become an editor
the entire directory
only in Education/Commercialism
News: Media Industry: Media Literacy
Society: Activism: In Daily Life: Schools
Society: Activism: Media: Culture Jamming: Pepsi Shirt on Coke Day
Society: Issues: Business: Advertising: Kids and Advertising
- Site has tools and suggestions to put an end to intrusive advertising. Includes information for parents, teachers, and kids.
Citizens' Campaign for Commercial-Free Schools
- Works to protect the right of Washington children and youth to a commercial-free education. Includes upcoming events, action alerts, newsletters, and how to get involved.
Commercialism in Education Research Unit
- CERU, directed by Professor Alex Molnar, conducts research, disseminates information, and helps facilitate dialogue between the education community, policy makers, and the public at large about commercial activities in schools.
FAIR - The Commercialization of Children's Public Television
- The 15-second announcements that bracket PBS kids' shows are growing increasingly commercial. These "enhanced underwriter acknowledgments" are public broadcasters' solution to funding problems in the wake of reduced government support. But are they legal? Many underwriter advertisements seem to contradict communications law, Federal Communications Commission (FCC) regulations and even PBS's own guidelines.
- Seeks to empower citizens with the resources they need to protect children from the popular culture.
Rethinkingschools.org - Teachers Beware: Corporate Science Invades our Schools
- Corporate-sponsored materials are being used more frequently in schools, often because it is free of charge. The author is concerned about the bias in such materials.
Branded for Life?
- Christian Science Monitor report on marketing efforts to develop brand loyalty with children. (April 01, 2002)
Public Education: Commercial Activities in Schools
- A US government report shows commercialism in public schools to be "widespread and on the rise." [PDF] (September 01, 2000)
Fighting the cola wars in schools
- Washington Post article looks at the implications of Coca Cola and Pepsi's efforts to sell soda in schools. (March 23, 1999)
PTAs and Commercialism in Schools
- Speech given by Charlotte Baecher of Consumers Union in February 1999 to approximately 150 PTA representatives in New York State. (February 01, 1999)
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 1998-2016 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: April 3, 2016 at 7:15:05 UTC -