the entire directory
only in Philosophy/Philosophy_of_Mind
Philosophy of Mind
Free Will and Determinism
Language of Thought
Philosophy of Artificial Intelligence
Science: Social Sciences: Cognitive Science
Science: Social Sciences: Psychology
Society: History: By Topic: Science: Psychology
Society: Philosophy: Philosophy of Science: Social Science
Argumentation Map: Do Computers Have to be Conscious to Think?
- Argumentation maps propose to map the detailed structure of major philosophical debates in graphical form. Portions of the map of the "Can Computers Think?" debate are now available online.
Arts and Minds
- Contains theory and essays by Mayer Spivack. Primarily emphasizes human cognition, animal cognition, associative reasoning (syncretic reasoning), creativity, learning and learning disability.
An atheist philosophy beyond the "bright" attitude
- The naturalism of the Bright Movement is present in Real Dualism, but even an anthropologic analysis that get over the traditional materialism
Behavioral & Prints Archive
- Articles on the subject of philosophy of mind.
Center for Consciousness Studies at the University of Arizona.
- The main institutional center for Consciousness Studies. Host of the Tucson "Toward a Science of Consciousness" conferences, and periodically stages on-line courses on aspects of Consciousness Studies.
- The interdisciplinary study of mind and intelligence. From the Stanford Encyclopedia, by Paul Thagard..
Computing Machinery and Intelligence
- The classic 1950 article by Alan Turing on machine intelligence, where he introduces the famous Turing test.
- Movement in cognitive science which hopes to explain human intellectual abilities using artificial neural networks. From the Stanford Encyclopedia, by James W. Garson.
Consciousness and Intentionality
- Discussion of the connection between phenomenal consciousness and intentionality; by Charles Siewert.
Contemporary Philosophy of Mind: An Annotated Bibliography
- Thousands of entries, categorized by subject matter. From David Chalmers.
Dictionary of Philosophy of Mind
- A collection of definitions and brief scholarly discussions of key terms in the Philosophy of Mind. Also includes brief biographical sketches of important figures in cognitive science.
The Doomsday Simulation Argument
- A compact response to both Leslie's doomsday argument and Bostrom's simulation argument, by I.A. Aranyosi [PDF]
- The view that some or all of the mental states posited by common-sense do not actually exist; from the Stanford Encyclopedia by William Ramsey.
- Discusses the view that mental events are caused by physical events in the brain, but have no effects upon any physical events. From the Stanford Encyclopedia, by William S. Robinson.
The Extended Mind
- This paper by Andy Clark and David Chalmers proposes an active externalist theory of mind - that when we use tools such as paper or computers to aid in our cognition, they become part of our minds.
A Field Guide to the Philosophy of Mind
- Survey articles on key issues in the field, and an annotated bibliography.
Higher-order Theories of Consciousness
- Theories which explain conscious states by their relations to higher-order representations of them; from the Stanford Encyclopedia by Peter Carruthers.
Hyponoeticism - New Philosophy of Mind
- A New and Challenging Philosophy of Mind.
The Identity Theory of Mind
- Evaluates the theory that holds that states and processes of the mind are identical to states and processes of the brain. From the Stanford Encyclopedia, by J. J. C. Smart.
Living philosophy from a modern thinker
- Includes a study of belief, mind, relativity, sign systems and matter. Philosophy is integrated with psychology and science.
- A mental representation is a mental object with semantic properties. According to the Representational Theory of Mind, psychological states are to be understood as relations between agents and mental representations. Article from the Stanford Encyclopedia, by David Pitt.
Mind and Body: Rene Descartes to William James
- By Robert H. Wozniak, Bryn Mawr College. History of philosophical and scientific reactions to "the Cartesian impasse". Spanish translation available.
Mind and Mechanism - Notre Dame Philosophical Reviews
- Varol Akman reviews this book by Drew V. McDermott.
- Discusses the contention that a given mental kind (property, state, event) is realized by distinct physical kinds. From the Stanford Encyclopedia, by John Bickle.
- The doctrine that mind is a fundamental feature of the world which exists throughout the universe; from the Stanford Encyclopedia by William Seager.
Parsimony and the Mind
- The principle of parsimony and its application to the mind-body problem
The Pre-History of Cognitive Science
- An annotated bibliography of the models of human cognition of Berkeley, Burton, Hobbes, and Locke. (More figures from the seventeenth through nineteenth centuries are promised.)
The Simulation Argument
- Site examining the hypothesis that we are currently living in an "ancestor simulation" run by a future, post-human society. Includes papers and research links.
Simulation, Consciousness, Existence
- A view on consciousness, universal existence, nothingness, reality.
The Society for Philosophy and Psychology (SPP).
- The leading U.S. organization for discussion between (analytic) philosophers and (mainly cognitively oriented) psychologists.
- Condensed edition of Descartes' 'Meditations', with study notes and glossary.
Stanford Encyclopedia - The Computational Theory of Mind
- The philosophical theory that the mind is, or functions like, a computer; by Steven Horst.
Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy - The Turing Test
- Proposal due to Alan Turing for a criterion of the presence of mind or consciousness; by Graham Oppy and David Dowe.
SWIF Philosophy of Mind
- Bibliographies by topic and author, event listings, online texts, new books (with links), and many links to online reference works, relevant institutions, journal home pages, and other sites.
The Unity of Consciousness
- History and philosophical accounts of unity of consciousness; from the Stanford Encyclopedia by Andrew Brook.
Usenet comp.ai.philosophy -
Usenet sci.cognitive -
Usenet sci.psychology.consciousness -
Philosophy of Mind
" search on:
Copyright © 1998-2014 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: October 2, 2014 at 11:05:04 UTC -