Ontario counties have had varied histories. A number of counties, such as Ontario County and Toronto County, have long ago disappeared as the province grew. Through past redistribution schemes some were amalgamated while others gave up territory which became distinctly separate counties. For example, Wellington County gave rise to parts of Dufferin. That happened over one hundred years ago, but even today, Dufferin and Wellington share many services. Such redistribution and amalgamation still goes on even today
Along with county sub-divisions, the province also has administrative districts, hence the name of this category is Counties and Districts. Parry Sound District is an example of a district. .
At the time of this writing, Ontario had 39 remaining county or district sub-divisions. Through more recent reorganization and in a few instances of amalgamation, a number of Ontario counties became the parents of newer administrative areas known as Regional Municipalities. For example, The Regional Municipality of York has its roots in York County, while The Regional Municipality of Waterloo is the end product of Waterloo County. In a few cases, counties were combined or united as in the case of Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry Counties are considered a single united administrative district.
The names of such recently altered counties remain in this category for historical reference. The changes are recent occurrences, and many people still think in terms of the original county, rather than the newer locality, or maybe even of both. Still they are linked directly to the newer locality.
The following list includes counties which no longer exist in their original form, but instead in a Regional Municipality, or other context. They are the Counties of Dundas, Durhham, Glengarry, Haldimand, Halton, Kent, Lincoln, Peel, Victoria, Waterloo, Welland, Wentworth and York.
If your site is oriented to a particular locality, please submit it in the correct city in the Ontario Localities category
Only sites that are relevant to an entire county should be submitted in one of the counties here.
Sites acceptable for inclusion in Counties and Districts include these:
- county-wide agencies
- county governments
- clubs and organizations focusing or drawing memberships from mainly the county
- business having physical locations or offices in more than one county locality
Located in south-central Ontario, Canada. Orangeville, the County seat, is located about 120 km north-west of Toronto. Dufferin County has an area of 1,442 km2 (557 square miles) and a population of 40,997 (1994). There are three towns: Mono, Orangeville and Shelburne, and five rural townships: Amaranth, East Garafraxa, East Luther Grand Valley, Melancthon, and Mulmur. Over half of the County's population lives in Orangeville.
Named after Lord Dufferin, who was Governor-General of Canada from 1872 to 1878, the county was formed in 1881 from parts of the Counties of Grey, Simcoe, and Wellington. The original County consisted of the Towns of Orangeville and Shelburne and five townships: Mono, Mulmur, Melancthon, Amaranth, and East Garafraxa. (The Township of East Luther was transferred from Wellington County in 1883.)
Because of geography and economy (the upper Grand River watershed), Dufferin and Wellington Counties remain strongly tied in many ways. Organizations with names prefixed with "Upper Grand" and "Grand Valley" are found in both counties.
The most southerly part of Ontario, and of Canada, the county is bordered on the north by Lake St. Clair, on the west by The Detroit River and along the south by Lake Erie. The neighbouring county, Kent, is to the East.
Parts of Essex County lie farther south than Northern California. There is a locality near Kingsville which is called New California. This part of Essex County also contains Canada's Lake Erie islands, the largest of which is Pelee.
The county's industry is largely agricultural and is known for some of Canada's finest field and greenhouse produce. The major urban centre is Windsor, home to a large segment of Canada's auto industry. Windsor is situated across the river from Detroit, Michigan.
Most websites are listed in the localities where they are based, not at Hastings level. Please suggest your website to the nearest locality category.
The County of Leeds and Grenville consists of:
City of Brockville
Town of Gananoque
Town of Prescott
Township of Athens & Rear of Yonge & Escott
Township of Augusta
Township of Edwardsburgh
Township of Elizabethtown - Kitley
Township of Leeds & the Thousand Islands
Township of Front of Yonge
Township of North Grenville
Township of Rideau Lakes
Village of Merrickville-Wolford
Village of Westport
Lennox & Addington County consists of four regions: Town of Greater Napanee, Loyalist Township, Stone Mills Township, and Addington Highlands Township. It is located on the South Shore of Prince Edward County.
Do not submit listings to this category. The category contains only reference links.
The District of Muskoka was established by Provincial legislation and commenced operations on January 1, 1971.
It is bordered on the North by Parry Sound District, to the South by Simcoe County, to the East by Nipissing District and Haliburton County On the West it is bordered by Georgian Bay.
According to the Algonkin native language, Muskoka is loosely translated as "the land of red earth." Both the Muskoka and Parry Sound Districts have been well known to tourists for over 100 years.
This category lists general interest online guides and directories specific to the region; those that are specific to a particular topic should instead be placed within the appropriate topic subcategory within the region.
Do not submit listings to this category. The category contains only reference links.
Do not submit listings to this category. The category contains only links to the communities in the county.
Do not submit listings to this category. The category only contains links to the communities in the county.
The Parry Sound District is bordered on the South by Muskoka District and Simcoe County, to the North by Temiskaming District and to the East by Nipissing District and Haliburton County On the West it is bordered by Georgian Bay.
Listing for sites about the county as a whole.
The United Counties of Prescott and Russell are located between Ottawa (to the West) and the Quebec border (to the East).
It is made up of eight local municipalities: Clarence-Rockland, Casselman, Municipality of the Nation, Hawkesbury, Township of Alfred & Plantagenet, Township of Champlain, Township of East Hawkesbury, and
Township of Russell.
The Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry County is located along the St. Lawrence River in the south-eastern corner of Ontario. It consists the City of Cornwall and the Townships of North Dundas, North Glengarry, North Stormont, South Dundas, South Glengarry, and South Stormont.
Web sites within this category are relevant to the entire district of Thunder Bay within the province of Ontario Canada.
Please submit only sites relating to the district of Thunder Bay. Sites relating to specific cities or towns within the district should be placed within those subcategories.
Wellington County became a corporation sole on December 30, 1853 and held its first council meeting on January 23, 1854. The municipality was named after Arthur Wellesley, the first Duke of Wellington.
Parts of Wellington were ceded during the 1880s to the County of Dufferin, which was then emerging as a settled area of Ontario. Although this occurred over 100 years ago, the two counties are still closely tied, and even today Wellington and Dufferin share a number of organizations and institutions.
Located to the west of Toronto, north of Hamilton and east of Kitchener/Waterloo, Wellington County is part of Canada's Technology Triangle. Major communities in the county include the City of Guelph, the towns of Fergus, Elora, Arthur, Harriston, Palmerston and Mount Forest and the smaller communities of Rockwood, Erin, Alma and Clifford, among others.
Wellington County contains rich farmland and diverse scenic beauty. Much of it is drained by the Eramosa, Grand, Speed and Irvine Rivers in the south, and the Saugeen River in the north.
It is predominantly a rural, agricultural area with the City of Guelph as its main urban centre. Guelph is located in the south part of the County. The population of the County including the City of Guelph is 170,000. The rural population is 69,348 living on a land mass of some 245,671 hectares of which just under 20% is forested.
There are 461 km of rural roads and 78 km of suburban roads. Major roadways traversing it are the 401, Highway 7 and Highway 9 running east to west and Highway 6, which runs north to south. A series of secondary provincial highways including 24, 27, 85 and 89 also make up the main roads system.
Submit only sites which have a clear Wellington County-wide focus, or sites for businesses or organizations having multiple branches in more than one Wellington County community.