become an editor
the entire directory
only in Allegedly_Unethical_Firms/Ezula
Allegedly Unethical Firms
Ethics in Advertising
- Editorial asking "How far should advertising go?" Examines eZula's browser plug in as a specific example of unethical advertising.
- Information to help users and webmasters identify when Top Text is installed.
geek/talk Forums at GeekVillage
- Discussion about the eZula TopText defacement in the context of copyright violation.
- Petition protesting insertion of advertising links on web pages.
Search Engine Watch: Forget Smart Tags; TopText Is Doing What You Feared
- Editorial decrying stealth download tactics, copyright and other legal violations.
- Information and resources primarily for webmasters who wish to fight unethical contextual advertising.
TrafficG Yellow and Green Link Killer
- Provides script to disable Top Text and Surf+. Documents source code alterations made by these programs.
WebHostingTalk Forums: KaZaa is Hijacking Traffic!
- Webmasters and surfers, mostly disapproving of the embedded advertising links.
You got the yellow linking Virus?
- Gives information on how to remove/unistall TopText, and links to other more detailed resources.
c|net Tech News: Chorus of Gator critics grows
- Article on Interactive Advertising Bureau's possible regulatory complaint over Gator's ad insertion. Also discusses Top Text and the effort against it. (August 27, 2001)
San Diego Daily Transcript: 'Poachware' Routes Computer Users To Alternate Web Sites
- Article about anti-competitive involuntary hyperlinks being placed by Top Text (aka ContextPro). (August 27, 2001)
Associate Programs Newsletter: How to stop Scumware from defacing your website
- Explains how Top Text and similar programs can negatively affect income streams, particularly for sites that use affiliate programs. (August 23, 2001)
Applelinks: Another New Technology to Deep-Six
- Editorial suggesting "loud, pointed, organized protests" against this attempt to "take over your web pages." (August 03, 2001)
PCWorld: Latest Online Ad Gimmick: Hyperlinks
- "Advertisers try aggressive (and annoying) hyperlink technology to make the Web pay." (August 03, 2001)
COTSE: You may have heard of Microsoft Smart Tags, but have you seen Ezula and Surf+?
- A webmaster's editorial accusing TopText and Intelsoft International's Surf+ of theft, false advertising, and deceptive self-promotion. (August 02, 2001)
c|net Tech News: Peer-to-peer exchanges court advertisers
- Article describing the financial arrangements, briefly mentioning the controversy. (August 02, 2001)
Slashdot: Don't Eat the Yellow Links
- Web owners upset by changed content; describes an "opt-out" procedure. (July 31, 2001)
Mystery links: New Web advertising tool gets results, draws criticism
- San Francisco Chronicle: mentions concerns about the ethics of covert advertising, and commercial firms outraged by links to competitors' sites. (July 30, 2001)
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 1998-2015 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: March 8, 2013 at 13:20:40 UTC -