become an editor
the entire directory
only in Mental_Health/Psychosurgery
Health: Alternative: Trepanation
Health: Conditions and Diseases: Neurological Disorders
Society: Issues: Health: Mental Health: Involuntary Commitment
Better To Have a Bottle In Front of Me Than a Frontal Lobotomy
- Bryn Mawr student's paper about lobotomies.
Father of the Lobotomy
- Review of a Washington Post article about Walter Freeman.
Psychosurgery - Massachusetts General Hospital
- Explores the historical background of psychosurgery and discusses the anatomic and physiologic basis for such procedures. Guidelines for the appropriate selection of surgical candidates is presented and the four most common psychosurgical procedures practiced today are described. Finally, the overall experience including indications, results and complications for each procedure is reviewed and compared.
Rotten.com - Lobotomy
- Story taking a very pessimistic view of lobotomies.
NPR : 'My Lobotomy': Howard Dully's Journey
- Over the past two years, Howard Dully, 56, has worked to discover the story behind the procedure he received as a 12-year-old boy: a transorbital or ice-pick lobotomy. He interviews the son of the infamous doctor who did the procedure, examines his medical records, and talks to his dad about it. [22:49 in length, available via streaming audio or as mp3 file). (November 16, 2005)
BBC - Radio 4 - Brain Surgery to Cure the Mind
- Brain surgery to treat people with psychiatric illness was virtually abandoned half a century ago, but recent progress in neuroscience is igniting renewed interest in this field. [28:55 streaming audio broadcast] (April 01, 2003)
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 1998-2015 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: November 30, 2014 at 10:45:04 UTC -