become an editor
the entire directory
only in Prisons/Organizations
Crime and Justice
Books Not Bars
- Works to expose and end the over-incarceration of youth and build a "bottom-up" movement to transform the entire criminal justice system.
Canadian Coalition Against the Death Penalty
- Non-profit international human rights group. Educates on alternatives to the death penalty worldwide, with a special focus on the USA. Offers free webpages and penpal requests to death row inmates.
Canadian Families and Corrections Network
- The CFCN provides information and referral services to support families during and after incarceration. Contact information, links and resources.
Citizens United for Rehabilitation of Errants
- Membership organization for families and prisoners, with the goal of reforming the use of prison, and helping rehabilitate prisoners. Includes newsletter, campaign details, and contact details for chapters.
The Claremont Forum
- This non-profit organization sponsors diverse community services, such as The Prison Library Project, a Wellness by Design program, and educational and arts programming.
College and Community Fellowship
- Helps formerly incarcerated women to continue with college by providing mentoring, counseling, stipends, and tutoring. Based at the City University of New York. [Flash]
Colorado Criminal Justice Reform Coalition
- A coalition seeking alternatives to mass incarceration. Includes news and membership information.
- Critical Resistance is a national organization dedicated to opposing the expansion of the prison industrial complex.
- Non-profit , membership advocacy organization for prisoners and their families.
Families Against Mandatory Minimums
- National organization of citizens working to repeal federal and state mandatory sentencing laws that remove judicial discretion. News, photos, and background information.
Families to Amend California's Three-Strikes (FACTS)
- Working to amend the 3-Strikes law in California so it is only applicable to violent felonies. News, events calendar, links, and background information.
- A nonprofit US organization that works on behalf of federal prisoners. Includes newsletters and state chapters' contact details.
The Howard League for Penal Reform
- The Howard League works for humane and rational reform of the penal system. We research and comment on criminal justice policy and practice, holding conferences and debates, publishing books and reports. We also run projects in schools and prisons.
Human Rights Watch: Prison reports
- Information on prison conditions around the world, international human rights standards applicable to prisoners, and prison-related activities of the U.N. and other organizations.
Independent Custody Visiting Association
- A UK organisation for local community members who check on the welfare of people in police custody, by visiting police stations unannounced.
Inside These Walls
- Gives the perspective of an ex-offender who has seen the Illinois Department of Corrections policies.
International Centre for Prison Studies
- Assists governments and NGOs develop appropriate policies on prisons and the use of imprisonment. Based at Kings College in the UK. Publishes the World Prison Brief
Just Detention International
- Dedicated to combating the rape of male and female prisoners and providing such assistance as they can to survivors of jailhouse rape.
JUSTICE ACTION - Australia
- Information concerning New South Wales prisons and statistics, extensive criminal justice links and resources, JA issues and campaigns, Framed magazine and the International Conference on Penal Abolition and others.
Justice Policy Institute
- Washington, D.C.-based think-tank committed to reducing society's reliance on incarceration.
Koch Crime Institute
- A privately-funded research and policy organization which studies the criminal justice system and identifies the best ways to reduce and prevent crime, especially juvenile crime.
Kunstler Fund for Racial Justice
- The Fund supports the WMK Racial Justice Fellow at the Center for Constitutional Rights, celebrates our heroes at an annual awards evening, and makes grants to fierce and energetic projects to help guarantee the legacy of William Moses Kunstler. Contact information and details on the Vigil to Oppose the Rockefeller Drug Laws.
Middle Ground Prison Reform, Inc
- Arizona based non-profit advocacy organization. Includes campaign details and a review of recent legislation.
Murder Victims Families For Reconciliation
- MVFR opposes the death penalty and works to change the criminal justice system. MVFR works actively in the areas of Public Education, Policy Reform and Victim Support. Includes history, upcoming events, and membership information.
- The National Association for the Care and Resettlement of Offenders. Works with ex-offenders, disadvantaged people and deprived communities. Includes campaign news and events diary.
Native American Prisoners Pen Pal Network
- Dedicated to Native American prisoners.
The November Coalition
- The November Coalition is a non-profit, grassroots organization which is educating the public about the destructive increase in prison population in the United States due to our current drug laws.
Petition to Revive Federal Parole
- Online petition to revive Federal parole for US inmates.
Prison Action Committee Community Re-Entry Program
- Information about the Prison Action Committee's work in Illinois to help ex-offenders reintegrate into society.
Prison Activist Resource Center
- The source for progressive and radical information on prisons and the criminal prosecution system. Educational and activist resources, news, alerts and analysis.
Prison Book Program
- Sends free literature books to prisoners throughout the USA. Includes mission statement, history and program restrictions.
Prison Book Project
- A collective of volunteers distributing free books to U.S. prisoners. Northampton, MA based 501(c)3 non-profit.
Prison Inmates Online
- Offers prison pen pals, an email to snail mail service, and a directory of businesses who provide inmate services. Features mission statement, testimonials and inmate profiles with photos.
- Provides information on the activities of the CPT (European Committee for the Prevention of Torture).
Prison Policy Initiative
- Produces original research on incarceration policy and the hidden impact of society's reliance on prisons as a catch-all response to social problems.
Prisons Org UK Ltd
- Publishes The Prisons Handbook and maintains the Institute of Prison Law.
- Research on the prison industrial complex and crime control industry
The Real Cost of Prisons Project
- Explores the immediate and long-term costs of incarceration on the individual, their family, community and the nation. Includes discussion papers and details of workshops.
Restorative Justice Ministry Network of Texas
- A nation-wide directory of criminal justice ministries. Free listing to any criminal justice ministries. Web-sites for criminal justice ministries.
Restorative Justice Online
- A clearing house of information including research tools, bibliographies, training, tutorials and expert articles.
The Sentencing Project
- Information about crime, courts, sentencing, criminal justice policy analysis, punishment, alternatives to incarceration, jails, prisons, race, economic class, and reform. Technical assistance, training, publications available.
UNLOCK - National Association of Ex-Offenders
- Campaigns for better facilities for serving prisoners, and to support ex-offenders in rebuilding their lives. Includes campaign news.
Vegan Prisoners Support Group
- Offers advice and support to vegan inmates.
Women's Prison Association
- Committed to helping women with criminal justice histories see new possibilities for themselves and their families.
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 1998-2014 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: August 7, 2014 at 20:09:35 UTC -