become an editor
the entire directory
only in Environment/Mining
Open Directory - Society: Issues: Environment: Mining
Science: Environment: Mining
Bringing Down the Mountains: The Impact of Mountaintop Removal Surface Coal Mining on Southern West Virginia Communities
- Study examines the environmental, social, economic, political and community impacts. Includes references. [pdf]
The Initiative for Responsible Mining Assurance (IRMA)
- Seeks to develop and establish a voluntary system to independently verify compliance with environmental, human rights and social standards for mining operations. Includes documents and updates.
Mines and Communities
- Empowering activists and communities opposed to mining through information on global mining trends, specific projects and mining industry attempts to subvert legitimate protest. Includes news.
Mining Law Reform: This is Hard Rock Mining
- Documentation of history and current events of 1872 mining law reform actions in U.S. Congress along with data on problems with mining and causes for delays in reform.
Mining the Mountains
- Archive of Charleston (West Virginia) Gazette articles on mountaintop removal, accompanied by text of US court rulings and a draft version of the never-published environmental impact statement on the practice.
Mountain Top Removal Coal Mining Impact Witnessed In Appalachian Kentucky « World Thinking
- Article shares remarks from people living in affected regions.
Oxfam Community Aid Abroad: The Mining Campaign
- Monitoring Australian mining companies' impact on the environment and vulnerable communities.
United Mountain Defense
- Information about mountaintop removal coal mining, its impacts, and how to fight it in Tennessee. Includes photos and notices about public events.
West Virginia Mountaintop Removal
- Information about mountain top mining and valley fill, and the environmental damage this practice is causing around the state and in Ohio, Pennsylvania, Kentucky, Virginia, and North Carolina.
Wikipedia: Mountaintop Removal Mining
- Discusses process, economics, legislation and criticism. Includes references.
Religion & Ethics News Weekly: Mountaintop Removal Mining
- Bob Abernethy interviews religious critics who say the price, in human terms, of mountaintop removal mining is too high. Includes the video report. (February 02, 2007)
Christian Science Monitor: In Coal Country, Heat Rises Over Latest Method of Mining
- Article discusses long-term effects of mountaintop removal mining. By Amanda Paulson. (January 03, 2006)
Orion Magazine: Moving Mountains
- Discusses the battle for justice that has come to the coal fields of Appalachia. By Eric Reese. (January 01, 2006)
Washington Post: Appalachia Is Paying Price for White House Rule Change
- Article discusses the environmental and human impacts being felt in Appalachia. Includes photographs. By Joby Warrick. (August 17, 2004)
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 2013 Netscape
Visit our sister sites
Last update: Tuesday, June 18, 2013 12:04:18 AM EDT -