become an editor
the entire directory
only in Intellectual_Property/Copyrights
Open Directory - Society: Issues: Intellectual Property: Copyrights
Consumer Broadband and Digital Television Promotion Act
Digital Millennium Copyright Act
Digital Rights Management
European Union Copyright Directive
Security Systems Standards and Certification Act
Sonny Bono Copyright Term Extension Act
Stop Online Piracy Act
USA v. Dmitry Sklyarov
Arts: Movies: Titles: W: Willful Infringement
Society: Activism: Media: Culture Jamming: Telephone Tone Copyright
Society: Law: Legal Information: Intellectual Property: Copyrights
Against Perpetual Copyright
- Rebuttal to Mark Helperin's "A Great Idea Lives Forever. Shouldn’t Its Copyright?", explicating deficiencies in his arguments for infinite copyright terms.
Anarchism Triumphant: Free Software and the Death of Copyright
- How the Internet and free software render copyrights useless, dooming them much as capitalism doomed slavery.
Artists Rights Society
- Provides visual artists with support for copyright clearance and monitors the use and potential abuse of artists' rights.
Copyright and Globalization in the Age of Computer Networks
- Transcript of a talk by Richard Stallman, on how copyright law no longer protects the public interest, and how it might be curtailed in different ways for different kinds of works.
- Book by Jessica Litman about the collision between expectations of freedom of expression and copyright law.
- Organization for protecting fair-use rights in the digital world. Advocates a Consumer Technology Bill of Rights including the rights to time-shift and space-shift media and to make backup copies.
History of Copyright
- A very simple but authoritative reference for the history of copyrights back to the 14th Century with references.
I Am Gonna Copy
- Poll to vote on the proposition that everything that can be copied should be free, with no copyright and no intellectual property. Also includes links to articles and opinions.
Intellectual Property and Copyright Ethics
- Academic paper. General introduction to the subject of copyright ethics.
Jewish Law and Copyright
- Rabbi Israel Schneider gives his interpretation of Mosaic law and copyright issues.
Michael Geist: 30 Days of DRM
- Thirty daily postings highlights some of the exceptions and limitations that the government should include if a Canadian DMCA is introduced. Includes a wiki for user comments and contributions.
- Explains how the perpetual copyright policy manifested in the Sonny Bono Copyright Term Extension Act of 1998 has made it impossible to preserve art.
Politics of Copy Protection Technology, The
- Paper by Damian Yerrick about "under the table" laws such as the Bono Act and the DMCA sponsored by corporate lobbyists that dilute the public's right to publish.
- A weblog questioning the idea that copyright is necessary for the promotion of creative expression. Has a collection of interesting links.
The Revolt of the Poor - The Demise of Intellectual Property?
- With the advent of new media, e-publishing, self-publishing, and differential patent enforcement and pricing - intellectual property rights may be in trouble.
- A lobbying group formed by typeface designers, targeting copyright protection for the design of fonts in the United States, bringing copyright law in line with other western countries.
LA Times: Copyright This
- Dallas Weaver argues that intellectual property's social value may eventually trump copyright law. (February 20, 2008)
Infringement Nation: Copyright Reform and the Law/Norm Gap
- Essay on the growing gap between what technology allows us to do and what copyright tells us not to do, and how it turns ordinary people into serial infringers. By John Tehranian. [Utah Law Review] (November 01, 2007)
A Great Idea Lives Forever. Shouldn’t Its Copyright?
- Opinion article arguing that copyrights, like physical property rights, should last forever. By Mark Helperin. (May 20, 2007)
The Campaign to Have Copyright Interests Trump Technology and Consumer Rights
- Speech by Gary Shapiro, President of the Consumer Electronics Association, to the Optical Storage Symposium. (September 17, 2002)
Copyright as Cudgel
- Recent expansion of copyright law threatens research and education, destroys rights, and impoverishes public discourse. [Chronicle of Higher Education] (August 02, 2002)
Legal Theorist, The
- Profile of Paula Samuelson, law professor who has spent 15 years fighting what she sees as overzealous and innovation-stifling expansion of copyright laws in the high-tech arena. [Wall Street Journal] (May 13, 2002)
Guiding the Path of Intellectual Property
- "It is important to rediscover the roots of intellectual property to understand why SSSCA is too much, and the DMCA already went too far." Editorial and reader comments. [kuro5hin] (March 09, 2002)
Can the World Be Copyrighted?
- "Two treaties taking effect this spring would expand the reach of controversial American legislation designed to regulate the Internet." By Brad King. [Wired] (February 26, 2002)
Slashdot - Canada to Hold Public Hearings on Digital Copyright
- Article on the Canadian government holding public hearings on the Copyright Act reform. (February 19, 2002)
Buy DVDs and Games Abroad - and Break the Law
- "British consumers will be on the wrong side of the law for the first time if they buy overseas DVDs or computer games 'unauthorised' for the UK and play them on their PCs at home." By Drew Cullen. [Register] (January 24, 2002)
- How intellectual property laws stifle popular culture, and violate freedom of speech. About old works being kept in obscurity, and new ones being silenced. Article by Jesse Walker, Reason magazine. (March 01, 2000)
Washington Post: Copyright, copywrong
- The old copyright rules apply, and figuring out just how is giving heartburn to lawyers the world over. (September 10, 1997)
Reevaluating Copyright: The Public Must Prevail
- Open source pioneer Richard Stallman discusses some problems with copyright restrictions. (May 01, 1996)
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 2013 Netscape
Visit our sister sites
Last update: Friday, May 31, 2013 11:24:10 AM EDT -