become an editor
the entire directory
only in Allegedly_Unethical_Firms/Gator
Allegedly Unethical Firms
Documentation of Gator Advertisements and Targeting
- Research that uses reverse engineering techniques to learn more about how Gator targets sites. Includes a utility allowing users to determine this information for a given Web site.
Slashdot: A New Low for Web Advertisers: Pop-Up Downloads
- Report on Gator's pop-up downloads, followed by reader discussion of this and other tactics used by Gator.
ThiefWare.com: Gator Data Sheet
- Discusses Gator auto-install attempts via ActiveX or other techniques when a web site is visited.
Gator's EULA Gone Bad
- By Ben Edelman. Analysis and criticism of Claria's end user license agreement (EULA). (November 29, 2004)
Adage: Online Ad Vendor Gator Changes Name
- Rebranded as Claria Corp. (October 30, 2003)
news.com.com - Overture Signs Deal With Gator
- Article revealing that Overture Services has signed a three-year deal with Gator to display its sponsored search listings on pages that pop under those of rival and partner web sites. (April 04, 2003)
Traffick.com - Kicking the Gator Software Habit
- Article by Cory Kleinschmidt explains how Gator's TOS violates user privacy, and suggests practical alternatives to this password-remembering software. (May 12, 2002)
c|net Tech News: Web surfers brace for pop-up downloads
- Gator has turned to what it calls "one-click opt-install." In place of a pop-up advertisement, landing on a partner site pops up a prompt to download the software. (April 08, 2002)
USA Today: Spyware watches where you surf
- Discusses "freeloading programs" that install spyware components on a user's computer. Gator is among the programs examined. (March 10, 2002)
PCWorld: Consumer Alert: Stealth Ad Invasion
- Don't look now, but your computer may be harboring software that lets unwanted advertising in. (October 13, 2001)
c|net Tech News: Nobody's going to skin this Gator
- Interview with Gator CEO Jeff McFadden who defends their pop-up banners that intentionally cover existing ads on third party web sites. (September 04, 2001)
Forbes.com: Gator's Legal Feud Means Big Publicity
- Asserts that Gator's legal battle over its "guerilla warfare" marketing tactics is bringing it free publicity and advertising for its program. (August 29, 2001)
BizReport: Gator Chomps First, Sues Internet Advertising Bureau
- Article on Gator's lawsuit seeking a gag order on IAB representatives, and a ruling that their software is legal. (August 28, 2001)
c|net Tech News: Gator rushes to court over ad technology
- Lawsuit against the Interactive Advertising Bureau alleging libel is designed to secure Gator's right to sell ads on third party web sites. (August 28, 2001)
c|net Tech News: Chorus of Gator critics grows
- Article on Interactive Advertising Bureau's possible regulatory complaint over Gator's ad insertion. Also discusses Top Text and the effort against it. (August 27, 2001)
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 1998-2015 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: April 30, 2014 at 6:45:07 UTC -