Translation (noun) - the process of rewriting a text into another language.
Translator (noun) - [1.] a person who translates. [2.] a person who performs any language practice related task (such as proofreading, editing, interpreting, copywriting, terminology, localisation, etc).
Translation (category) - an Open Directory category for web sites of or about professional translators (see "translator") and agencies.
1. This category is for web sites or web pages of or about freelance translators or translation agencies. Language services often performed by translators are also listed here (except where suitable categories exist elsewhere in the Open Directory).
2. A site or page can be listed only once in this category. Do not submit it to multiple subcategories - choose the most relevant and submit it there.
3. If your site offers no translation service, but does offer either proofreading, editing, copywriting, localisation (including globalisation, internationalisation, software translation and web site translation), oral translation (including over-the-phone translation) or interpreting, please submit it to the appropriate subcategory.
4. Note that technical translation services are no longer listed separately. If your site offers specialist translation services (i.e. translation in a particular industry or subject field), make sure they are mentioned in the Description of your listing.
5. If your site offers translation services in only one language combination (i.e. in only two languages), please submit it to the Single Language subcategory.
6. If your site offers translation services in more than one language combination (i.e. in more than two languages), please submit it to the Multiple Language subcategory.
7. Sites in the Multiple Language subcategory are sorted according to the physical location of the translator or agency (i.e. according to domicile such as business address or home address).
8. How to write site titles and descriptions:
8.1 The site title should reflect the title of the web site, or should include the name of the agency or business.
8.2 The site description should briefly describe the nature of the services offered, and the contents of the site. To facilitate searching by visitors, the site description may include mention of the services offered, languages offered, and specialist fields offered, in addition to mention of what content is found on the site.
8.3 The title or description should contain no sales talk.
9. Do not submit more than once. Only resubmit if the currently listed URL has changed, if the currently listed site title has changed, or if the site content has changed to the degree that the current description is no longer accurate. Do not resubmit in an attempt to optimise the site description for search engine purposes.
[ Editors, please read the "more information (editors only)" for a nice submission recipe. ]
For professional translation associations.
This category is for web sites or web pages containing information about training for translators and related professions. It is not for translators offering language training. To put it another way: it is not for translators offering education - it is for education of translators.
Also, note that this category is specifically for professional training (in other words, translation as an industry - not translation as a topic or subject), not for general linguistics training/education.
Sites offering mainly translation services should be submitted in either Multiple_Language or Single_Language (whichever the case may be). Sites offering language teaching or language training should be submitted in the appropriate Regional/ category (such as Regional/Central_America/Costa_Rica/Education/Spanish_Schools ).
This category is for web sites or web pages offering translators employment, as well as for translator directories. Web sites offering translation services should be listed in either Multiple_Language or Single_Language (whichever the case may be).
This category is for web sites or web pages about or of companies or individuals that offer mainly interpreting services. Sites offering both translation and interpreting should be submitted according to the most prominent service.
If the most prominent service is interpreting, then the site should be submitted here. If the most prominent service is translation, then it should be submitted in either Multiple_Language or Single_Language (whichever the case may be).
The Multiple_Language category contains all sites offering translation services (or primarily translation services) in more than one language combination. Sites offering only one language combination are listed in Single_Language.
Site in Multiple_Language are listed according to the locality (domicile) of the translator or agency. If your site is already listed, and you feel that it is listed in the wrong regional category, please use the "Update Listing" link at the top of the page the site is listed in.
Please take note that any site can only be listed *once* in the entire Translation/ category.
All sites must be suggested to the appropriate subcategory, according to your domicile (location)
. Sites suggested in this (the parent) category will be moved to the appropriate subcategory. No sites will be listed in this (the parent) category.
- Sites with a single domicile will be listed in the appropriate subcategory.
- Sites with more than one domicile (for example co-workers in several countries, or offices in several countries) will be listed according to the seemingly most prominent domicile. No site will be listed in multiple subcategories, regardless of the number of countries represented on the site.
- Sites with no clear indication of domicile, will be listed based on mentioned street addresses, e-mail addresses or telephone numbers.
- Sites with absolutely no indication of domicile, will be listed according to the WHOIS records of the domain, if appropriate.
- Where not appropriate (for example when the site is on a free host), an editorial guess will be made based on the language of the site, or the language of keywords (such as the company's name), or any other country indicators.
This category is for web sites or web pages with resources related to professional translation services.
Web sites offering or containing non-professional resources (in other words, non-business related) should be submitted in Science/Social_Sciences/Language_and_Linguistics/Translation .
Web sites offering translation services should be submitted in either Multiple_Language or Single_Language (whichever the case may be).
The Single_Language category contains sites offering translation services (or primarily translation services) in one language combination. Sites offering more than one language combination are listed in Multiple_Language (see also that category's description for submission guidelines).
If your site is already listed elsewhere in the Translation_Services category, and you feel that it should be listed in the Single_Language category, please contact the relevant editors.
Please also take note that any site can only be listed *once* in the entire Translation/ category.