become an editor
the entire directory
only in Issues/Social_Gospel
Religion and Spirituality
Open Directory - Society: Religion and Spirituality: Christianity: Issues: Social Gospel
Harnack, Adolf von
King, Martin Luther, Jr.
Wallace, Henry Agard
Woodsworth, James S.
Regional: North America: Canada: Society and Culture: Politics: Parties: New Democratic Party: History
Society: Politics: Socialism
Society: Religion and Spirituality: Christianity: Organizations: Student: Student Christian Movement
Black Social Gospel
- Examines African-American figures in the social gospel movement.
Capitalism in the Gilded Age: The Social Gospel
- Short item on the social gospel movement with profiles of leading figures Washington Gladden and Walter Rauschenbusch.
The Chautauqua Movement
- Historical resources on the Christian education movement.
- Essay on the movement from Spartacus Schoolnet.
The Christian Socialist Movement
- Based in Britain and active in the Labour Party, the CSM is in a tradition that stretches back to the early church. "We all share a belief in justice, peace and the wholeness of creation."
Fundamentalism and the Social Gospel
- Background article from the companion site to PBS' American Experience episode on the Scope's Monkey Trial.
A Fundamentalist Social Gospel
- Article by Robert Price in the Christian Century on attempts to synthesise what, at first, seem to be two contradictory strains in Christianity; fundamentalism and social gospel.
- Hymn favoured by Christian socialists and the social gospel movement in Britain and North America.
Jubilee: The Social Gospel - Revival of Socialism
- Christian view on the concept of the Jewish concept of Jubilee which means the redistribution of wealth, the protection of the earth, and the celebration of community.
Liberalism in Religious Thought - White Social Gospel
- Background information on the social gospel movement in the twentieth century and prominent figures in it.
The Life and Times of the Prophet Vernon Johns: Father of the Civil Rights Movement
- Online book by Dr. Patrick L. Cooney and Henry W. Powell examines the life of the liberal clergeyman and civil rights leader with an extensive look at liberal Christianity and its role in the social justice movements.
lifeissues.net | The Churches and the Social Gospel
- Ronald Rolheiser argues that the churches have been, and still are, at those places with the poor where nobody else wants to be.
NOW with Bill Moyers. Society and Community. History of the Social Gospel | PBS
- Information about the Social Gospel tradition of Christian socialism.
Practical Christian Socialism
- Selections from Practical Christianity, An Epitome of Practical Christian Socialism by Adin Ballou, edited by Lynn Gordon Hughes.
The Prophetic Imperative: Social Gospel in Theory and Practice
- Discussion guide to the book by Richard S. Gilbert. [PDF]
The Ram's Horn
- Presenting texts and especially cartoons from The Ram's Horn, an interdenominational social gospel magazine of the 1890s in the United States.
The Reverend Henry Wallace
- Paper by economics professor Richard E. Hattwick on the social gospel minister and agricultural reformer who was the grandfather of Vice President Henry A. Wallace. [PDF]
Social and Religious Context of the Social Gospel
- The excesses of the Victorian age gave foundation to a number of important political and religious trends that which converged to give rise to the Social Gospel.
- The Social Gospel is an attempt to apply Christianity to the collective ills of an industrializing society, and was a major force in Canadian religious, social and political life from the 1890s through the 1930s.
- Short discussion of the conflict between social gospel and evangelical Christianity.
- Article from the Glossary of Religion and Philosophy.
Social Gospel Theology
- An explanation of the theological position of the social gospel movement.
What Was Chautauqua
- Historical essay on the Christian educational movement named after the resort in New York state.
World Missions and the Social Gospel
- Anglican timeline.
Christian Socialism is Possible
- Irving Hexham responds to John Redekopp in this Christian Week article. (December 17, 1996)
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 2013 Netscape
Visit our sister sites
Last update: Tuesday, September 24, 2013 7:24:04 AM EDT -