become an editor
the entire directory
only in United_States/California
Religion and Spirituality
Society: Religion and Spirituality: Buddhism: Centers and Groups by Region: United States: California
Bellflower: Sangha of the Compassionate Heart
- Soto Zen center offering daily Zen sittings.
Berkeley Zen Center
- Soto lineage. Offers an extensive practice schedule.
Berkeley: Empty Gate Zen Center
- Founded in 1977, member of Kwan Um School.
Burlingame: Crystal Springs Sangha
- Offers weekly group meditation and regular retreats.
Central California Valley Zen Sangha
- Comprises three Zen meditation groups: Fresno River Zen in Fresno, Valley Heartland Zen Group in Modesto, and Empty Nest Zen Group in North Fork. In the Soto-style Bay Area Zen Centers tradition.
Costa Mesa: Zen Center of Orange County
- Offers daily zazen practice and periodic retreats.
Cupertino: Bamboo In The Wind
- Affiliated with the Udumbara Zen Center. Soto practice.
El Monte: Mahayana Zengong
- Offers traditional Ch'an and Chi-Kung practices resulting in a complete Buddhist teaching of mind-body unification, as transmitted by Master Miao-Kung.
Hacienda Heights: Hsi Lai Temple
- Practices Humanistic Buddhism, an integration of Ch'an Buddhism (self-power) and Pure Land Buddhism (other-power).
Lafayette: Buddha Gate Monastery
- A Zen monastery in SF Bay area, in the traditional Chinese Ch'an lineage. Offers Zen meditation and Buddhism classes and lectures, and meditation retreats in both English and Chinese.
Los Angeles: Hazy Moon Zen Center (Koun-ji Temple)
- Soto temple in the lineage of Maezumi Roshi. Offers regular weekly programs and periodic meditation intensives.
Los Angeles: Zen Center of Los Angeles (Buddha Essence Temple )
- Founded by Maezumi Roshi in 1967. First center in the US of the Harada-Yasatani School. Offers complete Zen practice schedule.
Los Angeles: Detroit St Zen Center
- Offers daily zazen and regular sesshins.
Los Angeles: Kusala.org
- A web site focused on the work of Rev. Kusala, an American born Zen Buddhist monk living in Los Angeles, California and home to the Los Angeles Buddhist - Catholic Dialogue.
Los Angeles: The International Buddhist Meditation Center
- Founded in 1970 by Vietnamese Zen Master Thich Thien-An. The Center offers classes, meditation, and a residency program.
Los Angeles: Zenshuji Soto Zen Mission
- The first Soto Zen Temple established in North America, in 1922. North American Headquarters of Sotoshu and a direct branch of Eiheiji and Sojiji, the two head temples in Japan. Offers zazen meditation, Buddist studies, tea ceremony, taiko drumming, clligraphy, Japanese dance,and ikibana. Kid's School and other community events.
Los Gatos: Jikoji Zen Retreat Center
- Soto Zen temple and retreat center located one hour south of San Francisco, California in the Santa Cruz Mountains. Offer workshops and provides facilities for individual and group retreats.
Mountain Center: Zen Mountain Center
- A year-round Zen training center for resident and non-resident students. Affiliated with the Zen Center of Los Angeles and the Harada-Yasutani lineage.
Mt. Baldy Zen Center
- Mt. Baldy Zen Center is the main training facility of Rinzai-ji Inc. which was founded by Joshu Sasaki Roshi. It offers formal practice during the two training periods and less formal practice during the spring and fall.
Muir Beach: Goat-in-the-Road
- Offers practice in the Soto Zen Buddhist tradition.
National City: Sweetwater Zen Center
- A residential Soto Zen center in San Diego county. Practices in the lineage of Bernie Tetsugen Glassman Roshi and Taizan Maezumi Roshi.
North Fork: Empty Nest Zen Sangha
- Offers Sunday services and dharma talks, and periodic sesshins in the Soto tradition.
Northridge : Beginner's Mind Zen Center
- Offers weekly Soto Zen practice. Affiliated with the San Francisco Zen Center.
Oakland: Bay Zen Center
- The Bay Zen Center originated in 1985 as a group of students studying with Charlotte Joko Beck, teacher at the Zen Center of San Diego. After receiving Dharma Transmission from Joko in 1994, Diane Eshin Rizzetto became the teacher and abbot of the Bay Zen Center. BZC, which is a member of the Ordinary Mind Zen School, is open to people of all traditions as well as beginners and experienced students.
Ojai: Pine Mountain Buddhist Temple
- A meditation retreat center affiliated with the Order of Buddhist Contemplatives, a monastic and lay order in the Soto Zen tradition.
Riverside Ch'an Meditation Group
- Affiliate of the Ch'an Meditation Center and Dharma Drum Mountain Buddhist Association.
San Diego: Hidden Valley Zen Center
- Offers daily zazen practice. Uses Rinzai forms. Loosely affiliated with the Rochester Zen Center.
San Diego: Three Treasures Zen Community
- Offers regular services, zazenkais, and sesshins. Operates in two location, Rancho Penasquitos and Vista. Member of the White Plum Asaga, Harada Yasutani lineage.
San Francisco Zen Center
- With information City Center, Tassajara, and Green Gulch Zen Centers. Founded by Shunryu Suzuki Roshi (Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind).
San Rafael: Dharma Eye Zen Center and The Old Fig Zendo
- Zen Meditation Community with senior dharma teacher Myogen Steve Stucky, offering zazen, dharma talks, classes, and retreats.
San Rafael: Mountain Source Sangha
- Soto Zen group under the direction of Taigen Dan Leighton, dharma heir in the lineage of Suzuki Roshi.
Santa Monica Zen Center
- Weekly zazen, dharma talks and Bukido. Provides information about their programs.
Santa Rosa: Sonoma Mountain Zen Center, Genjo-ji
- Offers daily zazen practice in the Soto Zen lineage of Shunryu Suzuki-roshi.
Santa Rosa: Pacific Zen Institute
- Formerly known as the California Diamond Sangha. Offers complete Zen practice in the Harada-Yasutani lineage.
Sausalito: Green Gulch Farm Zen Center (Green Dragon Temple), (Soryu-ji)
- Part of the San Francisco Zen Center, Soto lineage. Offers a residency program and an extensive schedule of retreats.
Vallejo: Clear Water Zendo
- A Soto Zen Buddhist Temple in the tradition of Shunryu Suzuki Roshi and the San Francisco and Berkeley Zen Centers. The center offers regular meditation, meditation instruction, a discussion group, classes, one-day sittings, work practice, lectures and special workshops.
Warner Springs: Ordinary Dharma
- Sitting group in the Thich Nhat Hanh lineage.
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 1998-2014 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: July 25, 2014 at 18:45:08 UTC -