become an editor
the entire directory
only in Product_Liability/Tobacco
Arts: Movies: Titles: I: Insider, The
Health: Specific Substances: Tobacco
Society: Issues: Health: Tobacco
Tobacco Products Liability Project
- Information on tobacco trials for plaintiffs and attorneys; news and announcements; backgrounders for media and the public.
19th Conference of the Tobacco Products Liability Project
- Announcement of conference for plaintiffs and the public health community only, scheduled for November 22-24, 2002 in San Francisco.
Are Punitive Damages Enough
- Columnist comments on a trial outcome, summarizes the judge's decision and reasoning.
Big Tobacco's Worst Nightmare
- Profile of Cheryl Perry, an epidemiology professor at the University of Minnesota, who become an expert in the industry's own words on promoting cigarettes to children.
Florida Tobacco Litigation Symposium: Fact, Law, Policy, and Significance
- Transcript of panel discussion on tobacco ligitagion, focusing on public health benefits, with emphasis on Florida's suit against the tobacco industry.
Gallop Poll for Philip Morris on Surgeon General's Warning
- In public the tobacco industry says "everyone knew" the risks of smoking. But this 1973 survey secretly done for Philip Morris showed that only 3.1% of smokers were aware of the Surgeon General's health warning.
Interview with G. Robert Blakey
- In an interview, Robert Blankey, a former federal prosecuter and the author of the federal RICO statute, compares the cigarette industry to the Mafia and recommends using RICO laws to criminally prosecute the tobacco industry.
The Jesse Williams Case
- Summary of an individual case against Philip Morris.
Litigation and Public Inquires as Public Health Tools for Tobacco Control
- Report in PDF (Adobe Acrobat) format.
The Shredding of BAT's defense: McCabe vs. British American Tobacco Australia
- Policy journal analyzes tobacco industry destruction of evidence committed in litigation of an Australian smoker.
Tobacco Control Resource Center
- The facts on big tobacco on trial, from the Northeastern University School of Law in Boston.
A Tobacco Lawsuit Primer
- Article describes the different types of litigation outstanding against tobacco companies.
Tobacco On Trial
- Weblog covers the history of Department of Justice trial against the tobacco industry. Features trial updates, transcripts, original reporting, analysis, and behind the scenes interviews.
Tobacco Trial Lawyers Association
- Supports and represents those who fight on behalf of consumers injured or killed by tobacco. Membership is open to those with a substantial interest in fighting consumer cases.
Big Tobacco's Nemesis
- Howard Acosta has sued tobacco companies about 150 times, without earning a penny, but he's no quitter. (April 17, 2003)
Blaming Tobacco's Victims
- Op-ed examines society's tendency to blame smokers, and explains why juries are less willing to do so: tobacco industry recruiting of kids, decades-long efforts to cloud the issue, and engineering of product for addiction. (July 07, 2002)
- An essay by Harvard Law professor Kip Viscusi arguing that the settlement of the lawsuit against tobacco firms didn't penalize those firms, but instead penalized smokers, the so-called victims. (May 19, 2002)
Will Litigation Become Part of Public Health Arsenal in Canada's War Against Smoking?
- Discussion of documents obtained through U.S. litigation against tobacco companies, and how it affects the potential for similar litigation in Canada. From the Canadian Medical Association Journal. (May 30, 2000)
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 1998-2014 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: December 14, 2014 at 16:24:11 UTC -