become an editor
the entire directory
only in Cycling/Commuting_and_Advocacy
Commuting and Advocacy
Open Directory - Sports: Cycling: Commuting and Advocacy
Learning to Ride
Safe Routes to School
Society: Issues: Transportation
Society: Issues: Transportation: Activism
Sports: Cycling: Safety
This category in other languages:
- Part of the Sierra Club's eFiles series, this site provides five tips for promoting the bicycle as an alternative means of transport.
Bicycle Commuting - Bike to Work
- A Yahoo! Groups mailing list devoted to the discussion of transportational cycling to and from work. Subscribers are invited to share stories, photos, tips, and experiences.
Bicycle Commuting and Lights
- A collection of articles focusing on the illumination needs of vehicular cyclists. Included are reviews and opinions with respect to various commercial systems. Recommended for any commuter who finds themselves cycling in the dark.
Bicycle Commuting Now
- A Harrisburg, PA, area bicycle commuter's bLog. Day-to-Day antics and views ranging from tool reviews to daily experiences.
Bicycle Commuting Suggestions
- Personal anecdotes and suggestions from a seasoned bicycle commuter, Jennifer Hodgdon. Subjects include clothing and equipment.
- Essays and philosophy designed for the "New Urban Cyclist". Part of the Living Room organization which endeavors to cultivate the concept of sustainable, environmentally conscious communities.
- A useful and relevant resource for those wishing to use their bicycles for touring and commuting. Includes many articles and links that will appeal to novice and expert alike.
- A gathering place for bike commuters from all over the USA sharing experiences and encouraging people to "bike their drive". Weblog-style format with reviews, polls and a gallery.
- An introductory resource for those entertaining the idea of bicycle commuting. Mission statement cites high fuel prices and traffic jams as reasons to consider this mode.
- News, reviews, and articles of interest to those who choose to commute by bicycle. Also home to a database of commuter profiles submitted from around the country.
- Contains articles and information intended to promote awareness of the multiple benefits resulting from the development a more bike centric transportation lifestyle.
- Maps and resources for using your bike for everyday transport. Information regarding transit access included. Primary focus is Pennsylvania, New York, and Maryland.
- A Yahoo! Groups mailing list intended for those who believe that bicyclists have the right, should expect, and be prepared to demand, safe accommodation as vehicle operators on every road. Participants espouse the concept known as Vehicular Cycling.
Commuter Connections Guides
- Electronic handbooks produced by the Metropolitan Washington Council of Governments to promote bicycle transportation in and around Washington D.C. Well crafted and containing useful illustrations, the guide is targeted to employees, but also has useful information for employers.
- A Topica mailing list for the discussion of operational bicycle transportation issues such as equipment, techniques, and methods. Subscription required; archives are available only to subscribers.
Cycle Facility of the Month
- Provides photos and descriptions of poorly-designed bicycle routes, primarily in the United Kingdom, but containing information of use to all vehicular cyclists. Includes a news archive and information on joining.
Cycling Advocacy Works by Fred Oswald
- An interesting and insightful collection of original articles addressing the topic of vehicular cycling. Features include analyses of state laws related to bicycling, tutorials and reform movements.
- Part of the Sierra Club's "Stop Sprawl" series, it is the summary of an article based on a nationwide, aggregate analysis as well as detailed case studies of cycling trends and policies in seven case study cities.
Guide to Bicycle Commuting
- Though published by the Santa Barbara Bicycle Coalition, this resource provides a general overview of tips and techniques that could benefit any bicycle commuter.
Human Transport Organization
- Based in North Carolina, deals with a variety of political and engineering topics related to human powered transport. Most of the content focuses on universal access policies and vehicular cycling issues.
International Bicycle Fund
- Topics addressing bicycles and bicycling as a means of transportation. Includes articles and analysis related to economic development, urban planning, non-motorized transport, the environment, travel, and international understanding.
International Mountain Biking Association
- Dedicated to the promotion of off-road bicycling through education in environmentally sound, socially responsible riding practices and land management policies.
John Forester, M.S., P.E.
- Forester is the father of the vehicular cycling concept. An experienced Planning Engineer, his site brings many years of VC knowledge and expertise to the web in the form of his personal web site. Articles and consultation resources are available.
- The home of the Massachusetts Bicycle Coalition. Though primarily dedicated to improving the conditions for bicyclists in Massachusetts, this site contains useful information for all bicycle advocates. Notable are sections on policy, law, and intermodal transit.
- An online memorial to members of the international bike messenger community. Includes stories, artwork, and poetry.
- Promoting sustainable transport resulting in the improvement of health, the environment, and society. Encourages a modal shift away from cars to walking, cycling and public transport.
- Tattletale site listing vehicles parked in bike lanes. Allows for comment and discussion of each post; registration required.
North American Velomobilist
- A web resource for those interested in the velomobile: self-contained, fully (or semi-) enclosed bicycle-based vehicles. Information includes commercial acquisition sources as well as roll-your-own designs and construction techniques.
Paul Dorn's Bike Commuting Tips
- Well crafted site for information on bike commuting by a San Francisco cyclist and activist. Includes views, reviews, and How-To articles.
Portland Bicycle Advocacy Group
- A Yahoo! Groups mailing list created for the purpose of discussing bicycling issues in the Portland, Oregon, area. Special emphasis is placed on bicycles as a legitimate form of transportation; not just recreational vehicles.
- Formerly ChainGuard.org, an authoritative source for bicycle advocacy on the 'Net. Visitors will find links to many relevant sites and stories pertaining to rights of vehicular cyclists everywhere.
- A nonprofit organization based in the United Kingdom, which sends bicycles to poor countries such as Haiti and South Africa; including training people how to repair and maintain the vehicles.
- Informative site containing many articles on the choice of a bicycle as one's preferred means of transport. Includes a sections on product reviews and Critical Mass as well.
The Vehicular Cyclist
- Provides a 'bLog style survey of recent news related to vehicular cyclist topics. Individual topics of study include helmets, fatality trends and research
Usenet rec.bicycles.soc -
Usenet us.org.bicycle-greenways -
Usenet us.org.bicycle-greenways.nbg -
Commuting and Advocacy
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 1998-2014 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: July 1, 2013 at 9:15:07 UTC -