become an editor
the entire directory
only in African/Traditional
Religion and Spirituality
Open Directory - Society: Religion and Spirituality: African: Traditional
Regional: Africa: Society and Culture: Religion
Ancestors as Elders in Africa by Igor Kopytoff
- Ancestor cults loom large in the anthropological image of Africa, but only certain dead with particular structural positions are worshipped as ancestors; this paper presents a study of ancestor and elder veneration among the matrilineal Suku of south-western Congo (Kinshasa).
Man and the Gods in Yoruba Art
- An exhibit of Yoruba religious art, with brief explanations of the iconography of the deities depicted.
The African Experience of God through the Eyes of an Akan Woman
- By Mercy Amba, an article in Cross Currents, the journal of the Association for Religion and Intellectual Life.
Voodoo in Benin, 1996
- In 1996 the government of Benin declared that Voodoo and other ATRs (practiced by about half of the population) are officially recognized religions on a par with Islam and Christianity, and gave ATR its own national holiday, January 10.
West African Dahomean Vodoun
- Large site created by an African-American Priestess, to initiate others across the diaspora. Site features both Dahomean Vodoun and Mami Wata traditions of West Africa, with articles on these and other ATRs in Benin, Togo, and Ghana; bibliography; links to related pages.
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 2013 Netscape
Visit our sister sites
Last update: Sunday, April 12, 2009 8:38:53 PM EDT -