become an editor
the entire directory
only in Intellectual_Property/Genetic_Resources
Genetic Resources for Food and Agriculture
This category in other languages:
Action Aid Food Rights: TRIPs review
- Resources related to Action Aid's campaign on genetic resources with links to papers on IPRs, TRIPs, GM crops, agricultural trade and corporate control.
Biotechnology and Development Monitor (now closed)
- Various archived articles from Biotechnology and Development Monitor concerning aspects of IPRs, seed systems and biotechnology. The website is currently not active (2014).
- A useful personal weblog on international negotiations on biodiversity issues.
Commission on Intellectual Property Rights (CIPR)
- UK Government IPR Commission's website containing background, papers, conference reports and UK government response. Commission's Report: "Integrating IPRs and Development Policy" available in many languages.
Intellectual Property and Community Rights in African Agriculture: Implications for Small Farmers
- Authoritative introduction to these issues by Genetic Resources Action International (GRAIN) concerning African countries that are being forced to choose between two conflicting paths for agricultural research and development: one rooted in the knowledge and practices of its farmers and agricultural biodiversity or one dependent on the products of Northern corporations.
International Treaty on Plant Genetic Resources for Food and Agriculture
- UKabc portal on the IT PGRFA (International Seed Treaty) that governs the access, use, conservation and development of the genetic resources of food security crop and forage species. Treaty outlaws IPRs on selected PGRFA. Links to all official FAO, media and CSO resources on the Treaty.
People, Plants and Patents
- Full text of 1994 book on the impact of intellectual property on trade, agricultural biodiversity, and rural society by The Crucible Group, hosted by IDRC.
Quaker United Nations Office (QUNO)
- QUNO publications on Intellectual Property and agriculture, including aspects related to genetic resources, food, sui generis systems and related issues; and with links to further relevant QUNO work on Trade and Investment
- Full text and publication details of Volume 1 (ownership, conservation and exchange of genetic resources) and Volume 2 (legal mechanisms) which update People, Plants and Patents. Published by The Crucible Group/IDRC in 2000.
Small-scale Producers' Intellectual Rights to Agricultural Biodiversity
- Introduction to the issues in a Kenyan context, with an emphasis on farmers, pastoralists and fisherfolk, and the need for protocols on intellectual property. Includes Via Campesina's statement on Farmers' Rights.
Trade, Intellectual Property, Food and Biodiversity
- Comprehensive web resources prepared and maintained by Geoff Tansey for the Quaker United Nations Office (QUNO) on key issues relating to genetic resources governance including WTO/TRIPs and impacts of different measures on food security and agricultural biodiversity. [PDF]
Traditional Ecological Knowledge and Prior Art Database (TEK*PAD)
- An online, searchable archive of public domain documented uses of traditional ecological knowledge concerning indigenous knowledge and plant species, necessary to establish prior art. Includes taxonomic data, ethnobotanical uses, scientific/medical papers, and patent applications.
TRIPs, Biodiversity and Commonwealth Countries
- Discussion paper prepared for the Commonwealth Secretariat on capacity building priorities for the Review of TRIPs Article 27.3(b). Extensive links to related papers and sites.
UPOV - International Union for the Protection of New Varieties of Plants
- Website of the institution that governs this 65 nation Convention on Plant Variety Protection (PVP) of crops and flowers. Details of the Convention, membership, conduct, implementation.
WIPO: Intellectual Property and Genetic Resources, Traditional Knowledge, and Folklore
- World Intellectual Property Organisation (WIPO) pages on Intellectual Property and Genetic Resources with links to Traditional Knowledge, and Folklore. Includes coverage of the intergovernmental committee covering all three issues.
World Patent System
- Review by GRAIN of moves by the World Intellectual Property Organisation to implement a single global system for approval and administration of patents.
WorldTrade Organisation - TRIPs / Patents pages
- WTO's pages on the Agreement on Trade-Related aspects of Intellectual Property rights (TRIPs), highlighting the patents clauses which include genetic resources patents. Links to all other aspects of trade and intellectual property.
The True Cost of Gene Patents: The Economic and Social Consequences of Patenting Genes and Living Organisms
- This Greenpeace report is one in a series that call for a substantial restriction of, or a complete end to, the patenting of genes and living organisms(2004) [PDF] (March 01, 2004)
Porto Alegre Treaty to Share the Global Commons
- Full text and background of proposed treaty designed to ensure that governments and Indigenous Peoples, who are the caretakers of their part of the genetic commons, establish the appropriate statutory mechanisms needed to ensure both sovereignty and open access to the world's genetic diversity. (February 02, 2002)
Alternative Mechanisms to Enhance Corporate Monopoly and BioSerfdom in the 21st Century
- ETC Group Communiqué on the uncertainties surrounding intellectual property rights, which, being increasingly unacceptable to industry, is why new tools for monopoly control of biological and other resources are being developed. (January 01, 2001)
" search on:
Copyright © 1998-2015 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: January 2, 2015 at 1:45:04 UTC -