become an editor
the entire directory
only in Philosophy_of_Mind/Consciousness_Studies
Philosophy of Mind
Open Directory - Society: Philosophy: Philosophy of Mind: Consciousness Studies
Sensation and Perception
Science: Biology: Neurobiology
Science: Social Sciences: Cognitive Science
Science: Social Sciences: Psychology: Biological
Science: Social Sciences: Psychology: Cognitive
Science: Social Sciences: Psychology: Neuropsychology
Society: Philosophy: Continental Philosophy: Phenomenology
Society: Philosophy: Philosophy of Mind
Journal of Consciousness Studies
- An interdisciplinary journal of consciousness studies publishing work in the sciences and humanities.
Adventure of Consciousness
- A spiritual view of Consciousness - its planes, gradations, parts, evolution and change of consciousness as explained by The Mother and Sri Aurobindo.
Association for the Scientific Study of Consciousness
- The ASSC promotes research within cognitive science, neuroscience, philosophy, and other relevant disciplines in the sciences and humanities, directed toward understanding the nature, function, and underlying mechanisms of consciousness.
Auditory Binding Experiment
- Explores a phenomenon of mind-brain interaction which happens during the transition of awakening from sleep into awareness.
- Studies of consciousness, intelligence and autism. From neuroscientist Rodney Cotterill.
- Community site devoted to accelerating the development of neuroscience through web-based initiatives offers a collection of philosophical essays over consciousness and a forum.
Catholic Encyclopedia: Consciousness
- Entry from the 1913 edition of the Catholic Encyclopedia.
Center for Consciousness Studies
- The academic institution of the University of Arizona that facilitates interdisciplinary research on consciousness and hosts the Towards a Science of Consciousness conference.
Center for the Explanation of Consciousness, Stanford University
- The CEC is a research initiative at CSLI which is devoted to studying explanations of consciousness. The center hosts talks and symposia from a variety of viewpoints exploring the nature of conscious experience.
Center of Scientific Divulgation about Consciousness (CSDC)
- Analyses the inconsistencies of the materialistic view of man and mind on the basis of the present scientific knowledge about brain and matter.
Charles T. Tart Home Page and Consciousness Library Online
- Dr. Tart has been well known for many years as a leading researcher on consciousness, particularly altered states, as well as on parapsychology and transpersonal psychology.
Christof Koch's Real Home Page
- A leading researcher into the neuroscience of consciousness. Includes personal information and links to online versions of some of his technical and less technical publications.
- Exploring Mental Landscapes—musings at the intersection of cognitive science and philosophy.
ConsScale: A Machine Consciousness Scale
- A framework for characterizing the cognitive development of entities.
- Concise illustrated descriptions and discussions of leading philosophical theories of consciousness, and well known thought experiments, and the issues they raise.
Conscious Experience, Existence and Behaviour
- Essay by A. Randrup subtitled "Significance of Consciousness in Human Life".
- Entry commissioned for the Routledge Encyclopedia of Philosophy. By Eric Lormand of the University of Michigan.
Consciousness & The Brain
- An extensive annotated bibliography of publications on consciousness, by philosophers, neuroscientists, and psychologists.
Consciousness Research Laboratory
- Describes the scientific study of the role of Consciousness in the physical world.
Consciousness Studies - Wikibooks
- A free online textbook on the philosophy and neuroscience of consciousness.
Consciousness and Cognition
- A scientific journal publishing empirical research on consciousness.
Consciousness and Microtubules
- A critical discussion of philosophy and science,and the scientized philosophy of consciousness, with special reference to materialism and David Papineau.
Consciousness and Neuroscience
- Paper by Nobel laureate Francis Crick and neuroscientist Cristof Koch.
Consciousness and Personality
- Insight into the science of consciousness from many perspectives: physics, science, mind-body medicine, psychology, spirituality and religion, and near-death experiences.
Consciousness as an Active Force
- Amy Lansky, a researcher in artificial intelligence, argues against a purely neurophysiological explanation of consciousness.
Consciousness, Brain and the Physical World
- Seminal 1990 article by Max Velmans.
Consciousness, Literature and the Arts
- The refereed journal provides a forum for new work relating the arts and literature to the exploration of consciousness currently flourishing in many disciplines such as philosophy, cognitive science, psychology, neuroscience, computer science, and physics.
Consciousness: The Detector Approach
- Understanding the Hard Problem - How Consciousness can fit into our Natural Orders. By Jan Holmgren.
Development of Western Consciousness
- Some ideas about how consciousness has changed since pre-history up until the present day, and how it will continue to change.
Does Consciousness Exist in Animals?
- Short comment on a paper by Bob Bermond "The Myth of Animal Suffering" by Titus Rivas M.A. Stresses behavioral rather than neuro-anatomical indicators of consciousness in non-human animals.
Doorways in Consciousness
- Cultures around the globe embrace sound in healing, creation, and exploring consciousness. This essay connects creativity with healing, thus recreating health in the body.
- Short online book by Johannes Dressler.
Dynamic Consciousness and the Reality of Free Will
- Concepts of existence, consciousness and awareness as well as a solution to the problem of free will.
EmergentMind, Mapping the Frontiers of Consciousness
- Key papers, discussions and research leads focusing on holographic models of mind and mind-body interactions.
Explorations in Mind, Being and Reality
- Being, mind, consciousness... this is the main focus of this multi-faceted site. The site houses essays in which approach is analytical, imaginative and experiential.
- Home page of an organization which supports research into the global nature of Consciousness.
Geraint Rees Home Page
- The neuroscience of consciousness. Many published articles by Dr. Rees are made available here.
Honderich on Consciousness as Existence
- First of the philosopher Ted Honderich's papers on the idea that perceptual consciousness is a kind of existence of things or a world.
INACS Institute for Neuroscience And Consciousness Studies
- Organization researching such areas as mind/brain/machine interface, anomalous consciousness, and lucid dreaming.
Intuition - Its Powers and Perils
- An introduction to the powers and perils of intuition, plus related essays and links to leading researchers.
JCS-Online -- Digest of the Key Debates
- Home page of moderated email forum devoted to discussion of articles in the Journal of Consciousness Studies. With a digest of some of the most interesting past debates.
Journal of Mind and Behavior
- An established psychology print journal that frequently publishes articles on consciousness.
Julian Jaynes Society
- Society for the discussion of Jaynes' bicameral mind theory of consciousness. Includes bibliography (with some abstracts and full-text articles), members-only area, and online application form.
Knowledge, Possibility, and Consciousness
- Brie Gertler reviews this book by John Perry. From Notre Dame Philosophical Reviews.
Making Robots Conscious of their Mental States
- Article by Artificial Intelligence pioneer John McCarthy (dated 19-Jul-1999).
Max Velmans on Consciousness
- Gives access to publications by this well known (non-dualist and non-reductionist) consciousness researcher and psychologist. Many of his papers are available online here, plus abstracts of others and blurbs of his 3 books on the subject with links to reviews.
Metaphors of the Mind
- Dr. Sam Vaknin considers the appropriateness of metaphors, particularly the computer metaphor, used to describe the brain.
Metaphysics by Default
- Combines concepts from philosophy and science to describe a hypothetical framework for considering transmigration of consciousness.
Metasubjective Cognition Beyond the Brain
- Essay by Titus Rivas subtitled "Subjective awareness and the location of concepts of consciousness".
Mind, Consciousness, and Language
- The relationships between mind, consciousness, and language. Webmaster Giorgio Marchetti aims to provide users the opportunity to present their researches in these fields, and to inform about activities and researches carried out worldwide.
Mystery of the Soul
- Presents a practical approach to the mystery of consciousness.
New York University Research Seminar on Consciousness.
- Prepared for a seminar conducted by Ned Block and Thomas Nagel, this page provides links to papers by a distinguished roster of contemporary philosophers.
On Minds' Localization .
- Essya suggestin that observers are put in operative connection or disconnection with the surrounding occurrences by the physiologically modulated motion of unidentified microphysical particles.
On the Possibility of Laws That Govern the Nature of Consciousness
- Perceptual information and consciousness studies.
Presence - The book
- Offering excerpts from a book that tries to define existence through experimental exploration of the functioning of consciousness.
Quantum Resonance Theory
- A grand unified theory of consciousness, based on mysticism (primarily Kabbalah) and quantum theory.
Science of Consciousness
- A theory of the conscious mind, by Norman Stubbs.
Some Concepts of Consciousness
- Consciousness as a mongrel concept by Ned Block.
Studies on Consciousness
- Study of consciousness, mind and cognition. Contains regular reviews, essays and a bibliography on the subject.
The Cerebral Code
- Thinking a thought in the mosaics of the mind.
The Light Millennium
- Articles on the relationship of light to the phenomenon of consciousness.
The Mind of Consciousness
- An experiential textbook exposing the interconnectivity and functioning of consciousness and mind. The book unfolds a new way to evaluate your existence, written in everyday language, allowing easily assimilation of its direction.
The Neurohacker Quarterly
- An open-access magazine in the vein of 2600 publishing methodology and experimentation in neurohacking. Topics include wetware hacking, psychoactive research chemicals, and basic neuroscience and medicine.
The Penrose-Hameroff Model of Consciousness
- Information and scholarly publications on theories concerning neuronal microtubules as the microsites of consciousness through quantum effects.
The Question of Animal Awareness
- Paper about animal consciousness, by Esteban Rivas and Titus Rivas, in science and the human-animal Relationship, 1993.
The Unified Theory of the Nervous System and Behavior
- New theory that takes the mathematical concept of nerve cell interactions as being a form of mathematics that links neural activity to psychology.
Unified Reality Theory
- Steven Kaufman attempts to demonstrate that the source of reality is a universal consciousness, that we are in no way separable from that source, and so in no way truly separable from each other or any other aspect of reality.
University of Philosophical Research
- Based in Los Angeles, and offering a master's degree in consciousness studies with "a curriculum that integrates the Ancient Wisdom traditions with the latest findings in Science and Psychology".
View from the Stranger's Gallery
- An oratorio attempting to render in music the internal and external influences that inform one's experience of consciousness, and which traces the current debate in cognitive science in a post-dualist world.
Virtual Reality: Consciousness Really Explained
- A radical scientific and evolutionary hypothesis about the origin of mind. By Jerome Iglowitz.
- Center for studies of the traditional Amazonian hallucinogen ayahuasca, and its effects on consciousness. Includes information about the center, its seminars and presenters, and "ethenogenic" drugs in general. Located in Florianópolis, Brazil.
What Can the Paranormal Teach Us About Consciousness?
- Susan Blackmore argues that the study of the paranormal (even if it exists, which she doubts) is not very relevant to consciousness research. Many or even most alleged paranormal phenomena seem to work unconsciously.
Why the efficacy of consciousness cannot be limited to the mind
- Titus Rivas' essay argues that consciousness must ultimately have an impact on the physical world.
- A moderated, interdisciplinary forum for academic consciousness researchers, including philosophers, psychologists, and neuroscientists.
Usenet alt.consciousness -
Usenet sci.psychology.consciousness -
" search on:
Copyright © 2013 Netscape
Visit our sister sites
Last update: Monday, February 18, 2013 2:38:01 AM EST -