become an editor
the entire directory
only in Benedictines/Trappists
Religion and Spirituality
Open Directory - Society: Religion and Spirituality: Christianity: Denominations: Catholicism: Orders: Men's Orders: Benedictines: Trappists
Catholic Encyclopedia: Trappists
- A history of the Order of Cistercians of the Strict Observance with a somewhat outdated account of the Order's organization and practices (published 1912).
Cistercian Studies Quarterly
- An international review of monastic spirituality and history published under the auspices of the Cistercian Order of the Strict Observance (OCSO) since 1966.
Order of Cistercians of the Strict Observance
- Home page of the Order in several languages. News, FAQ, information about monasteries and Web sites, documents/texts, OCSO events, commentaries on Cistercian Saints, Blesseds and Martyrs.
- A black-and-white photographic essay of a day in the lives of the monks of the Monastery of Our Lady of Calvary in Rogersville, NB, Canada, by Noel Chenier.
The Questing Beast
- Personal account of a young man's experiences with the Trappists in New Mexico in 1949-51.
Trappists (Reformed Cistercians)
- This entry from the New Schaff-Herzog Encyclopedia of Religious Knowledge, Vol XI, discusses the history of the Order of Cistercians of the Strict Observance up to the end of the 19th century.
- A Trappist Abbey in Belgium. Historical information and location available.
Making Ends Meet
- Smithsonian Magazine profile of New Melleray Abbey and one of their industries, Trappist Caskets, by Sam Hooper Samuels. (October 01, 2002)
Martyrs in Algeria
- George Weigel's reflection on the murder of Trappist monks in Algeria, inspired by John Kiser's book, "The Monks of Tibhirine: Faith, Love, and Terror in Algeria." (May 15, 2002)
The Monks of Tibhirine - Book Review in America
- This review by M. Basil Pennington, ocso, argues that Kiser's book "is an especially valuable book to read in this present moment in history for the profoundly insightful and compassionate way in which the author puts this martyrdom in context." (April 08, 2002)
A Labor of Loaves
- Profile of the monks of Assumption Abbey in Ava, Missouri by Vicki Cox that focuses on their fruitcake industry. (November 19, 2000)
Price Paid to Be Secluded
- Article by John Schmitz about Our Lady of Guadalupe Abbey focusing on its four diverse industries: an 850-acre tree farm, a bindery, a wine-storage facility and a small bakery known for its fruit cakes and nut cakes. (October 11, 1999)
- Profile of Mepkin Abbey in Monck's Corner, South Carolina by Liz Ferszt. (December 15, 1995)
- Time magazine account of the founding of Our Lady of the Holy Spirit Monastery in Conyers, GA. (April 03, 1944)
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 1998-2014 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: December 10, 2013 at 19:35:04 UTC -