become an editor
the entire directory
only in Tobacco/Media
Arts: Movies: Titles: I: Insider, The
Society: Issues: Health: Tobacco: Advocacy: Pro-Tobacco: Public Relations
Big Tobacco's Deadly Deceits
- Article in Midwest Today, June/July 1996. "Cigarette Makers Have Worked Hard to Get Smokers Hooked".
Censored: The Leaked ABC Tape
- In March 1994, ABC killed a "Turning Point" documentary on Big Tobacco. Includes the text and some of the video (as QuickTime clips) from the never-aired show.
- Tobacco ads, advertising, and its effect on publications that carry it.
External Influences on News
- Lecture outline for college class on media features tobacco examples of self-censorship by news organizations.
Fallout from the Tobacco War
- Column explores the impact of the Internet on public information on tobacco and the tobacco industry.
Frontline: Smoke in the Eye: Jeffrey Wigand
- Transcript of Frontline report on Wigand, the censored 60 Minutes show, the tobacco industry, and media.
Interview of Dr. Stanton Glantz
- Frontline interview; covers the Brown and Willaimson documents; the "settlement"; public health activities; the industry. "This is an industry whose whole thinking and behavior has been dominated by avoiding responsibility for its actions".
Media Firms Buy Their Way To Political Access
- Center for Public Integrity report on media political power covers the connections between the tobacco industry and media, such as $1.1 billion in cigarette advertising, and what it buys.
Philip Morris Complains About Ad Placement
- Presents and analyzes a letter that Philip Morris sent to newspapers to complain about where and how its ads ran.
The Search for the Smoking Gun
- Book review of Dr. David Kessler's "A Question of Intent" in The Atlantic Monthly; considers the interesting fact that Philip Morris considered buying The Atlantic Monthly in order "to influence the public policy agenda and the information flow to the populace".
- Chapter from a book on the Brown and Williamson papers documents some examples of tobacco industry influence on media.
Smoking News - Topix
- News on smoking collected from diverse sources on the web.
Tobacco Access and Media
- Poster session from health conference examines smoking in movies, use of media to send anti-tobacco messages, and developing tobacco media campaigns using youth attitudes.
Tobacco Industry Analysis of Newsweek Article
- Interanl tobacco industry memo reveals the history and results of tobacco industry pressure on Newsweek to water down a tobacco story.
TV ACRES: Tobacco Products Section
- Summarizes tobacco products hawked on TV, including having the stars smoke the sponsor's product on the show, as well as later history of cigars and cigarettes and TV stars; provides a list of product slogans used on commercials.
washingtonpost.com: Tobacco Report
- Washington Post's online library of tobacco stories. Includes breaking news, politics and policy, litigation, health issues, teen smoking, industry news, and opinion.
Smoke Screen: Philip Hilts Reveals abuses by Tobacco Companies
- Harvard Gazette article on reporting on the tobacco industry. (October 03, 1996)
The Partnership: Hard Sell in the Drug War
- Article from The Nation discusses on the Partnership for a Drug-Free America discusses its tobacco connections such as Philip Morris funding and free ad space in media that take tobacco advertising. (March 09, 1992)
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 1998-2016 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: February 21, 2016 at 7:45:12 UTC -