become an editor
the entire directory
only in Tobacco/Industry_Critiques
Events and Sponsorships
Business: Consumer Goods and Services: Tobacco
Society: Issues: Health: Tobacco: Smuggling
Society: Issues: Health: Tobacco: Tobacco Industry Documents
The Cigarette Papers
- Book on what the Brown and Williamson documents reveal about their cigarettes, smoking, and the tobacco industry. The book now available free, online.
Concentration of Power
- Section from report on the tobacco industry examines where power is concentrated in the tobacco industry.
Daily Doc: Philip Morris aggression
- Merrell Dow Pharmaceuticals started marketing Nicorette gum in the early 1980s. In response, Philip Morris ceased all of its humectant purchases from Dow, and let them know why.
Failed Promises of the Cigarette Industry and its Effect on Consumer Misperceptions about the Health Risks of Smoking
- Research reviews the public statements made by the tobacco industry and private statements inside the industry, assesses the extent to which cigarette companies fulfilled their 1954 promises, and evaluates the effect on consumer knowledge of the product.
A Frank Statement
- On January 4, 1954, in response to continuing scientific reports on the health effects of smoking, the tobacco industry published this ad in more than 400 newspapers. It was a seminal moment in the history of tobacco, and also of public relations.
Frontline: inside the tobacco deal
- Interview with Dr. David Kessler.
GASP of Colorado: Tobacco Industry and Front Groups
- Papers on Philip Morris's accommodation/pre-emption program; Philip Morris media plan for Colorado; RJR's field force; smoker's groups bankrolled by the tobacco industry.
Health Warning: Low Tar Cigarettes are a Deliberate Con
- From Action on Smoking and Health in the UK. Covers emissions, smoker compensation, differences between expectations and reality for low tar cigarettes, and what the industry knew and how it behaved.
Industry Activity around the World
- Interviews with advocates on industry activity in Canada, Hong Kong, Poland, and Thailand.
Joe Camel Campaign
- In the litigation Mangini v. R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Company Collection, R.J. Reynolds and its advertising agencies were ordered to produce several million pages of documents regarding the design and implementation of the Joe Camel Campaign. Some of the most important documents from that are now available here.
Lawyer Control of Internal Scientific Research and Products Liability Lawsuits: The Brown and Williamson Documents
- JAMA article on industry use of lawyers to control industry science.
Manipulation: The Story of Imperial Tobacco and its Cigarettes
- A history of Canadian tobacco giant Imperial Tobacco; incorporates information from recently released industry documents.
Monitoring and Countering Tobacco Industry Influence
- Seession from health conference addresses political and economic influence of the tobacco industry, its effects, and public health responses.
- January/February issue of the magazine focuses on the tobacco industry.
Public Health Under Attack: ASSIST and the Tobacco Industry
- Research paper reports on how the tobacco industry mobilized a well-coordinated attack on a national stop-smoking project.
Smoke in the Eye
- A 1996 investigation of the controversial "60 Minutes" profile on the tobacco industry. Synopsis, interviews, and links.
The Special Privileges of Tobacco
- Tobacco industry use of lawyers to hide research.
The Tobacco Industry in Asia: Revelations in the Corporate D ocuments
- Analysis of tobacco industry memos and internal documents reveals industry strategies to undermine tobacco prevention and push up cigarette sales in Cambodia, China, Hong Kong SAR, Indonesia, Japan, Malaysia, the Philippines, Singapore, and Thailand.
Tobacco Industry Witnesses on Whether Smoking Causes Lung Cancer
- Tobacco industry witnesses who argued against restrictions on secondhand smoke were asked if firsthand smoke, smoking cigarettes, causes lung cancer. These are their answers.
Tobacco's Dirty Tricks
- ANR information on tobacco industry strategies.
Trinkets and Trash
- Gallery of cigarette ads and tobacco industry promotional items: t-shirts, caps, radios, and a wide variety of other items designed by tobacco companies to sell cigarettes, spit tobacco, and cigars.
The Truth about Big Tobacco in Its Own Words
- Editorial in the British Medical Journal urges opening of the Guildford depository of tobacco industry documents and explains what we've learned already from industry documents.
Tobacco's Smokescreens Revealed
- Recent research identifies tobacco industry strategies to fight, delay, and water down health warnings, to prevent regulation of the tobacco industry, to circumvent advertising restrictions, and to give tobacco giant Philip Morris more lobbying power. (December 06, 2003)
More Dirty Linen For Big Tobacco
- Report on how the tobacco industry pressured other companies to scale back marketing of quit-smoking products. (August 14, 2002)
- What's the biggest tobacco stock you've never heard of? Try Wal-Mart. Forbes article explains. (August 21, 2000)
Big Tobacco Infiltrated UN Agencies
- World Health Organisation report says tobacco industry sabotaged WHO tobacco control efforts. (August 20, 2000)
Warning: Tobacco Shares Best Suited to Industry Loyalists
- Investment column. (May 04, 2000)
Big Tobacco Bounces Back
- "Philip Morris et al. are recasting themselves as kinder, gentler companies concerned about their communities. Meanwhile, they're strong-arming the TV networks to block counter-ads which might persuade you otherwise." (February 22, 2000)
Criminal Investigation Of The Tobacco Industry, Clifford E. Douglas
- Douglas is the President of Tobacco Control Law and Policy Consulting. Speech given to the Northeastern University School Of Law. (May 31, 1998)
1980 Philip Morris Memo Outlined Need to Conceal Nicotine Studies
- Washington Post article covers secret Philip Morris memo that acknowledged that nicotine was a drug and highlighted the company's need to downplay that fact. (April 17, 1998)
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 1998-2015 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: October 14, 2015 at 9:05:03 UTC -