become an editor
the entire directory
only in Twentieth_Century/Atomic_Age
By Time Period
Open Directory - Society: History: By Time Period: Twentieth Century: Atomic Age
Cuban Missile Crisis
Three Mile Island Incident
Science: Physics: History
Science: Physics: Nuclear
Science: Technology: Energy: Nuclear
Society: History: By Time Period: Twentieth Century: Cold War
Society: History: By Topic: Science: Engineering and Technology
Society: Issues: Environment: Nuclear
Society: Issues: Environment: Nuclear: Activism
Society: Issues: Warfare and Conflict: Weapons: Nuclear
Accelerating Cleanup: Paths to Closure
- Outlines the Energy Department's work to clean up contamination at DOE legacy sites.
Aircraft Nuclear Propulsion - Introduction
- Covers the US failed project to produce atomic powered aircraft. A detailed look at the technology involved as well as materials relating to the reasons the program failed.
Alsos Digital Library for Nuclear Issues
- Wide range of vetted, indexed, annotated references for the study of nuclear issues. Collection is searchable and includes books, articles, films, CD-ROMs, and websites.
The American Experience | Race for the Super Bomb
- Material from the documentary on the US/Soviet race to develop the hydrogen bomb. Includes a timeline, photographs, the people who were involved, maps, film clips of nuclear tests and a teachers guide.
Andrei Sakharov: Soviet Physics, Nuclear Weapons and Human Rights
- A biography of Andrei Sakharov and his contributions to Soviet nuclear weapons research, nuclear fusion, cosmology, human rights, and world peace. Includes a bibliography and links to related sites.
- A collection of speeches, articles, and full text documents on nuclear safety, legislation, and treaties. Map of nuclear hazards in the US, links section and NucNews, a collection of news clippings, archive available.
Archive of Nuclear Data
- Reports, tables, and statistics on nuclear stockpiles, strategic nuclear forces, and nuclear test programs of the United States, Russia, France, China, and Great Britain.
Atlas Missile Silo
- Read about the first generation ICBM missile Silos put into service by the United States Air Force during the early 1960's.
The Atomic Age: A Brief Overview
- An overview of the Manhattan Project, the use of the bomb, the development of the Cold War and the physics of nuclear weapons. Includes photographs and a bibliography.
- Timeline of nuclear weapon development, biographies of atomic scientists, accounts of nuclear tests, arms-control treaties, full text original documents, an image and video gallery, a glossary and teachers guide.
Atomic Bomb - Decision
- Documents on the decision to use the atomic bomb.
Atomic Heritage Foundation
- A non-profit dedicated to preservation and interpretation of the Manhattan Project and Atomic Age. Information about historic properties, museum exhibits, publications, and documentary films.
- Information on Bikini Atoll in the Marshall Islands, the site of many American nuclear tests in the 1940s and 1950s. Includes a history of the islands and the nuclear tests as well as information on efforts to clean up radioactive contamination and US reparations.
Bobby and the A-Bomb Factory
- Provides a free version of Bob Myers' childhood memoir about growing up in the 1950s in the shadow of the Hanford A-Bomb plant.
The Bomb for My Pillow--A Child of the Atomic Age
- A young African-American man's reminiscence of growing up in the shadow of nuclear annihilation during the 1950's. Educators may copy it freely.
The Bureau of Atomic Tourism
- The Bureau of Atomic Tourism promotes tourist locations that have either been the site of atomic explosions, display exhibits on the development of atomic devices, or contain atomic weapons delivery systems. Includes links to related materials.
Canada's Role in the Atomic Bomb Programs of the US, UK, France & India
- A chronology of Canada's contributions to the nuclear weapon programs of several countries. Includes material on the production of plutonium at Chalk River and the accident there, the development and export of CANDU reactors, a picture gallery and other material.
- A biography of Stalin's director of the Soviet project to build the atomic bomb. Details his efforts as head of the project to develop first the atomic bomb and then the hydrogen bomb. Includes documents and links.
Citizens Nuclear Information Center
- Provides updates on the nuclear industry in Japan, follows events in depth that affect the public and publishes informational literature on nuclear topics. English version of a Japanese site.
Conelrad: All Things Atomic
- Atomic culture past and present. A clearinghouse of atomic links, articles, photos, and memorabilia of the atomic age.
Documents Related to the Cold War
- Full text original documents relating to the Cold War period. Covers the years from 1945 to 1986. A very wide range of material dealing with many points of view. Also has a retrospective section looking back on the era.
Documents Relating to the Development of the Atomic Bomb and Its use on Hiroshima and Nagasaki
- A large collection of original documents relating to the decision to develop and use the atomic bomb. Historic reports from the Manhattan Project, and correspondence, memos, diary entries and reports from a variety of major decision makers of the period.
Frontline: Russian Roulette
- Discusses missing nuclear materials from the former Soviet Union, suitcase bombs, interviews, readings, the future of nuclear weapons and the Russian nuclear complex.
Harry K. Daghlian, Jr. - America's First Peacetime Atom Bomb Fatality
- Daghlian worked for the Manhattan Project. The site tells his story and serves as a memorial.
Health Physics - Historical Instrumentation Collection
- To chronicle the scientific and commercial history of radioactivity and radiation.
History of Nuclear Power Plant Safety
- A time line covering the period from the 1940s to the present day and detailing the development of safety features, practices and systems in nuclear power plants. Includes bibliographic references.
History of Oak Ridge National Laboratory
- Historic photographs, full text of a detailed history of the site and the part it played during and after WWII, a timeline, the directors and contractors through the years and fact sheets.
In the Matter of J. Robert Oppenheimer
- By the Avalon Project of the Yale Law School, has original documents from the findings and recommendation of the Personnel Security Board in the case of Dr. Oppenheimer. Includes letters, and the opinion written by the Atomic Energy Commission.
India-Pakistan Nuclear Central
- Reference materials, current issues, editorials and data on the nuclear programs of India and Pakistan. Has maps, links to media sites, links to sites from both countries, and a collection of Nuclear Control Institute documents on the issues involved.
Lawrence and His Laboratory
- Scientific history of the Ernest Orlando Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory's first 50 years (1931-1981).
Leo Szilard Online
- Leo Szilard (1898-1964) participated in the American Manhattan Project but afterwards became a leading critic of the Cold War nuclear arms race. Includes biographical information, documents, photos, audio, links.
Living in an Atomic Age
- Experiences and references about life during the Atomic Age in Nebraska, the beginning of Strategic Air Command, civil defense and other topics with links.
Living Under a Mushroom Cloud: Fear and Hope in the Atomic Age
- Virtual version of a museum exhibit. Addresses the ambivalence of the public toward atomic power and weapons in the period between 1945 and 1965. Articles, photographs.
Los Alamos Nuclear Laboratory - Research Library: History
- A collection of links from the Los Alamos Nuclear Laboratory on its role in the history of American nuclear weapons development.
- Information, atomic timeline, how fusion works, how fission works, survey, forums, test, and explanation of the atom.
The Manhattan Project Historical Documents
- Principal documents include: The Quebec Agreement, The Roosevelt-Churchill Tube Alloys Deal, Interim Committee's Report, Report of the Committee on Political and Social Problems (The Franck Report), and Atomic Energy for Military Purposes (The Smyth Report).
The National Museum of Nuclear Science & History
- A museum covering the historical development of atomic energy and armaments. Includes virtual tours of Manhattan Project, nuclear arms, delivery systems, nuclear non-proliferation, and non-military applications of nuclear technology.
Natural Resources Defense Council - The Internet and the Bomb
- A research guide to policy and information about nuclear weapons.
Nevada Site Office - Historical Publications
- An abundance of historical information about the United States’ nuclear testing program.
Nevada Site Office - Historical Test Films
- Recently declassified footage of nuclear tests with images.
Nike Air Defense Missile
- This System was deployed around dozens of major US cities and intended to protect them against bomber attack, describes the system and where they were deployed.
NRC: Our History
- A brief history of the agency and its predecessor, the AEC.
Nuclear Age Peace Foundation
- An archive of articles on nuclear armaments, testing, test bans, and treaties. Links to articles on related topics including nuclear power, NATO, disarmament and the arms trade.
Nuclear Age Timeline
- Nuclear Age Timeline, The timeline traces the nuclear age from the discovery of x-rays and radioactivity to the explosion of the first atomic bomb through the cold war to its thaw and the cleanup of the nuclear weapons complex.
Nuclear Connection Project
- Traces connections between UFO sightings and the history of US nuclear research and development activities.
The Nuclear Files
- Explore political and ethical dilemmas, challenges of the Nuclear Age. Discusses waste, power, weapons, the scientists and politicians involved, strategy, treaties, and other aspects of nuclear policy.
Nuclear Testing in India and Pakistan: Selected Internet Resources
- Information on Indian and Pakistani nuclear weapons research and development. Includes statements, position papers, research and analysis, news coverage and opinion polls, and related information on nuclear proliferation.
The Nuclear Weapon Archive
- Discusses the physics of the various types of nuclear weapons and the effects of nuclear explosions. Includes a history, images, and chronology of atomic and thermonuclear weapons testing.
Nuclear Weapon Research on the Internet
- In depth collection of links to nuclear news, information, research, searches on nuclear topics, software to model nuclear blast effects, history, commentary, and links pages.
- Information on nuclear weapons design, production, materials, testing and effects both historic and current. Includes diagrams and explanations of the physics and engineering involved in weapons design.
- Database of nuclear explosions, image gallery of test photos of US and other nuclear tests, chronology and background information on nuclear weapons.
- An examination of the effect of the atomic age on popular culture in America. Deals with everything from mushroom clouds on record covers to movies and comic books.
On the beach - Australia's Nuclear History
- A short article on the history of British nuclear testing in Australia and a discussion of Canberra's motives for cooperating with such tests. Also contains short biographies of prominent Australian nuclear scientists.
ORNL: The First 50 Years
- History of the Oak Ridge National Laboratory from the 1940s to the 1990s, including the Manhattan Project era. Details the building of the lab, addition of facilities, the scientists who worked there, and the surrounding communities.
Parallel History Project on NATO and the Warsaw Pact
- Provides documentation on the development of NATO and the Warsaw Pact during the Cold War, their mutual threat perceptions and military plans, and their significance for our time. It presents new evidence from the archives of both NATO and former Warsaw Pact countries.
Purdue Physics - The War Period
- Essay on the war time history of the physics department of Purdue University detailing work done there as a part of the Manhattan Project and in physics in general.
Radiation Information Network
- Collection of links on the history of radiation and radiation protection.
Scientific Data of the Nagasaki Atomic Bomb Disaster
- Information on the physical, medical and epidemiological effects of the bombing of Nagasaki. Includes the testimony of Dr. Raisuke Shirabe, maps of the destroyed areas, and a list of links for further information.
SRS -- Historical Highlights
- Chronology of the Savanna River Site, part of the DOE Nuclear Weapons Complex. Covers significant historical developments in the mission and evolution of the facility. Part of a larger site which includes environmental, technological, and general information about the plant.
The Swords of Armageddon
- A site promoting a CD Rom set containing an encyclopedic history of U.S. nuclear weapons history. Gives examples of articles contained on CD, the table of contents, ordering information and a periodic newsletter.
Titan II ICBM Web Page
- Describes the mission and capabilities of the system, includes photos, launch history, diagrams of the components of the missiles and their launch facilities and crew details.
Titan II Missile System
- The history of the missile system, includes images and diagrams of the silo and layout of a typical site.
U.S. Nuclear Weapons Cost Study Project
- The Brookings Institution studied the history of nuclear weapons development, production, and testing in the United States. Extensive information on historical weapons programs and their costs.
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 2013 Netscape
Visit our sister sites
Last update: Wednesday, October 23, 2013 10:05:08 AM EDT -