become an editor
the entire directory
only in Religion_and_Spirituality/Deism
Religion and Spirituality
Chats and Forums
Founding Fathers Debate
Arts: Literature: Authors: H: Herbert, Edward
Arts: Literature: World Literature: American: Early: Paine, Thomas
Society: Philosophy: Philosophers: V: Voltaire
Society: Religion and Spirituality: Agnosticism
Society: Religion and Spirituality: Opposing Views: Christianity: Bible
Society: Religion and Spirituality: Unitarianism and Universalism
Abraham Lincoln: Deist and Admirer of Thomas Paine
- Chapter from the book "Religious Beliefs of Our Presidents," by Franklin Steiner (1936). Relates opinions of Lincoln's friends and biographers regarding the nature of his belief.
Alternative Perspectives: Separating God from Religion
- Affirms God as the Creator of the universe and its laws, disaffirms religion as man-made myths and rituals.
Bibliomania: A Refutation of Deism
- Short prose by Percy Bysshe Shelley.
Cambridge History: The Deistical Controversy in English Theology
- Historical survey of the main proponents and their literature.
Catholic Encyclopedia: Deism
- Historical survey and critique.
Deism Advocated in the Bible
- Series of articles finds strains of Deism in some books of the Bible.
Deism and Reason
- Surveys and espouses traditional Deism. E-text resources and Deist quotations.
- Explores the Deism of Hobbes, Locke, Tindal, and the influence of Hume.
- Brief historical survey of the development of Deism in France, as espoused by Voltaire, Diderot, and Rousseau.
The Deist Minimum
- Article by Avery Cardinal Dulles surveys the origins and spread of Deism with an eye towards its inherent weakness to sustain itself.
The Deist's Reply
- 1836 book by Lysander Spooner argues against the miracles of Jesus as found in the Gospels.
Einstein on a Personal God
- Excerpts illustrating belief in a supreme moral code while denying a personal God.
The Human Jesus and Christian Deism
- Topical articles explaining the meaning, history, and tenets of Christian Deism.
Hume and the American Deists on Miracles
- Essay by James Dye discusses David Hume's influence on the Deism of Ethan Allen, Thomas Paine, and Elihu Palmer.
Jewish Encyclopedia: Deism
- Brief survey of English Deists, the influences in philosophy of Moses Mendelssohn, and the Talmud's rejection of the concept.
- James Kiefer discusses Butler's arguments against Deism.
Kant's Theistic Solution
- Essay by Stephen Palmquist proposes that Kant is better classified as a Theist than as a Deist.
Of the Religion of Deism Compared with the Christian Religion
- From the Modern History Sourcebook: A brief comparative analysis by Thomas Paine.
- Promotes Deism and its beliefs with articles, forum, and chat.
Psychology Today: Edward O. Wilson Is on Top of the World
- Wilson calls himself a provisional Deist, affirming the likelihood of a prime mover. Interview by Jill Neimark.
- Definition, history, quotes, and bibliography.
- Historical survey.
Usenet alt.religion.deism -
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 1998-2015 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: October 10, 2014 at 11:14:26 UTC -