Gommern followed from a slavish settlement in a rampart castle which was placed on hill in the Ehletal. The water castle still exists today and is regarded as a landmark of the town.
In 1575 it is first mentioned as a borough from which it develops to a small market town in the 2nd half of the 17th century.
Many companies from the quarry and mining industry find their home in this townand finally it becomes a centre for the mineral oil natural gas industry in the former east Germany (GDR).
Despite or probably because of the former quarries Gommern has become a pleasant small town in the heart of Saxony Anhalt sourrounded by forests, lakes and rivers.