become an editor
the entire directory
only in Philosophy_of_Mind/Consciousness_Studies
Philosophy of Mind
Sensation and Perception
Science: Biology: Neurobiology
Science: Social Sciences: Cognitive Science
Science: Social Sciences: Psychology: Biological
Science: Social Sciences: Psychology: Cognitive
Science: Social Sciences: Psychology: Neuropsychology
Society: Philosophy: Continental Philosophy: Phenomenology
Society: Philosophy: Philosophy of Mind
Journal of Consciousness Studies
- An interdisciplinary journal of consciousness studies publishing work in the sciences and humanities.
Adventure of Consciousness
- A spiritual view of Consciousness - its planes, gradations, parts, evolution and change of consciousness as explained by The Mother and Sri Aurobindo.
Association for the Scientific Study of Consciousness
- The ASSC promotes research within cognitive science, neuroscience, philosophy, and other relevant disciplines in the sciences and humanities, directed toward understanding the nature, function, and underlying mechanisms of consciousness.
Auditory Binding Experiment
- Explores a phenomenon of mind-brain interaction which happens during the transition of awakening from sleep into awareness.
- Community site devoted to accelerating the development of neuroscience through web-based initiatives offers a collection of philosophical essays over consciousness and a forum.
Catholic Encyclopedia: Consciousness
- Entry from the 1913 edition of the Catholic Encyclopedia.
Center for Consciousness Studies
- The academic institution of the University of Arizona that facilitates interdisciplinary research on consciousness and hosts the Towards a Science of Consciousness conference.
Center for the Explanation of Consciousness, Stanford University
- The CEC is a research initiative at CSLI which is devoted to studying explanations of consciousness. The center hosts talks and symposia from a variety of viewpoints exploring the nature of conscious experience.
Center of Scientific Divulgation about Consciousness (CSDC)
- Analyses the inconsistencies of the materialistic view of man and mind on the basis of the present scientific knowledge about brain and matter.
The Cerebral Code
- Thinking a thought in the mosaics of the mind.
Charles T. Tart Home Page and Consciousness Library Online
- Dr. Tart has been well known for many years as a leading researcher on consciousness, particularly altered states, as well as on parapsychology and transpersonal psychology.
- Exploring Mental Landscapes—musings at the intersection of cognitive science and philosophy.
- Concise illustrated descriptions and discussions of leading philosophical theories of consciousness, and well known thought experiments, and the issues they raise.
Conscious Experience, Existence and Behaviour
- Essay by A. Randrup subtitled "Significance of Consciousness in Human Life".
- Entry commissioned for the Routledge Encyclopedia of Philosophy. By Eric Lormand of the University of Michigan.
Consciousness & The Brain
- An extensive annotated bibliography of publications on consciousness, by philosophers, neuroscientists, and psychologists.
Consciousness and Cognition
- A scientific journal publishing empirical research on consciousness.
Consciousness and Microtubules
- A critical discussion of philosophy and science,and the scientized philosophy of consciousness, with special reference to materialism and David Papineau.
Consciousness as an Active Force
- Amy Lansky, a researcher in artificial intelligence, argues against a purely neurophysiological explanation of consciousness.
Consciousness Studies - Wikibooks
- A free online textbook on the philosophy and neuroscience of consciousness.
Consciousness, Brain and the Physical World
- Seminal 1990 article by Max Velmans.
Consciousness: The Detector Approach
- Understanding the Hard Problem - How Consciousness can fit into our Natural Orders. By Jan Holmgren.
A Discussion about the Mind and Consciousness
- This article reviews various information related to the concepts of consciousness, emotion and reason.
Doorways in Consciousness
- Cultures around the globe embrace sound in healing, creation, and exploring consciousness. This essay connects creativity with healing, thus recreating health in the body.
Dynamic Consciousness and the Reality of Free Will
- Concepts of existence, consciousness and awareness as well as a solution to the problem of free will.
- A moderated, interdisciplinary forum for academic consciousness researchers, including philosophers, psychologists, and neuroscientists.
EmergentMind, Mapping the Frontiers of Consciousness
- Key papers, discussions and research leads focusing on holographic models of mind and mind-body interactions.
Explorations in Mind, Being and Reality
- Being, mind, consciousness... this is the main focus of this multi-faceted site. The site houses essays in which approach is analytical, imaginative and experiential.
Geraint Rees Home Page
- The neuroscience of consciousness. Many published articles by Dr. Rees are made available here.
Global Consciousness Project
- Presents scientifically rigorous experiments on consciousness coordinated by Roger Nelson's team at Princeton.
Honderich on Consciousness as Existence
- First of the philosopher Ted Honderich's papers on the idea that perceptual consciousness is a kind of existence of things or a world.
The Human Consciousness Project
- The Human Consciousness Project is an international consortium of multidisciplinary scientists and physicians who have joined forces to research the nature of consciousness and its relationship with the brain.
INACS Institute for Neuroscience And Consciousness Studies
- Organization researching such areas as mind/brain/machine interface, anomalous consciousness, and lucid dreaming.
Intuition - Its Powers and Perils
- An introduction to the powers and perils of intuition, plus related essays and links to leading researchers.
Journal of Mind and Behavior
- An established psychology print journal that frequently publishes articles on consciousness.
Julian Jaynes Society
- Society for the discussion of Jaynes' bicameral mind theory of consciousness. Includes bibliography (with some abstracts and full-text articles), members-only area, and online application form.
Knowledge, Possibility, and Consciousness
- Brie Gertler reviews this book by John Perry. From Notre Dame Philosophical Reviews.
The Light Millennium
- Articles on the relationship of light to the phenomenon of consciousness.
Making Robots Conscious of their Mental States
- Article by Artificial Intelligence pioneer John McCarthy (dated 19-Jul-1999).
Max Velmans on Consciousness
- Gives access to publications by this well known (non-dualist and non-reductionist) consciousness researcher and psychologist. Many of his papers are available online here, plus abstracts of others and blurbs of his 3 books on the subject with links to reviews.
Memories Dreams Reflections
- An exploration in consciousness
Metaphors of the Mind
- Dr. Sam Vaknin considers the appropriateness of metaphors, particularly the computer metaphor, used to describe the brain.
Metaphysics by Default
- Combines concepts from philosophy and science to describe a hypothetical framework for considering transmigration of consciousness.
Metasubjective Cognition Beyond the Brain
- Essay by Titus Rivas subtitled "Subjective awareness and the location of concepts of consciousness".
The Mind of Consciousness
- An experiential textbook exposing the interconnectivity and functioning of consciousness and mind. The book unfolds a new way to evaluate your existence, written in everyday language, allowing easily assimilation of its direction.
Mind, Consciousness, and Language
- The relationships between mind, consciousness, and language. Webmaster Giorgio Marchetti aims to provide users the opportunity to present their researches in these fields, and to inform about activities and researches carried out worldwide.
Mystery of the Soul
- Presents a practical approach to the mystery of consciousness.
The Neurohacker Quarterly
- An open-access magazine in the vein of 2600 publishing methodology and experimentation in neurohacking. Topics include wetware hacking, psychoactive research chemicals, and basic neuroscience and medicine.
New York University Research Seminar on Consciousness.
- Prepared for a seminar conducted by Ned Block and Thomas Nagel, this page provides links to papers by a distinguished roster of contemporary philosophers.
On Minds' Localization
- Essay suggesting that observers are put in operative connection or disconnection with the surrounding occurrences by the physiologically modulated motion of unidentified microphysical particles.
On the Possibility of Laws That Govern the Nature of Consciousness
- Perceptual information and consciousness studies.
Presence - The book
- Offering excerpts from a book that tries to define existence through experimental exploration of the functioning of consciousness.
Quantum Resonance Theory
- A grand unified theory of consciousness, based on mysticism (primarily Kabbalah) and quantum theory.
Science of Consciousness
- A theory of the conscious mind, by Norman Stubbs.
The Society for the Anthropology of Consciousness
- A division of the American Anthropology Association, which convenes academic meetings and publishes scholarly journals.
Some Concepts of Consciousness
- Consciousness as a mongrel concept by Ned Block.
Studies on Consciousness
- Study of consciousness, mind and cognition. Contains regular reviews, essays and a bibliography on the subject.
Unified Reality Theory
- Steven Kaufman attempts to demonstrate that the source of reality is a universal consciousness, that we are in no way separable from that source, and so in no way truly separable from each other or any other aspect of reality.
University of Philosophical Research
- Based in Los Angeles, and offering a master's degree in consciousness studies with "a curriculum that integrates the Ancient Wisdom traditions with the latest findings in Science and Psychology".
View from the Stranger's Gallery
- An oratorio attempting to render in music the internal and external influences that inform one's experience of consciousness, and which traces the current debate in cognitive science in a post-dualist world.
Virtual Reality: Consciousness Really Explained
- A radical scientific and evolutionary hypothesis about the origin of mind. By Jerome Iglowitz.
- Center for studies of the traditional Amazonian hallucinogen ayahuasca, and its effects on consciousness. Includes information about the center, its seminars and presenters, and "ethenogenic" drugs in general. Located in Florianópolis, Brazil.
What Can the Paranormal Teach Us About Consciousness?
- Susan Blackmore argues that the study of the paranormal (even if it exists, which she doubts) is not very relevant to consciousness research. Many or even most alleged paranormal phenomena seem to work unconsciously.
How does Cognition Influence Emotion?
- A collection of articles about emotion, cognition and consciousness. (January 20, 2014)
Why the efficacy of consciousness cannot be limited to the mind
- Titus Rivas' essay argues that consciousness must ultimately have an impact on the physical world. (September 22, 2003)
Usenet alt.consciousness -
Usenet sci.psychology.consciousness -
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 1998-2015 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: July 23, 2015 at 0:35:08 UTC -