become an editor
the entire directory
only in World_War_II/Atomic
By Time Period
Wars and Conflicts
World War II
Hiroshima and Nagasaki
Society: History: By Time Period: Twentieth Century: Atomic Age
Society: Issues: Warfare and Conflict: Weapons: Nuclear
Society: Military: Aviation: Aircraft: Bombers: B-29 Superfortress
This category in other languages:
A-Bomb - The Destroyer of Worlds
- Includes Trinity today, timeline, history, the theory, reasoning, considerations, and the aftermath.
- A brief historical article on the bomb, includes links to articles on related material, definitions, and quotations from primary sources.
- A large collection of links to information relating to the atomic bombing.
The Decision to Use the Atomic Bomb
- A well-referenced study of the American decision to use the atomic bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki by Louis Morton.
Fifty Years from Trinity
- Articles from the Seattle Times to mark the fiftieth anniversary of the first nuclear test.
Harnessing of Nuclear Fission - The Story of the Atomic Bomb
- Brief article on the atomic scientists and their experiments from 1934-1945.
Hiroshima: Was It Absolutely Necessary?
- An account that summarizes the events that led to Japan's surrender, and considers other means of achieving surrender by Doug Long.
Hiroshima: Was it Necessary?
- Article and quotes which explore the premise that the a-bombings were probably not necessary to conclude the war, and includes diary excerpts from Truman and Stimson, bibliography, biographies of major figures, and links.
National Security Archive
- Collection of primary source material relating to the use of the atomic bomb in PDF format available from George Washington University.
Nuclear Weapons - History
- Large, comprehensive collection of online documents relating to the bombing and the issues surrounding it.
Official Bombing Order
- Authorized the use of the atomic bomb against Japanese cities, drafted by General Groves and approved by President Truman and Secretary of War Stimson at Potsdam on July 25, 1945.
Swords and Ploughshares
- Collection of articles relating to the use of the atomic bomb on Japan, Volume IX / Number 3 & 4 / Spring-Summer 1995.
- Full text and photos of a brochure issued by the U.S. Department of Energy, National Atomic Museum in Albuquerque, New Mexico, January 1994.
Truman’s Motivations: Using the Atomic Bomb in the Second World War
- Research paper examining the motivations for using the atomic bomb against Japan.
United States Strategic Bombing Survey: Summary Report (Pacific War)
- Original text of the report on the conduct of the bombing campaign against Japan outlining the factors which influenced decisions in planning, and describes the effects of the atomic bombing in the context of the overall bombing campaign.
When the Earth Caught Fire
- This examination of popular news media in the months after the atomic bombing of Japan demonstrates the highly contradictory emotions of American scientists, politicians, and the public toward atomic armaments.
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 1998-2014 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: August 21, 2014 at 5:26:13 UTC -