Please submit sites offering comprehensive listings of advisories and patches to this category.Advisories and patches relating to security issues.
Sites relating to groups researching new vulnerabilities/exploits should be submitted to: Computers/Hacking/Groups.
Sites which are submitted within this category should relate specifically to computer authentication. This can include standards for authentication, software and hardware tools and systems for authentication. Items relating specifically to authentication using biometrics should be submitted directly to the biometric section (Computers:Security:Biometrics). Sites relating to other authentication (like home or office security systems) and sites relating to copy-protection and copy-identification schemes (like digital watermarking) are not suitable for this category and won''t be listed.Authentication is the method a computer uses to ensure that you are who you say you are. Authentication can be as simple as requesting a password. More complex authentication schemes involve voice printing technology, fingerprint or retinal scans. In some systems, users carry smart cards which are part of the authentication.
Companies that offer only one type of biometric service/product (for example, only face recognition) should be listed in that specific subcategory instead of here.Biometric authentication is the science of verifying a person's identity based on personal characteristics, such as voice, facial characteristics and fingerprints. Biometrics are used to create security solutions for multiple markets, including network, data, telephony, Internet and physical access.
Please submit only Security consultancy businesses that offer a full range of services to this category, if you operate in a niche for which a subcategory exists - please submit your site to the relevant subcategory.Security consultants generally give advice regarding security, crime prevention, and loss prevention. True security consultants are independent and non-product affiliated. This category includes information systems related consulting services in environmental design, security system design and specification, access control, physical security, protection of assets, theft prevention, crime prevention, loss prevention, executive protection, information security, special event security, emergency and disaster planning, and security training. Some consultants in this field perform security surveys and risk analysis and make recommendations on how to reduce the threat. Some consultants make crime foreseeability assessments and adequacy of security evaluations. Some security consultants testify as an expert witness in litigation. Before making a submission in this category, consider whether the site proposed is more involved in the design, development or sales of products than the provision of consulting services. If the former, the submission is likely to be rejected or redirected to another category that might not be your category of choice. If you are submitting a URL to this directory, please keep in mind that all submissions must be reviewed by volunteer editors of the Open Directory Project (ODP). Thus, multiple submissions of the same site to inappropriate categories will not improve your chances for being listed in this directory and may result in your site being blacklisted from ODP. This may also happen if you submit your site to a number of directories which use ODP data, but forward new submissions to ODP. Please take a moment to review the ODP Editorial Guidelines, and carefully choose the ODP categories to which you submit your site.
Please submit only sites containing lists of sites or software relating to computer security.Lists of computer security related sites or software, sometimes with a brief description and not, generally, including additional information.
Please note if your site uses ODP data - it should be submitted to Computers/Internet/Searching/Directories/Open_Directory_Project/Sites_Using_ODP_Data/ rather than here.
Only general FAQs, Help, and Tutorials, Articles and How-to''s on choosing, configuring and using firewalls should be submitted to this category. Those submissions which do not seem to fit in one of the subcategories should be submitted to the main firewall category.There is currently no description created for this category.
Please be sure that you are submitting to the appropriate category:The Internet is an insecure place. - a common view of security on the Internet. This is not necessarily true, but vulnerabilities and exploits do exist. Many different protocols and tools have been developed to enhance the security on the Internet as these problems are discovered.
Also, please remember that the Open Directory Project is managed by volunteers with limited time, showing the consideration to do the following may allow us to process your submission faster:
- This category covers Internet-specific security issues.
- This category does not cover "hacking" or "cracking" sites, those are more appropriately listed in Computers/Hacking or one of its subcategories.
- Read the editorial guidelines at http://dmoz.org/guidelines.html
- Supply an accurate title and description for your site.
- Submit your site only to the most appropriate category or categories - keep in mind that multiple listings are VERY rare, and large numbers of inappropriate submissions may make your site ineligible for future listings.
- Please don''t waste your time and ours by submitting "affiliate" links, as described in our guidelines, they will be promptly deleted.
Please submit only sites related to security of computer systems, NOT computerized security systems etc. Also anti-virus/worms/trojan/root-kit software has a separate category.Intrusion detection systems, sometimes referred to as IDS, are tools or methods for detecting when a network or computer has been subject to unauthorized access.
Sites are generally not listed at this level, so you will need to find a more specific sub-category to which you may suggest your URL.
- There are sub-categories for Spyware and Adware, Trojan Horses, Viruses, and Worms.
- If you are submitting a web page representing a service with technicians that remove malicious software from computers, please submit it to the appropriate sub-category within the Regional/ branch.
- If your site consists solely of affiliate links to removal software pages, please do not submit it to any category.
We do not knowingly list rogue anti-spyware products. If you notice one of the sites listed is for a rogue anti-spyware product, please post in the abuse reporting forum at http://resource-zone.com/ , citing your sources of evidence, and your allegation will be investigated.
Malicious Software (also known as malware) refers to viruses, trojans, worms, spyware, and similar threats.
This category deals in understanding and protecting against these threats, not in promoting them.
Please be advised that your site must contain what editors consider to be original or unique material or delivery to be included in this category.Sites offering general computer security news.
News aggregators and vendor white papers are a dime a dozen, and will be deleted on sight.
All Security Groups which offer CERT services should use [CERT] in their site description.Security Groups including sites to security groups from national or regional relevance. Some are offering services for security as CERT (Computer Emergency Response Teams).
Sites submitted should be related to the creation, definition or implementation of a management policy and procedures outlining the minimal expectations for maintaining security of a corporate network. These can include any aspect of computer security, hardware or software based.The computer security policy is a statement by management of the minimum expectations to maintain the confidentiality, integrity and availability of the corporate network and all data stored on the network. The style, content and specific objectives of each policy are dependent on the environment, security requirements and corporate culture specific to each organization.
Software and hardware products and tools that provide security functionality.
Please only submit software and hardware products and tools that provide security functionality to this category if you cannot find a more appropriate subcategory or category elsewhere in the directory. This category level gets a lot of submissions, and the vast majority of them do not actually belong here at all.
What does belong here.
- Security companies whose product range covers more than one of the subcategories.
- Security products which provide features that cross-over multiple subcategories.
- Security products and tools which do not currently have a category of their own.
What does NOT belong here.
Please note these Generic categories are also not normally appropriate to submit sites to directly, but they are a good starting point to locating the correct category for your product. Please study their descriptions, subcategories, @links and related links carefully before submitting sites to them.
- General products that provide Internet related security - These belong in (or in a subcat of, or as directed from): Computers/Security/Internet/Products_and_Tools/
- Network security tools that do not fit clearly in another category belong in Computers/Software/Networking/Security/
This list is provided to help you find the correct category for your site. Please study it carefully to see if your product falls into one of these classifications.
- Anonymous surfing CLIENTS (locally installed applications that connects to proxies) - These belong in (or in a subcat of): Computers/Software/Internet/Clients/Encryption_and_Privacy/
- Anonymous proxy SERVERS (web based services that preserve browsing anonymity) - These belong in (or in a subcat of): Computers/Internet/Proxies/
- Anonymous proxy server SOFTWARE (e.g. that you host and configure on your own machine) - belongs in (or in a subcat of): Computers/Software/Internet/Servers/Proxy/
- Anti virus products belong in (or in a subcat of): Computers/Security/Anti_Virus/Products/
- Biometrics software belongs in (or in a subcat of): Computers/Security/Biometrics/Software/
- Filtering software (e.g. blocking popup adverts and adult content) belongs in (or in a subcat of): Computers/Software/Internet/Servers/Proxy/Filtering/
- Firewalls - These belong in (or in a subcat of): Computers/Security/Firewalls/Products/
- Internet privacy (Spyware removal, Internet browsing history removal tools) - These belong in (or in a subcat of): Computers/Security/Internet/Privacy/Products_and_Tools
- Intruder detection tools belong in (or in a subcat of): Computers/Security/Intrusion_Detection_Systems/
- PKI related tools belong in (or in a subcat of): Computers/Security/Public_Key_Infrastructure/Tools_and_Services/
- Virtual Private Networking software belongs in (or in a subcat of):Computers/Security/Virtual_Private_Networks/
- WAP security tools belong in Computers/Mobile_Computing/Wireless_Data/WAP/Security/
OPERATING SYSTEM SPECIFIC
Please note - You should only submit security tools to these categories if they work SOLELY for a specific operating system AND if there is no more appropriate ''function specific'' category.
e.g. If your software is a shareware spyware removal tool for Windows - it would be better listed under Computers/Security/Internet/Privacy/Products_and_Tools/Spyware_Eliminators/ than in the Windows shareware category.
- Linux security software belongs in (or in a subcat of): Computers/Software/Operating_Systems/Linux/Projects/Security/
- MAC OS specific security tools belong in Computers/Software/Operating_Systems/Mac_OS/Security/
- Windows based security software that is sold as SHAREWARE - This belongs in (or in a subcat of): Computers/Software/Shareware/Windows/Security/
- Windows 2000 specific security software belongs in: Computers/Software/Operating_Systems/Windows/Windows_2000/Security/ if it provides security features that do not fit better into a specific topic category.
Freeware security software that does not fit clearly into another category belongs in Computers/Software/Freeware/Security/
This category is for sites providing an overview of Public Key Infrastructure, what it is, how it works etc.
Please only submit sites providing an overview of Public Key Infrastructure, what it is, how it works etc.
Please note that the quantity of information needs to be substantial, and that information should be objectively presented. (i.e. No sales pitches.)
It is not for companies providing PKI services, these should generally be listed in the ''Tools_and_Services'' subcat.