become an editor
the entire directory
only in United_States/McCarthyism
By Time Period
Open Directory - Society: History: By Time Period: Twentieth Century: Cold War: Regional: United States: McCarthyism
Rosenberg, Julius and Ethel
Society: History: By Region: North America: United States: Presidents: Nixon, Richard Milhous
Society: History: By Region: North America: United States: Presidents: Truman, Harry S
"A Damaging Impression of Hollywood Has Spread"
- Movie "Czar" Eric Johnston testifies before HUAC.
- Contemporary assessment by Collier's magazine of the Army-McCarthy hearings.
"Enemies from Within"
- Senator Joseph R. McCarthy and President Harry S. Truman trade accusations of disloyalty.
"Have You No Sense of Decency": The Army-McCarthy Hearings
- Transcript of the session that led to Senator McCarthy's downfall.
"I Cannot and Will Not Cut My Conscience to Fit This Year's Fashions"
- Text of Lillian Hellman' s letter to the House Un-American Activities Committee refusing to name names.
"I Have Sung in Hobo Jungles, and I Have Sung for the Rockefellers"
- Testimony of Pete Seeger to HUAC.
- Text of a statement by Margaret Chase Smith and six Republican Senators against Joseph McCarthy's attack on "individual freedom".
"Not Only Ridiculous, but Dangerous"
- Collier's objects to Joseph McCarthy's attacks on the press.
"The World Was at Stake": Three "Friendly" HUAC Hollywood Witnesses Assess Pro-Soviet Wartime Films
- Jack Warner, Ayn Rand and Louis B. Mayer testify before the House UnAmerican Activities Committee.
"They Want to Muzzle Public Opinion":
- Testimony of John Howard Lawson before the House Un-American Activities Committee.
"We Must Keep the Labor Unions Clean"
- Ronald Reagan and Walt Disney testify before the House UnAmerican Activities Committee blaming Hollywood labor conflicts on Communist Infiltration.
"You Are the Un-Americans, and You Ought to be Ashamed of Yourselves"
- Testimony of Paul Robeson before the House Un-American Activities Committee.
Ayn Rand's HUAC Testimony
- Libertarian author cooperates with Congressional investigation of Communist propaganda in American films. Includes introduction, background, and notes.
Communists Are Second to None in Our Devotion to Our People and to Our Country
- Prosecution and defense statements from the 1949 trial of American Communist Party leaders.
HistoryCentral.com: McCarran Internal Security Act
- Text of a law intended "[t]o protect the United States against certain Un American and subversive activities by requiring registration of Communist organizations."
- Article by Dan Georgakas from the Encyclopedia of the American Left documenting the persecution of suspected Communists in the entertainment industry.
The Hollywood Ten
- Short biographies of the individuals who refused to testify in HUAC's hearings, thereby earning a place on the blacklist.
HUAC and Censorship Changes
- Article documenting HUAC's role in the blacklisting of suspected Communists in Hollywood and its attempts to influence the content of films produced in the late 1940s and 1950s.
HUAC, McCarthy, and the Reds - McCarthyism and the Blacklist
- A brief, illustrated timeline of Joe McCarthy's life and the House Un-American Activities Committee.
The Joseph McCarthy Fan Club
- Mocks the late anti-Communist. Includes an online discussion group.
McCarthyism and the Movies
- A listing and description by theme, biographical and documentary with a forum.
McCarthyism: Forty Questions and Answers about Senator Joseph McCarthy
- An article originally published in The New American by James J. Drummey on May 11, 1987.
Online NewsHour: Hollywood Blacklisting
- Excerpts from the PBS documentary "The Legacy of the Hollywood Blacklist."
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 1998-2014 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: August 20, 2011 at 17:26:20 UTC -