become an editor
the entire directory
only in Philosophy_of_Logic/Truth_Definitions
Philosophy of Logic
Open Directory - Society: Philosophy: Philosophy of Logic: Truth Definitions
Society: Philosophy: Epistemology
Coherence Theory of Truth
- The truth of any (true) proposition consists in its coherence with some specified set of propositions. From the Stanford Encyclopedia, by James O. Young.
Correspondence Theory of Truth
- The thesis that propositions are made true in virtue of corresponding to facts; from the Stanford Encyclopedia by Marian David.
Deflationary Theory of Truth
- According to the deflationary theory of truth, to assert that a statement is true is just to assert the statement itself. From the Stanford Encyclopedia, by Daniel Stoljar.
The Diamond Theory of Truth
- Trudeau, in The Non-Euclidean Revolution, argued for his "Story Theory of truth" as opposed to the traditional "Diamond Theory of truth". This site defends Plato and diamond theory against postmodernists and story theory.
Identity Theory of Truth
- When a truth-bearer (e.g. a proposition) is true, there is a truth-maker (e.g. a fact) with which it is identical and the truth of the former consists in its identity with the latter. From the Stanford Encyclopedia, by Stewart Candlish.
In Spite of Davidson's Arguments for `The Folly of Trying to Define Truth', Truth Can Be Defined
- Article by Dan Nesher presented at the 20th World Congress of Philosophy.
Is Truth Objective or Subjective?
- An article that examines the nature of truth. Is truth objective or subjective? Can it be both?
On the Truth Process
- An open lecture by Alain Badiou held in August 2002 at the European Graduate School discussing truth, friendship, and the relationship between philosophy and poetry.
Revision Theory of Truth
- Theory developed in an attempt to analyze paradoxes such as the liar paradox that appear to show that common-sense beliefs about truth are inconsistent. From the Stanford Encyclopedia, by Eric M. Hammer.
The Semantical Conception of Truth
- Online text of Tarski's 1944 article.
- Discussion of notion of verisimilitude, closeness to truth; from the Stanford Encyclopedia by Graham Oddie.
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 2013 Netscape
Visit our sister sites
Last update: Tuesday, January 2, 2007 4:49:50 PM EST -