become an editor
the entire directory
only in Dynasties_and_Empires/Seljuk
Religion and Spirituality
Dynasties and Empires
al-Ghazali, Abu Hamid
Society: History: By Region: Asia
Society: History: By Region: Middle East
Society: History: By Time Period: Middle Ages: War and Weapons: The Crusades: Contemporary Islam
Anatolian Seljuks and their Architecture
- An article tracing the origins of the Seljuks, their conquering of Anatolia, and their mastery of Islamic-Arabic-Iranian culture. Focuses on their architecture.
The Middle Ages: Seljuks
- Brief survey of the impact of the Seljuks, as guardians of the declining Abbasid caliphate, building an empire centered in Baghdad, and helping to prevent the Fatimids of Egypt from making Shiite Islam dominant.
- An account of the rise of the Seljuk dynasty from their capital in Isfahan, their relations with the Abbasid Caliphate and Byzantium, and decline with the arrival of the Mongols.
- A brief account of the Seljuk dynasty, with information on their cultural achievements, and those of the Ghaznavids.
The Turkish Irruption
- Chapter 9 of "A History of Medieval Islam" (JJ Saunders); an account of the Seljuk Turks and their influence on the development of Islam.
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 1998-2014 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: January 2, 2007 at 16:38:39 UTC -