become an editor
the entire directory
only in Middle_Ages/Vikings
By Time Period
Open Directory - Society: History: By Time Period: Middle Ages: Vikings
Religion and Spirituality
Arts: Literature: World Literature: Icelandic
Kids and Teens: School Time: Social Studies: History: By Region: Europe: Viking
Regional: Europe: Regions: Nordic Countries
Society: History: By Region: Europe: Scandinavia
This category in other languages:
- Presents aspects of the history of the Vikings in the British Isles. Includes dig reports, articles on Viking women, money, weapons and religion, an interactive game and 3D reconstruction of a Viking Age farmhouse.
Orthodox Christians in North America 1000 Years Ago
- Andrew Phillips explains how Christianity was accepted by the Vikings and came with Leif Ericsson to the New World.
The Norse Discovery of America
- by Arthur Middleton Reeves, North Ludlow Beamish, and Rasmus B. Anderson. Public domain E-text by the Sacred Text Archive.
The Norse in the North Atlantic
- Examines purpose and practice of oceanic exploration.
The Norwegian Viking Swords
- "De Norske Vikingesverd" by Jan Petersen (1919) in an English translation by Kristin Noer (1998).
- Explore a Viking village, find out who the Vikings were, delve into the secrets of a Norse ship, or write your name in the runes. From NOVA Online.
- A look at their way of life, includes information on who they were, where they came from, where they traveled, and the heritage.
Viking Answer Lady: Birka
- Tells the story of this town in Sweden founded in the 8th century on the island of Björkö. Includes maps, a reconstruction drawing, and description of Birka in the Viking Age.
- Learn and read about the Viking legacy, including the Norse mythology, explanatory maps and animations about the Viking people.
Vikings: The North Atlantic Saga
- An exhibit from the Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History about the Scandinavian discovery of North America over 1000 years ago.
- An illustrated article from the online collaborative encyclopedia which includes an outline history and discussion of specific topics such as runes, ships and Icelandic sagas.
NPR : Unearthing a Viking Graveyard
- A small graveyard in northern England reveals the remains of six people whose jewelry and clothing identify them as Vikings. The find could shake up some assumptions about the Vikings' role in early Britain. Hear NPR's Scott Simon and British archaeologist Faye Simpson. [2:56 streaming audio broadcast] (September 11, 2004)
Vikings' Barbaric Bad Rap Beginning to Fade
- An article by Stefan Lovgren for National Geographic News reviewing recent findings that contradict the stereotype of the Vikings. (February 17, 2004)
Did the Vikings Make a Telescope?
- Sophisticated lenses made nearly a thousand years ago may have allowed the Vikings to build a telescope. [BBC News] (April 05, 2000)
Usenet alt.culture.net-viking -
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 2013 Netscape
Visit our sister sites
Last update: Tuesday, December 29, 2009 7:45:12 AM EST -