become an editor
the entire directory
only in Intersexed/Gender_Assignment
Health: Men's Health: Conditions and Diseases: Penis: Microphallus
Society: Transgendered: Transition
Am I a Woman?
- Summary of a 1998 Mademoiselle article about intersex activist Angela Moreno in which she describes the lingering effects of her gender assignment surgery.
Into the Hands of Babes
- Article from Johns Hopkins Magazine about William Reiner and his change of heart with regards to the treatment of intersexed children.
Making the Cut
- Article from Ms. Magazine tracing the history of clitoridectomy from the 1800s when it was used to prevent masturbation to the modern practice of assigning gender to sexually ambiguous children.
- An editorial with references and responses arguing that most vaginal surgery in children should be deferred.
Queer Cut Bodies
- Paper by Morgan Holmes subtitled "Intersexuality & Homophobia in Medical Practice" which examines the surgical and medical management of intersexed children in terms of a relationship of violence in which the intersexed are disenfranchised, suggesting that homophobia is a motivating factor in the management of intersexed bodies.
Surgery for Intersex
- Article from the Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine examining the sex of rearing, the long term outcomes of feminization, and the patient's view. Includes references.
The True Story of John/Joan
- Story of an anonymous baby boy who was turned into a girl by doctors at Johns Hopkins Hospital in 1967 after the boy's penis was burned by an electro-cautery needle during circumcision.
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 1998-2016 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: October 25, 2013 at 6:24:06 UTC -