become an editor
the entire directory
only in Sudan/Darfur_Conflict
Open Directory - Society: Issues: Territorial Disputes: Sudan: Darfur Conflict
Regional: Africa: Sudan: News and Media
Regional: Africa: Sudan: Society and Culture
This category in other languages:
Council on Foreign Relations - Crisis Guide: Darfur
- Interactive look at the crisis in Darfur includes related news stories and materials.
Darfur Information Center (DIC)
- Background information provided by Ali B. Ali-Dinar, Ph.D, University of Pennsylvania African Studies Center.
- Project to end genocide and crimes against humanity, currently focused on Sudan and Congo. Includes blog, news reports, events, publications and how to support.
Eyes On Darfur
- Amnesty international project includes satellite evidence, conflict analysis, photo galleries, information on international response, and specific ways to take action.
Guardian Unlimited - Scorched
- As the conflict in Darfur spreads across central Africa, with thousands more displaced and killed, Julian Borger in Chad investigates the origins and contradictions of what is likely to be seen as the first climate change war.
Harvard Humanitarian Initiative
- Seeks to advance the science, practice, professional development, and role of human rights in humanitarian emergency response worldwide. Includes news, events, programs and research, publications, and how to support their efforts.
Human Rights Watch - Atrocities in Western Sudan
- Reports documenting the violence against the Fur, Masaalit and Zaghawa ethnic groups.
Justice and Equality Movement
- The official site of the J.E.M. opposition group.
Logistic Cluster - Sudan
- Official site of the UN's JLC inter-agency team in Sudan provides information on the coordination and optimisation of the logistics capabilities of humanitarian organisations involved in large-scale emergencies.
PBS - The NewsHour: Crisis in Sudan
- Special report includes reports and background information, profiles on the groups involved, archive and a regional map.
Satellite Sentinel Project
- George Clooney and John Prendergast, using satellite imagery to monitor the violence by Sudan against South Sudan, focus world attention, and generate rapid responses. Includes blog, video and news reports, photos and imagery, press releases and how to get involved.
- Analytic briefs and advocacy writings on the alleged genocide in Sudan by Eric Reeves, a Professor of English Language and Literature at Smith College in Northampton, Massachusetts.
United States Holocaust Memorial Museum - Crisis in Darfur
- Photographs, data, and eyewitness testimony about Darfur assembled from a number of sources, combined with the photographic mapping of Google Earth.
Washington Post - Sudan in Crisis
- Coverage of the conflict in the Darfur region of Sudan which claimed as many as 450,000 lives, displaced 2.5 million people and left up to 4 million dependent on outside aid. Includes archives, related special reports, live discussions and additional resources.
WHO - Health Situation in Darfur, Sudan
- Situation reports and technical guidance from the World Health Organization.
Wikipedia - War in Darfur
- Hyperlinked encyclopedia article about the violence taking place in Darfur, Sudan since February 2003. Includes extensive bibliography.
New York Times - A godsend for Darfur, or a curse?
- If environmental degradation and the symptoms of a warming planet are at the root of the Darfur crisis, perhaps the newly-discovered underground lake, the size of Lake Erie, will solve the conflict. (July 21, 2007)
Washington Post - A Climate Culprit In Darfur
- Ban Ki Moon, secretary general of the United Nations, writes about the Darfur conflict's beginnings as an ecological crisis, arising at least in part from climate change. (June 16, 2007)
Bush announces new Sudan sanctions on Darfur
- AP report from Seattle Times Newspaper, President Bush ordered new U.S. economic sanctions to pressure Sudan's government to halt the bloodshed in Darfur. (May 29, 2007)
Time - How to Prevent the Next Darfur
- The roots of the Africa resource wars lie in climate change. (April 26, 2007)
National Geographic - Photos, Video Expose Darfur Atrocities in Google Earth
- Images and survivor stories embedded in the virtual globe bring the violence up close and personal, while real-time spin-offs aim to track and perhaps deter armed militias. (April 25, 2007)
CNN - Warren Buffet and Darfur
- Describes the possible negative impact on the violence in Darfur by the investment of the Berkshire Hathaway company, which is run by Warren Buffett, in a Chinese petroleum business. Article describes the trend for companies to divest in the region and the businessman's public response. (April 18, 2007)
BBC News - Google Earth Turns Spotlight on Darfur
- A US holocaust museum and Google Earth team up to show people what is happening in Sudan's conflict-torn Darfur region. (April 11, 2007)
London Review of Books - The Politics of Naming: Genocide, Civil War, Insurgency
- Mahmood Mamdani compares Iraq and Darfur, explaining the roots of the conflicts and the reasons to be wary of Iraq-style interventionism in Darfur. (March 08, 2007)
Christian Science Monitor - Africans Are Already Facing Climate Change
- Scott Baldauf reviews the latest UN report about climate change and how the people of Kenya, Sudan, Ethiopia, Somalia and Chad are already seeing the repercussions of drought, including war. (November 06, 2006)
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 2013 Netscape
Visit our sister sites
Last update: Wednesday, July 31, 2013 12:00:13 PM EDT -