become an editor
the entire directory
only in Teachings/Sutras
Religion and Spirituality
Open Directory - Society: Religion and Spirituality: Buddhism: Teachings: Sutras
Pure Land and Shin Sutras
- The Fire Sermon.
- To Ananda (on Mindfulness of Breathing).
- Sutra on mindfulness of breathing.
- The Sermon on the Not-Self Characteristic.
Bhikkuni Samyutta Suttas
- 10 suttas about Mara, the personification of doubt and evil, trying in vain to lure the bhikkhunis (nuns) away from their meditation spots in the forest by asking them provocative questions.
- The discourse to Bhumija.
Bodhisattva Kishitigarbha Vow Sutra
- Transalation presented in the form of a seemingly mythic dialogue between the Buddha and Kishitigarbha. Includes historical introduction, the text and a glossary.
Buddha's First Sermon
- A reconstruction of Buddha's first sermon. Composed at least several centuries after Siddhartha Gautama's death, contains the essence of what the Buddha taught his earliest disciples.
Buddha's Sermons and Teachings
- A version of Buddha's first sermon and a discussion of the nature of Nirvana.
- Buddhist text on how Action differentiates beings in terms of baseness and excellence.
- The Shorter Instructions to Malunkya regarding the cosmos.
- The Lesser Discourse on Emptiness.
- The Shorter Set of Questions-and-Answers.
- On Voidness (sunyata) - the quintessence of Buddhism.
Cunda Kammaraputta Sutta
- Buddha's teaching about ways in which one is made impure by verbal or mental actions.
- Setting Rolling the Wheel of Truth.
- Full English translations of the Dhammapada.
- A collection of verses; being one of the canonical books of the Buddhists.
- The Story of Prince Dighavu. Translated from the Pali by Thanissaro Bhikkhu.
- A sutra from the Sutta Nipata, discussing definition of friendship.
Householder Sutta Page
- Provides links of various Suttas on the internet.
- The sutra on right view.
- Sutra on Mindfulness immersing in the body.
- Excerpts from the Lankavatara Sutra.
Lotus of the True Dharma
- A sacred text of Mahayana Buddhism on the subject of the true nature of the Buddha.
- "The Great Forty" - a discourse on Right View.
- The Great Causes Discourse.
- Sutra on the Last Days of the Buddha. This sutra gives a good summary of the Buddha's Teachings.
- The Great Frames of Reference Sutra.
Quotes from the Masters
- A collection of quotes from various sutras. Indexed by author.
Rathakara Sutta (Pacetana Sutta) - The Chariot Maker
- Buddha's parable about the straightness of wheels as corresponding to the straightness of practice.
Readings in Theravada Buddhism
- Over 700 translated discourses by the Buddha.
- Sutra on All the Fermentations (thoughts that arise in mind).
- The Discourse on Effacement.
- The Fruits of the Contemplative Life Sutra. This discourse is one of the masterpieces of the Pali Canon.
- The Discourse on Right View
- The third division of the Sutta Pitaka, contains 2,889 suttas grouped into five sections (vaggas).
- Text, commentaries and articles on content of the sutra and its historical background.
- The Discourse to Sigala -- The Layperson's Code of Discipline.
- To General Siha (On Generosity). Anguttara Nikaya V.34.
- The discourse to Sunakkhatta on craving.
The Anattalakkhana Sutta
- A document from the Pali canon of Buddhist scriptures in which Buddha speaks on not-self characteristic.
The Gospel of Buddha
- A 19th century compilation from a variety of Buddhist texts by Paul Carus. It is modelled on the New Testament. It was very widely read, and was even recommended by Ceylonese Buddhist leaders as a teaching tool for Buddhist children.
The Lotus Sutra
- Translated By H. Kern (1884).
The Sutra of the Lotus Flower of the Wonderful Law
- This is the complete text in English as translated by H. Kern in 1884.
- Subjects for Contemplation.
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 2013 Netscape
Visit our sister sites
Last update: Thursday, December 24, 2009 7:05:09 AM EST -