become an editor
the entire directory
only in Translations/Methodology
Religion and Spirituality
Open Directory - Society: Religion and Spirituality: Christianity: Bible: Translations: Methodology
Bible Translation Guide
- A continuum of translations on a word-for-word vs. thought-for-thought scale and a brief analysis of the positives and negatives of 20 different versions.
Bible Translation: Why, What and How?
- This paper discusses reasons for different translations, a classification of modern versions, the method of translation employed in different versions and a chart showing the theological orientation of the translators.
Bible Translations Differences
- An online book critical of dynamic equivalence translation and supporting literal translation. [PDF]
Bible Versions and Types - Literal, Free, and Dynamic
- Compares different Bible translations (literal, free and dynamic, with examples) and Bible types (students, reference, chronological, etc.)
Comparing Translations: Textual Criticism and Interpretation
- Discusses textual criticism (lower criticism) and principles of interpretation which affect translations of the Bible.
Dogs, Urine, and Bible Translations
- This short article shows a continuum of translation methods (formal, dynamic and paraphrase) showing where the major versions lie on that continuum. The article also has a few illustrative examples.
Dynamic and Formal Equivalence
- A short Wikipedia article on the definition of these terms and a few examples.
English Translations of the Bible
- This site includes short definitions of formal correspondence translations, dynamically equivalent translations and paraphrases.
Persistent Problems Confronting Bible Translators
- Bruce Metzger discusses a number of problems, such as variant readings, word meanings, text punctuation, transliteration and stylistic problems
Theories of the Translation Process
- Article on Bible translation by Bruce Metzger.
- Compares formal and dynamic equivalence and discusses some semantic theory.
Translation Theory and Methods
- A collection of links to articles on the theories and methods of Bible translation.
We Really Do Need Another Bible Translation
- An article on difficulties with dynamic or functional equivalent translations, ending with a plea for a more direct interpretation.
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 1998-2014 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: January 19, 2014 at 8:35:08 UTC -