This category is for sites for or about artistic, cultural, entertainment activities, events, institutions, and organizations located in the City of Chicago. Subjects may include theatre, fine and visual arts, music, literature, architecture, libraries, photography, clubs and venues, as well as bands and artists, including bands for hire.
Includes links to varied, non-business, architectural resources located within the City of Chicago. Sites may include but not limited to: architectural foundations, personal pages focused on the city's architecture, associations, famous names, landscape architecture, and related material.
This category is for sites about Chicago artists and local places that sell art. This includes both stores and other art-selling venues, such as regular weekend art shows in public parks.
This category contains links to resources related to Chicago's comedy scene. Sites may include, but not limited to:
- Comedians - based in Chicago
- Comedy Clubs
- Comedy Agencies
- Comedy Directories
- Comedy Education (schools, workshops, instruction)
- Comedy Events and Awards (such as festivals)
- Improv or Stand up
- Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual comedy groups or comedians
This top "Middle Eastern Dance" category is intended solely for sites that have a SIGNIFICANT amount of educational or entertaining content. If your site is NOT educational in nature, please submit to the appropriate sub-category, as follows:
- CLUBS. For community-oriented areas with discussion boards such as Yahoo clubs.
- EVENTS. For web sites that promote specific dance events, such as festivals, haflas, and workshops.
- LINK COLLECTIONS. For web sites whose primary focus is on delivering a list of Oriental dance links to other places on the web. Entries in this category should have at least 20 or more links likely to interest dancers.
- MIDDLE EASTERN MUSIC. For educational information about this type of music. This has further subcategories for instruments and shopping.
- PERSONAL PAGES. For pages that feature the site owner''s home, family, pets, and belly dancing hobby.
- TEACHERS AND PERFORMERS. For commercial pages that feature classes by a certain teacher or appearances by a certain performer.
- VENDORS. For commercial pages that feature merchandise available from a particular vendor.
Sites that are obviously incomplete (ie, a significant number of choices lead to either error messages or "under construction" messages) are not accepted.
For the listing of sites offering information pertaining to special events in the City of Chicago.
If your site is not specifically geared towards this community, please submit to the proper category.
Submitting to the wrong category will delay and/or prevent your site from being listed in the directory.
- When writing your site''s title please ensure it is the same as your organization.
- When writing your site''s description, please tell what your site offers in a clear and concise statement without hype or promotional language.
Thank-you for your cooperation.
includes links to websites dealing with a wide range of subjects and interests which span the entire length and breadth of the literary arts within the City of Chicago:
Webpages devoted to specific, recognized authors, sites on book-collecting, sites covering specific genres and types of literature, and even online editions of specific works by numerous recognized authors and poets of the past as well as no few of the present.
Chicago is known as the birthplace of poetry slam
Includes links to print magazines or publications that cover the arts and entertainment events and venues of Chicago.
For magazines not specifically focused on arts, music, dance, literature, and entertainment, please forward submission to the Chicago: News and Media: Magazines
This category contains links to resources associated with movies within the City of Chicago. Sites are not limited to movie theatres.
The Chicago music scene is as diverse as the city. This category and its subcategories include Chicago-based resources centered around music.
Sites and categories may include, but not limited to:
- Bands and Artists - contains bands/artists who offer a range of styles, often for hire for local events and occasions.
- Styles - contains bands/artists focused on a single style, such as Jazz, Blues, Opera, or Rock.
- Clubs and Venues - includes music clubs and entertainment halls. If enough sites exist for a particular style, such as Jazz Clubs or Blues Clubs, a subcategory may be made (also, it will be linked from the "Styles" category).
- Education - includes schools, training and instruction provided by local organizations, institutions, or individuals.
- Record Labels - includes recording management companies that sign local and national talent.
Please submit to the most appropriate subcategory, when possible.
Please submit descriptions that include information on site details (for example, does the site have a mailing list, tour schedule, audio samples, profile of artist) and so on.
Please avoid first person pronouns ("we", "you" and "I" type wording.)
Please consider being an editor of the Chicago team of editors.
Includes links and @link subcategories related to the performing arts within the City of Chicago.
(or Theater) refers to the performing arts form usually conducted on a stage in front of a live audience.
Sites may include, but not limited to:
- Theatre companies, troupes, touring groups, venues, and productions.
- Forms of long form theatre such as: experimental, improvisational, physical theatre, pantomime, Shakespearean, and musicals.
- Education programs, schools, training and instruction.
- Guides and directories for theatre within the city.
- Support organizations, charities, festivals, events, and special events.
- Backstage production such as: stage management, sound and lighting design, stagecraft and technical.