become an editor
the entire directory
only in Warfare_and_Conflict/Future_Issues
Warfare and Conflict
Society: Issues: Terrorism
Society: Issues: Warfare and Conflict: Information Warfare
Society: Issues: Warfare and Conflict: Weapons
Fighting in the Gray Zone. A Strategy to Close the Preemption Gap.
- The US 2002 National Security Strategy (NSS) identified the proliferation, privatization, and acquisition of weapons of mass destruction by terrorist groups and rogue states as the critical nontraditional threat of the 21st century. Published in September 2004, US Army War College. Authored by Joanne M. Fish, Samuel F. McCraw and Christopher J. Reddish.
Global Guerrillas: 4GW -- Fourth Generation Warfare
- An overview of the key concepts by John Robb, May 2004.
Globalization and the Nature of War
- The article shows how globalization is enhancing the role of political guidance and changing the nature of war. Author: Antulio Echevarria II. Strategic Studies Institute (SSI) of the US Army War College, 2003.
Matrix Warfare: The New Face of Competition and Conflict in the 21st Century
- A description of new organizational patterns and their application to war and business. By J. Noel Williams for Small Wars Journal, USA, August 2005. (pdf file) [PDF]
Nanotechnology and International Security
- How technologies emerging over the coming decades will undermine military stability while causing economic and political turmoil. The need to move beyond deterrence to an integrated international security system. Article by Mark Avrum Gubrud, Center for Superconductivity Research, University of Maryland, 1997.
The New Craft of Intelligence: Achieving Asymmetric Advantage in the Face of Non Traditional Threats
- A paper where the author, Robert M. Steele, examines two paradigm shifts--one in relation to the threat and a second in relation to intelligence methods-- while offering a new model for threat analysis and a new model for intelligence operations in non-traditional asymmetric warfare. Strategic Studies Institute, US Army War College, February 2002.
Past and Future of Nuclear War
- Transcript of a talk given at American University, April 2002, with edits.
Recognizing and Understanding Revolutionary Change in Warfare: The Sovereignty of Context - Strategic Studies Institute
- The author, Colin S. Gray, provides a critical audit of the great RMA debate and of some actual RMA behavior and warns against a transformation that is highly potent only in a narrow range of strategic cases. He warns that the military effectiveness of a process of revolutionary change in a "way of war" can only be judged by the test of battle, and possibly not even then. Strategic Studies Institute, U.S. Army War College, February 2006. [PDF]
Toward the 21st Century: Trends in Post-Cold War International Security
- Addresses key changes since the Cold War ended, lessons, current problems and issues. Commissioned by the Swiss Ministry of Defense, 1998.
Violent Conflict in the 21st Century: Causes, Instruments, and Mitigation
- Collection of essays including 'The New Evils of the 21st Century' by Robert D. Kaplan; 'Weapons of Mass Destruction and Physical Heritage of the Cold War' by W.K.H. Panofsky and 'Group Loyalty and Ethnic Violence' by Donald L. Horowitz. [PDF]
The War in Iraq: the Nature of Insurgency Warfare
- An overview of the challenges derived from this revitalized kind of war. Andrew Krepinevich, Jun 2004. [PDF]
Warfare in the 21st Century
- Books, documents, articles and web sites. References gathered in a selected bibliography compiled by Jane E. Gibish, U.S. Army War College Library, July 2003.
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 1998-2016 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: April 30, 2016 at 17:56:26 UTC -