Central Avenue. He settled there with his wife and children in the home he built in the fall of 1858. This property is now known as Homestead Barr. By 1860, Black Oaks Grove, later Oak Lawn, had its first school (Northeast corner of 95th Street and 55th Avenue). Following the Civil War, a large number of German immigrants were drawn to settle in the area and organized Trinity Lutheran Church (presently the site of Max Madsen's 5000 W. 95th Street). For a short time, early in the 1880's, Oak Lawn was named after a woman. The Wabash Railroad Station Master, Henry Crouch, applied for and received a post office here, naming it after his wife, Agnes. The Wabash Railroad laid the tracks, ready for service in 1881. On February 4, 1909, the first citizens' meeting was held in Larson's Hall, 2nd floor (now the St. James Place Tavern, formerly the Oak Lawn Family Shoe Store, 5305 W. 95th ST.) to plan for Oak Lawn to become an incorporated area. The boundaries at the time were 87th Street North, 99th Street South, 48th Street (Cicero) East and 56th Avenue (Central) West. Incorporation was granted May 13, 1909. The population was 287. Reference: Village of Oak Lawn Village President: Ernest Kolb Population: 56,380 (1996)
Olney is the county seat for Richland County, Illinois.
Orland Hills is a relatively new community (incorporated in 1961) adjacent to the northwest corner of Tinley Park.
Please submit only sites dealing with Oswego Illinois health in this category.
There is currently no description created for this category.
Copyright © 1998-2014 AOL Inc. Terms of Use
Last update: Friday, November 7, 2008 11:18:40 PM EST - edit