become an editor
the entire directory
only in Environment/Light_Pollution
Chats and Forums
News and Media
Society: Issues: Environment: Energy
Society: Issues: Environment: Pollution
This category in other languages:
GLOBE at Night
- An international citizen scientist project to measure the degree of light pollution all around the world using the human eye. Contains star charts corresponding to different light pollution levels, and allows visitors to download a map of past observations in their area.
International Dark-Sky Association (IDA)
- A non-profit member organization that teaches others how to preserve the night sky through factsheets, law references, pictures, and web resources.
9th European Symposium for the Protection of the Night Sky
- Videos and abstracts of the scientific presentations from the symposium that took place in Armagh, Ireland in 2009.
Atlas of World Light Pollution
- A comprehensive atlas of satellite images and artificially created maps of different light pollution measurements covering the globe.
The Campaign for Dark Skies
- Information about light pollution by the anti light pollution campaign of the British Astronomical Association.
City of Santa Rosa Street Light Reduction Program
- Describes how the city is saving money and reducing carbon footprint by turning off unnecessary streetlights. Explains the criteria and techniques for lamp selection, and lists telephone contacts.
Conference on the Ecological Consequences of Artificial Night Lighting
- Comprehensive information about a conference on ecological effects which took place in February 2002 including abstracts and references on the topic.
Dark Skies for Northern Ireland
- Explains the problem in Northern Ireland with photographs; maps of its extent, and information on its effect on residents and crime. Includes a message board, help on installing friendlier lighting fixtures, links and correspondence on regulation with a local MP.
Dark Skies Northwest
- News, video, slide-shows and images. Includes outdoor lighting codes, mailing list subscriptions, member information and links to further regional information.
Dark Sky Finder
- An overlay of a light pollution map on the Google map of North America. Also lists hundreds of possible observing sites.
Dark Sky Meter
- A citizen science app for iPhone that allows users to measure the brightness of the night sky using the phone's camera.
Del Mar Fans and Lighting Education Center
- A commercial lighting site with a detailed primer on light pollution and best practices.
Edmonton Area Light Pollution Awareness and Abatement
- Explanatory information, links, news, photographs, a mailing list, FAQs and personal stories from this region of Canada.
EU COST Loss of the Night Network (LoNNe)
- An interdisciplinary network of European researchers studying artificial light at night.
Fatal Light Awareness Program (FLAP)
- Information on how light pollution affects birds, and what steps must be taken to save the lives of birds by reducing lighting.
The Fraser Valley Astronomers' Society
- A local astronomy site with comprehensive information about the local darksky park including directions; as well as videos on the problem, and information about its effects on health and astronomy.
Hawaiian Astronomical Society: Why You Can't See the Stars
- Features links and information on light pollution relevant to Hawaii.
Huachuca Astronomy Club (HAC)
- News and information on lighting ordinances in Southeast Arizona.
Illinois Coalition for Responsible Outdoor Lighting
- Illinois organization serving to promote responsible outdoor lighting. Includes a very large collection of light pollution links.
International Astronomical Union Working Group on Light Pollution
- Explains how the working group is helping to combat the problem at the moment and how anyone can help. Also includes various links and general information.
Irish Light Pollution Awareness Campaign
- Aimed at improving the quality of exterior lighting in Ireland and reducing light pollution.
IYA Lightmeter wiki
- Information about the International Year of Astronomy light meter in a wiki format.
Izera Dark-Sky Park
- Czech-Polish project for defeating darkness in the Izera Mountains. Features information about light pollution, darkness conservation, darkness of the Izera Mountains, events and press releases.
Light Pollution and the Palomar Observatory
- Discussion of light pollution from an astronomy perspective, with many links.
Light Pollution Fact Sheet
- A basic fact sheet on light pollution, with terms explained in layman's language. Provided by the Prairie Astronomy Club.
Light Pollution Literature
- Up to date bibliography of research on light pollution and animal responses to light. Includes links to many journal articles.
Light Pollution Monitoring Network powered by GADS (Italy)
- Provides data taken worldwide with Sky Quality Meters, and contains instructions for users that want to join the network.
Lighting in the Countryside: Towards Good Practice
- Comprehensive online UK Government publication outlining the government's policy on the issue. Also a good general introduction to the problem.
- Discusses effects of light pollution on the environment and contains articles and links to news items.
Loss of the Night App
- A citizen science app for Android devices that allows users to estimate the brightness of skyglow by observing which stars are visible.
Loss of the Night citizen science project
- A blog about the Loss of the Night app. Also occasionally features examples of good and bad lighting from around the world.
Michigan Darksky Association
- Explains the problem, and has pictures, news, local legislation and a message board specific to Michigan.
Midwest Citizens for Responsible Outdoor Lighting
- Information about lighting regulations in the Midwest USA, with many links including a very large bibliography of papers related to the biological impact of light at night.
Minnesota Astronomical Society: Light Pollution
- A light-pollution map of Minnesota, a news story about local light pollution and information about what can be done locally.
New England Light Pollution Advisory Group (NELPAG)
- Discusses light pollution in New England, and provides links. Includes information on how to subscribe to the NELPAG forum.
New Hampshire Citizens for Responsible Lighting (NHCRL)
- Includes local information relevant to New Hampshire and NHCRL newsletters. Minimal web content.
NOAA DMSP homepage
- Provides information about the Defense Meteorological Satellite Program, including yearly global light pollution measurement data which can be downloaded
North Carolina IDA (NCIDA)
- Includes images, information and local legislation relevant to North Carolina.
One Star at a Time
- Campaign to create public spaces for stargazing, even in cities.
Pennsylvania Outdoor Lighting Council (POLC)
- Comprehensive information on the latest lighting situation in Pennsylvania with pictures, links, and guidance on how anyone can help. Home of Pennsylvanians for an Outdoor Lighting Control Act (POLCA).
Rate Your Skyglow - Visual Observing
- A guide for comparing skyglow observations to the Atlas of Artificial Night Sky Brightness
Rose City Astronomers: Oregon Dark Skies
- Includes a information about the effects of light pollution and local darksky sites.
Royal Astronomical Society of Canada (RASC) Light Pollution Abatement Program (LPAP)
- Describes the program, and contains information about Canadian dark sky parks in both urban and pristine areas.
Santa Clara Valley Lighting & Lick Observatory
- Offers lighting suggestions for Santa Clara Valley to preserve the observing capabilities of Lick. Includes a primer on light pollution and astronomy.
Sensible and Efficient Lighting to Enhance the Night-time Environment (SELENE), New York
- SELENE is working to eliminate inappropriate lighting in New York. Extensive website with facts and information about helping to fight for better lighting legislation in the city.
Sky and Telescope - Saving Dark Skies
- Various articles about light pollution including one on the history of the problem, one on rating the darkness of your sky, one on how astronomers can do more to help reduce light pollution and one on good lighting fixtures.
Sky Quality Protection Technical Office of the Canaries
- Includes pictures and animations, and information on full-cut-off lighting, technical specifications, energy efficiency, and other forms of astronomical pollution, as well as the applicable laws in the Canary islands.
Skyglow across the Great Lakes
- Four Images of sky glow from both sides of Lake Michigan in the USA.
- Soltactics is a commercial site that sells a shuttered skylight. It is designed to close at night to eliminate the light pollution radiated upwards by traditional skylights.
- Organizers of the international "Starlight" conference series. Includes links to the conference materials and information about their initiative.
Sydney Outdoor Lighting Improvement Society [SOLIS]
- Includes a range of general information about how anyone can improve their outdoor lighting, as well as information on how the group is combating the problem in Sydney.
Texas Dark Sky Association
- Latest news on the abatement of light pollution in Texas and advice on what citizens can do.
Understanding, Assessing and Resolving Light-Pollution Problems on Sea Turtle Nesting Beaches
- Comprehensive report by the Florida Marine Research Institute into the effects on turtles with relevant lighting specifications to be implemented near nesting sites.
University Lowbrow Astronomers: Light Pollution Issues
- Information and links relevant to South-East Michigan, United States. Covers local regulation.
Verlust der Nacht
- An interdisciplinary research project in Germany that considers light pollution from technical, social, ecological, and health perspectives.
Virginia Outdoor Lighting Taskforce (VOLT)
- Promotes the use of safe and efficient outdoor lighting. Comprehensive website with everything there is to know on the problem in Virginia and the latest on VOLT's campaign for better lighting ordinances.
Usenet sci.astro -
Usenet sci.astro.amateur -
Usenet sci.engr.lighting -
" search on:
Copyright © 1998-2014 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: February 21, 2014 at 6:35:09 UTC -