become an editor
the entire directory
only in Maritime/Ships
Science: Social Sciences: Archaeology: Topics: Underwater: Shipwrecks
1492: An Ongoing Voyage
- This Library of Congress exhibition examines the first sustained contacts between American people and European explorers, conquerors and settlers from 1492 to 1600.
A. C. de Freitas & Co.
- History of the de Freitas trading and shipping company in Hamburg.
Ancient Egyptian ships and boats
- The development of Egyptian vessels in pharaonic times
- An overview of the use of ships in ancient cultures. Most of the illustrations and iconography are from ancient artifacts and made by artisans of the time.
Axel's History of Ships
- Presentations of ships and vessels from the Stone Age to the present day. Site in Swedish and English with drawings of a large number of vessels.
- Famous tea clipper now moored at Greenwich, England. Features information on opening times, restoration, and history.
- Detail description of a sailing yacht designed by Nathanael Green Herreshoff (1905) by the Herreshoff Manufacturing Company of Bristol, Rhode Island.
Duivendijk Shipping Pages
- Photographs of commercial ships, tugs, fishing vessels, and warships from all over the world.
Dunbrody & The Spirit of Ireland
- The reconstruction of a three masted barque.
- Information on the efforts to relocate and restore the Edwin Fox, an 1853 Eastindiaman Immigrant and convict ship.
Enterprize: Melbourne's Tall Ship
- Presents the organization, history, gallery, captain's logs, and ship's store.
Fishing Boat Photographs
- Catalogue of fishing boat photographs.
Floating Dry Dock
- Photos, drawings, plans and model kits of US warships past and present. Order products online.
Friends of HMS Vengeance
- Campaign to save the last British-built WW2 aircraft carrier from scrapping
General Botha S African Training Ship - Old Boys Association
- Contact details with history, previous cadets, staff and photo-gallery of the South African Naval College.
Great Lakes History Homepage
- Great Lakes maritime history, with an emphasis in shipwrecks. Includes a database of over 4,400 Great Lakes shipwrecks.
Great White Fleet Organization
- Information about the United States Atlantic Battle Fleet, nicknamed the Great White Fleet, which in 1907 embarked on a journey to circumnavigate the globe.
- A history the ship and its sinking. A tribute to the survivors and voice of the Dorsetshire Association.
History and Memories of the USNS Barrett
- History, memories, stories and pictures this ship compiled by a former crewman.
- Europe's last big gun armoured warship of World War II.
The HMS Cavalier Association
- A site dedicated to the preservation of the ship HMS Cavalier.
HMS Daedalus Lee on Solent Virtual Heritage Area
- Site dedicated to the Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm Headquarters of WW2.
Internet Naval History
- Internet Naval History including World War's 1 and 2, and the Falklands.
- Details of the construction in Scotland of a steam yacht for the Russian Tsar.
The Loss of the Fantome
- A description of the events surrounding the loss of the sailing vessel, Fantome, during Hurricane Mitch,in October 1998.
Maritima & Mechanika
- A model engineer's collection of antique small machine tools, information on model ships and maritime history, and small machine tools for sale.
A Maritime Anthology
- An eclectic collection of various ocean liners and sundry historic vessels from the remotest of nations.
Maritime History Course
- Two week maritime history course taught at sea aboard the Tall Ship Rose, a coast guard certified replica of an 18th century Royal Navy Frigate.
- A brief description of the mysterious events surrounding the sailing ship, "Mary Celeste" and links to related sites for further investigation.
Matthew Site Home Page
- A reconstruction of John Cabot's famous ship and its journey to Newfoundland 500 years ago. Visit Matthew Online. Includes as shop, a gallery, history and information.
Modern Ship Sizes - The Tiny Titanic
- Compares ship sizes beginning with the Titanic to other ocean liners, some warships, and the giant tankers up to the largest ships afloat today.
- Puget Sound ferry launched in 1935. Designed and built in the art deco "streamlined" style. An organization rescued the vessel which was being used as a cannery in Kodiak, Alaska.
The Nancy Blackett Trust
- Educational charity preserving the historic yacht Nancy Blackett, once owned by the famous author Arthur Ransome.
North River Historic Ship Society
- Information on this group dedicated to the protection, preservation and promotion of historic vessels in New York harbor. Includes ship histories and pictures.
- Devoted to the memory of the german four-masted barque Pamir and her seamen. English, french and german versions.
Portsmouth Historic Dockyard
- Home of three historic British warships: Henry VII's doomed flagship Mary Rose, Nelson's flagship HMS Victory, and the world's first iron battleship, HMS Warrior. Site also provides additional information about the Royal Naval Museum and Action Stations.
Raising the Belle
- La Salle's last ship was found in 1995 in Matagorda Bay.
- The New Zealand Steam Ship Co vessel Remuera, 1911-1940.
Royal War Ship Wasa
- Picture galleries of one of Sweden's most beautiful 17th century ships. (1629)
- This 17,300 ton polar icebreaker is operated by the Alfred Wegener Institute, Germany's leading institute for polar and marine research.
- The history of the Australis; including a picture gallery, Captain and crew section and the story of Chandris lines.
S.S. City of Milwaukee
- Last traditional Great Lakes railroad car ferry permanently moored as a museum in Manistee, Michigan. Official site of the Society for the Preservation of the S.S. City of Milwaukee.
Sound of Jura
- Provides historical information about the boat and the South African company that owned it from 1911 to 1919.
SS Canberra - The Crow's Nest
- The retired P and O liner SS Canberra, and her home port of Southampton.
- Seeking to ensure the future security of the "Great White Steamer."
SS Central America
- Documentary based on letters from passengers on the final voyage of the doomed gold liner (1857). Captain William Lewis Herndon. Survivor accounts. Ship lost to hurricane. Shipwreck recovery of gold.
SS Golden Gate
- An account of the sinking of the SS Golden Gate off Manzanillo, Mexico on 27 July 1862, including a list of 338 passengers who were among the dead or the survivors.
SS Great Britain
- The complete website for the history and restoration of the SS Great Britain held at Bristol Dock in England, updated regularly with progress reports on the restoration project.
SS Milwaukee Clipper
- A 1905 ferry which travelled the Wisconsin - Michigan route
Star of the West
- The side-wheel merchant steamer running between New York and New Orleans.
- An up-todate research on the Steamboat Rowena of the Cumberland River, Kentucky, U.S.A. early 1900's complete with pictures. Safe for Kids, Educational.
Steve's SS Australis Travel Page
- Celebrating the life and times aboard the Chandris Lines flagship SS Australis (formerly SS America) from 1966 to 1976.
T2 Tanker Page
- T2 Tanker names, builders, and types.
Tall Ship La France
- When construction is finished, this ship will be the largest of the worlds operating tall ships. A replica of a 1911 five-masted barque. Plans are to use the ship as a sail training ship and goodwill ambassador.
Tall Ship Picton Castle
- 180 foot three-masted barque. Homeport is Lunenburg, Nova Scotia. Member American Sail Training Association.
- Circumnavigating the globe in a small sailing vessel.
- Dedicated to the history of the French three master barque Belem (1896).
USS Arizona BB-39
- History, technical pages, galleries, and resources.
USS Electra (AKA-4)
- History, photos, memorabilia, and database of crew members for service in World War II and the Korean conflict.
USS Pennsylvania BB-38
- Log book and awards.
- Comprehensive information on the deadliest ship disaster in history and surrounding events, and includes galleries, stories, and resources.
Usenet sci.military.naval -
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 1998-2014 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: November 1, 2014 at 12:23:35 UTC -