become an editor
the entire directory
only in Light_Pollution/News_and_Media
News and Media
Science: Astronomy: News and Media
Science: Astronomy: Publications
Science: News and Media
Science: Publications: Journals
Science: Technology: Lighting: Magazines
Society: Issues: Environment: Energy: News and Media
BBC News - Street lights changing ecology on the ground
- Discusses research showing that the mix of invertebrate species living under streetlights is different from those living between streetlights.
Bringing back the night: the fight against light pollution
- Describes new initiatives seeking to reduce light pollution, the reasons for reduction, and lighting technologies and strategies.
Canadian Living - 8 ways to reduce light pollution
- Suggestions to reduce light pollution from your home and community.
Environmental Leader - Light Pollution’s Dark Realities
- Discusses environmental, energy, and economical issues related to light pollution.
Lights at Night Mean Trouble for Birds
- Discusses the ornithological effects.
The New York Times - French Lights to Be Dimmed to Save Energy
- French law restricts use of non-essential light at night
The New Yorker - The Dark Side
- Describes many aspects of light pollution, including ecology, human health, regulation, astronomy, and economics.
Reduced Energy Usage
- Explains why legislation is needed in Virginia.
Scientific American - City of Light: Insomniac Urban Animals
- Discusses how artificial light in urban areas disrupts animals circadean clocks, and the behavior consequences this can have.
Sky & Telescope - Dissecting Light Pollution
- An article which explains succinctly what the problem is.
The Why Files - Light at night: Mixed blessing!
- In depth article that describes many aspects of light at night.
The New York Times - Energy Crisis in Brazil Brings Dimmer Lights and Altered Lives
- Explains how an energy crisis has encouraged better lighting (Site requires free registration) (June 06, 2001)
Idaho Mountain Express - 'Dark skies' attitude rewarded
- Explains why Ketchum's darksky ordinance is important. (April 04, 2001)
CNN: Night-Light May Lead to Near-Sightedness
- Information about scientific evidence that exposure to nighttime lighting can cause near-sightedness. (May 12, 1999)
High Country News - January 18, 1999: Starry, starry night
- Explains how the New Mexico Historic Preservation Alliance think of the night sky as a cultural resource which helps tourism. (January 18, 1999)
News and Media
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 1998-2015 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: August 23, 2013 at 19:15:17 UTC -