become an editor
the entire directory
only in By_Topic/Science
Engineering and Technology
Historians of Science
Recreation: Antiques: Medical and Scientific
Reference: Museums: Science
Science: Social Sciences: Economics: Economic History
Society: History: Organizations
Society: Philanthropy: Grants: Grant-Making Foundations: Nobel Foundation
Society: Philosophy: History of Philosophy
This category in other languages:
A Science and Technology Odyssey
- Timeline of the history of science and technology from 20,000 BC to 1800.
4000 Years of Women in Science
- Women's contributions to Science, from Antiquity to the Nineteenth Century.
The Alchemy Web Site
- Comprehensive library of imagery, symbols, music, alchemical texts and commentary. Includes course material in practical alchemy, bibliography, and modern day resources.
Ancient Greece: Science and Technology
- Discusses early inventions, such as calculating devices, machines using gears, steam engines, war technology, and town planning. Some mathematicians included are Thales, Pythagoras, Euclid, Archimedes, and Appolonius. Some topical concepts covered are astronomical discoveries, prime numbers, evolution of the species, and measuring the circumference of the earth.
Ancient Greek Science
- Learn about the scientists of ancient Greece, what they have contributed to science, and information about their background.
Australian Science Archives Project - ASAPWeb
- Aims to improve access to Australia's scientific, technological and medical heritage by helping to preserve records and artifacts and communicating the existence of this heritage to a wide audience. Includes scientist biographies.
Birr Castle Demesne
- A science museum in Ireland devoted to the astronomical, engineering botantical and photographical work of the Parsons family.
Britain and the Rise of Science
- Lisa Jardine investigates the origins of the commitment to science as the firm basis for Britain's success in commerce and industry. From the BBC.
Calendars Through the Ages
- History and FAQs of various calendars, including Julian, Gregorian, Jewish, Islamic, Chinese, and Mayan. Astronomy, years, months, and days of the week.
Commentary on the Effects of Electricity on Muscular Motion
- Facsimile of Galvani's original and an English translation.
Darwin-L Archives on the Historical Sciences
- Archives of messages and supporting materials from this professional discussion group on the history and theory of the historical sciences.
Daylight Saving Time
- History from Benjamin Franklin to the present. U.S. law and practice. Worldwide time change dates.
Echo Science and Technology Virtual Center
- Annotated catalogue of history of science, technology, and medicine resources.
Epact: Scientific Instruments of Medieval and Renaissance Europe
- Online database of medieval and Renaissance scientific instruments made before 1600 A.D. held at four European museums.
Events in Science, Mathematics and Technology
- Neil Brandt's timeline covers historic highlights from classical mechanics, electromagnetism, quantum mechanics, astronomy, cosmology, mathematics, and technology. [PDF]
The Evolution of the Conservation Movement, 1850-1920
- Documents the historical formation and cultural foundations of the movement to conserve and protect America's natural heritage.
Faith and Reason.
- On the historical interactions of science and religion. (From PBS.)
Green Lion Press
- Independent book publisher specializing in history of mathematics and history of science. Includes information on ordering, books available, and how to contact them.
- History of Childhood and Youth
The History and Philosophy of Science, Technology and Medicine
- Long list of internet resources in the field of the history of science.
History of Evolutionary Thought
- A timeline with information on major contributors to biology, geology, and paleontology from Aristotle up to the 20th century. From the UC Berkeley Museum of Paleontology.
History of Russian Science
- Virtual guide which includes article archives, bibliography, journals, institutiona and news.
History of Science
- Book reviews from The Bactra Review.
A History of the Warfare of Science with Theology in Christendom
- Complete text of the 1896 classic by Andrew Dickson White.
In Our Time: Science Archive
- BBC Radio 4 series in which Sir Melvyn Bragg discusses a topic in the history of ideas with a trio of experts. This page indexes the discussions on science, both historical and contemporary, for online listening.
Institute and Museum of History of Science - Florence, Italy
- The museum and web site are particularly rich resources for the life and work of Galileo.
International Commission on History of Meteorology
- Information about the commission and about meetings discussion the history of meteorology.
International Society for the History of Philosophy of Science - HOPOS
- Promote serious, scholarly research on the history of the philosophy of science. Includes news and events.
International Union of History and Philosophy of Science - Division of History of Science and Technology
- Information on the organization, together with a links page and listings of upcoming conferences.
Internet History of Science Sourcebook
- Links to documents and Web resources pertaining to the history of science including original texts from great scientific thinkers.
Internet Modern History Sourcebook: Scientific Revolution
- Primary sourcebook intended to serve the needs of teachers and students in college survey courses in modern European history and American history.
Islamic Alchemy in the Context of Islamic Science
- Focus on chemistry, botany and medicine with overviews in other areas.
Museum of Microscopy
- Virtual museum of microscopes, ranging from the earliest 16th century European instruments to modern microscopes from around the world.
Museum of the History of Science, University of Oxford
- Library catalog, image library, and numerous virtual exhibits available online.
Muslim Scientists, Mathematicians and Astronomers Before European Renaissance, 700-1500 C.E.
- Historical review of the Muslim contribution to humanity and Islamic Civilization. Gives biographies of scientists and describes their contributions and influence on European thought and discoveries.
- Biographies and Nobel Lectures of the prizewinners, from the Nobel Foundation.
Office of NIH History
- Foster documentation, preservation, and interpretation of the history of the National Institutes of Health. Features online exhibits, education, and historical resources.
Reviews of History of Science books
- Reviews, by Danny Yee, of a range of books on the history of science, mostly popular titles.
Science and Engineering Indicators 2004
- Report by the National Science Board and National Science Foundation on U.S. science and technology, including education and research and development, from World War II to the end of the 20th century. [PDF]
Science and You
- Several articles, mostly on history and philosophy of science, aimed at a lay audience.
A Science Odyssey
- Presents the people and the discoveries of 20th century science and technology in a variety of accessible, and interactive Web features. Based on the PBS television series.
- A chronology from the 7th millennium BC to the present day, with brief explanations of events in the history of western natural philosophy and sciences.
Some Early Microscopes from the Optical Institute in Wetzlar
- Carl Kellner founded what was named the Optical Institute in Wetzlar Germany in 1849. By 1851 he employed twelve workmen and was producing his first microscopes.
Today in Science History
- Memorializes births and deaths of famous and not so famous scientists of the past, and other events in science history. Searchable.
- Science in the 19th century. Overview plus much specific information on themes, disciplines, and individuals.
Who Invented the Thermometer?
- Timeline showing the development of the thermometer from Galileo to Kelvin.
Usenet soc.history.science -
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 1998-2014 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: April 9, 2014 at 11:24:12 UTC -