become an editor
the entire directory
only in Intellectual_Property/Genetic_Resources
Open Directory - Society: Issues: Intellectual Property: Genetic Resources
Genetic Resources for Food and Agriculture
This category in other languages:
- A useful personal weblog on international negotiations on biodiversity issues.
Intellectual Property and Community Rights in African Agriculture: Implications for Small Farmers
- Authoritative introduction to these issues by Genetic Resources Action International (GRAIN) concerning African countries that are being forced to choose between two conflicting paths for agricultural research and development: one rooted in the knowledge and practices of its farmers and agricultural biodiversity or one dependent on the products of Northern corporations.
International Treaty on Plant Genetic Resources for Food and Agriculture
- UKabc portal on the IT PGRFA (International Seed Treaty) that governs the access, use, conservation and development of the genetic resources of food security crop and forage species. Treaty outlaws IPRs on selected PGRFA. Links to all official FAO, media and CSO resources on the Treaty.
People, Plants and Patents
- Full text of 1994 book on the impact of intellectual property on trade, agricultural biodiversity, and rural society by The Crucible Group, hosted by IDRC.
- Full text and publication details of Volume 1 (ownership, conservation and exchange of genetic resources) and Volume 2 (legal mechanisms) which update People, Plants and Patents. Published by The Crucible Group/IDRC in 2000.
Small-scale Producers' Intellectual Rights to Agricultural Biodiversity
- Introduction to the issues in a Kenyan context, with an emphasis on farmers, pastoralists and fisherfolk, and the need for protocols on intellectual property. Includes Via Campesina's statement on Farmers' Rights.
TRIPs, Biodiversity and Commonwealth Countries
- Discussion paper prepared for the Commonwealth Secretariat on capacity building priorities for the Review of TRIPs Article 27.3(b). Extensive links to related papers and sites.
TRIPs, Sui Generis and Plant Variety Protection
- Third World Network's pages on IP issues. Extensive and historical coverage of the issues from an authoritative developing country perspective.
UPOV - International Union for the Protection of New Varieties of Plants
- Website of the institution that governs this 65 nation Convention on Plant Variety Protection (PVP) of crops and flowers. Details of the Convention, membership, conduct, implementation.
WIPO: Intellectual Property and Genetic Resources, Traditional Knowledge, and Folklore
- World Intellectual Property Organisation (WIPO) pages on Intellectual Property and Genetic Resources with links to Traditional Knowledge, and Folklore. Includes coverage of the intergovernmental committee covering all three issues.
WorldTrade Organisation - TRIPs / Patents pages
- WTO's pages on the Agreement on Trade-Related aspects of Intellectual Property rights (TRIPs), highlighting the patents clauses which include genetic resources patents. Links to all other aspects of trade and intellectual property.
Porto Alegre Treaty to Share the Global Commons
- Full text and background of proposed treaty designed to ensure that governments and Indigenous Peoples, who are the caretakers of their part of the genetic commons, establish the appropriate statutory mechanisms needed to ensure both sovereignty and open access to the world's genetic diversity. (February 02, 2002)
" search on:
Copyright © 2013 Netscape
Visit our sister sites
Last update: Tuesday, December 10, 2013 2:54:07 PM EST -