become an editor
the entire directory
only in Tobacco/Media
Open Directory - Society: Issues: Health: Tobacco: Media
Arts: Movies: Titles: I: Insider, The
Society: Issues: Health: Tobacco: Advocacy: Pro-Tobacco: Public Relations
Big Tobacco's Deadly Deceits
- Article in Midwest Today, June/July 1996. "Cigarette Makers Have Worked Hard to Get Smokers Hooked".
Censored: The Leaked ABC Tape
- In March 1994, ABC killed a "Turning Point" documentary on Big Tobacco. Includes the text and some of the video (as QuickTime clips) from the never-aired show.
Coverage of Smoking in Women's Magazines
- A review of 13 magazines across 5 months finds they dispense a lot of health advice but say little about smoking. Over that same period, those magazines ran over 300 cigarette ads.
Exposé 'Journalist' Conned Colleagues For 35 Years as Spy for Tobacco
- Tobacco PR man Leonard Zahn, masquerading as a journalist, spied on "anti-tobacco" scientists, and on reporters and news media, for more than a third of a century.
External Influences on News
- Lecture outline for college class on media features tobacco examples of self-censorship by news organizations.
Fallout from the Tobacco War
- Column explores the impact of the Internet on public information on tobacco and the tobacco industry.
Frontline: Smoke in the Eye: Jeffrey Wigand
- Transcript of Frontline report on Wigand, the censored 60 Minutes show, the tobacco industry, and media.
Interview of Dr. Stanton Glantz
- Frontline interview; covers the Brown and Willaimson documents; the "settlement"; public health activities; the industry. "This is an industry whose whole thinking and behavior has been dominated by avoiding responsibility for its actions".
Media Firms Buy Their Way To Political Access
- Center for Public Integrity report on media political power covers the connections between the tobacco industry and media, such as $1.1 billion in cigarette advertising, and what it buys.
Philip Morris Complains About Ad Placement
- Presents and analyzes a letter that Philip Morris sent to newspapers to complain about where and how its ads ran.
- Chapter from a book on the Brown and Williamson papers documents some examples of tobacco industry influence on media.
Smoking News - Topix
- News on smoking collected from diverse sources on the web.
TV ACRES: Tobacco Products Section
- Summarizes tobacco products hawked on TV, including having the stars smoke the sponsor's product on the show, as well as later history of cigars and cigarettes and TV stars; provides a list of product slogans used on commercials.
The Art Of Manipulation
- Art mural deconstructs tobacco ads and identifies how tobacco use affects the lives of the artists and contributors.
- Tobacco ads, advertising, and its effect on publications that carry it.
The Nation - Selected Feature
- Science writer Philip Hilts, who has written about eighty stories on tobacco, twenty-five on the front page, was summarily removed from that beat three years ago after one particularly uncomplimentary story about Philip Morris.
The Search for the Smoking Gun
- Book review of Dr. David Kessler's "A Question of Intent" in The Atlantic Monthly; considers the interesting fact that Philip Morris considered buying The Atlantic Monthly in order "to influence the public policy agenda and the information flow to the populace".
Tobacco Access and Media
- Poster session from health conference examines smoking in movies, use of media to send anti-tobacco messages, and developing tobacco media campaigns using youth attitudes.
Tobacco Industry Analysis of Newsweek Article
- Interanl tobacco industry memo reveals the history and results of tobacco industry pressure on Newsweek to water down a tobacco story.
Weblog Special: Big Tobacco
- Collection of articles from the Guardian (UK) on the tobacco industry and smoking.
Youth Smoking and the Media
- A project to study how television, anti-smoking advertising, and newspaper coverage of tobacco issues affects youth smoking.
washingtonpost.com: Tobacco Report
- Washington Post's online library of tobacco stories. Includes breaking news, politics and policy, litigation, health issues, teen smoking, industry news, and opinion.
Smoke Screen: Philip Hilts Reveals abuses by Tobacco Companies
- Harvard Gazette article on reporting on the tobacco industry. (October 03, 1996)
Smoke, Mirrors, and Censorship
- Report on how and why ABC News pulling the plug on a hard-hitting documentary film about the tobacco industry. (October 30, 1995)
The Partnership: Hard Sell in the Drug War
- Article from The Nation discusses on the Partnership for a Drug-Free America discusses its tobacco connections such as Philip Morris funding and free ad space in media that take tobacco advertising. (March 09, 1992)
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 2013 Netscape
Visit our sister sites
Last update: Thursday, September 9, 2010 7:33:57 PM EDT -