become an editor
the entire directory
only in Philosophy_of_Logic/Logic_and_Ontology
Philosophy of Logic
Logic and Ontology
Reference: Knowledge Management: Knowledge Representation: Ontologies
Society: Philosophy: Metaphysics: Ontology
Diagrams (Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy)
- Article from the encyclopedia edited by Zalta, Nodelman and Allen (Metaphysics Research Lab – Center for the Study of Language and Information – Stanford University).
- A lecture by Gregory Ulmer, University of Florida, part of the Open Philosophy series at European Graduate School.
Essence, the metaphysical ground of logic and language
- The bankruptcy of logic, the stultification of reason and the meaninglessness of all views, by Colin L. Dean [PDF]
Issues of logic, algebra and topology in ontology
- The interpretation of the symbols involved in a case study of geometric logic, being aided by a presentation of the logic as a sequent calculus.
Logic and Formal Ontology
- Essay that begins with an exposition of Husserl's act-based conception of what a science is, and goes on to consider his account of the role of linguistic meanings, of the ontology of scientific objects, and of evidence and truth.
Logic and Ontology
- Review of the historical relation between logic and ontology and of the opposition between the views of logic as language and logic as calculus.
- Patricia Blanchette reviews this book by Colin McGinn. From Notre Dame Philosophical Reviews.
Meaning and the Problem of Universals
- Subtitled a "Kantian-Friesian approach", an article by Kelley L. Ross. A historical survey of the problem of universals.
On the Logic of the Ontological Argument
- Article by Paul E. Oppenheimer and Edward N. Zalta which presents a formalization of the ontological argument. [PDF]
On the Origins of Analytic Philosophy
- Review of the German and Austrian traditions of post-Kantian philosophy. Austrian philosophy is characterized by a concentration on problems of logic, language and ontology. [PDF]
The Philosophy of Bernard Bolzano: Logic and Ontology
- A selection of critical judgements on the philosophy of Bernard Bolzano, with a focus on his contributions to logic and ontology.
Relating ontology and logic
- The thesis of this book is that Russell's work in logic cannot be understood separately from his ontological ideas, here somewhat archaically labeled "metaphysical". [PDF]
The Role of Logic and Ontology in Language and Reasoning
- This article analyzes the design of automated systems for reasoning in terms of Peirce’s semiotics and Wittgenstein’s language games.
Semantics and Ontology in Quantified Modal Logic
- Discussion about how to individuate a single formal system as paradigmatic for a philosophical view, by Stefano Borgo and Claudio Masolo. [PDF]
Synoptic Logic & Formal Ontology
- Paper that suggests a general perspective in formal ontology and that the most general ontological categories are identical with that of logic. [PDF]
To Be and to Belong
- Lecture on the fundamentals of philosophy by Juan José Luetich. Definitions are the undertaking of ontology; confronting definitions engages the field of dialectics; logic completes the circle, acting to obtain new definitions. [PDF]
Vagueness, Logic, and Ontology
- Article by Achille Varzi about vagueness of boundaries in definitions and categories.
Why are logic and ontology prior to language?
- A review on the picture theory and the expressive theory of language and a possible conciliation, by Berislav Žarnić.
Logic and Ontology
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 1998-2015 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: July 11, 2014 at 11:36:09 UTC -