become an editor
the entire directory
only in Religion/Christianity
By Time Period
Books of Hours
Society: Religion and Spirituality: Christianity: Church History
Society: Religion and Spirituality: Christianity: Denominations: Catholicism: History: By Time Period: Middle Ages
Archives for medieval-religion
- Archives of postings to the academic discussion list, Medieval Religion.
The Development of Christian Society in Early England
- An original article by Tim Bond
- Extensive glossary on terms as used by the Catholic Church.
The Electronic Grosseteste
- Provides e-texts of the Latin works of Robert Grosseteste (ca. 1170-1253), Bishop of Lincoln, touching on science, theology, philosophy and religion.
Firth's Celtic Scotland
- Short biographies of some of the early Celtic Saints who brought Christianity to the Picts of north-east Alba including pictures of their churches.
The Investiture Controversy
- Provides an overview of the lay investiture question in Europe with images, including early reform efforts, the rise of Hildebrand, and the struggle between Henry IV and Gregory VII.
Lübeck's Dance of Death
- Focuses on the "Death from Lübeck", a 30 meter painting showing Death in a long chain-dance with 24 humans from all classes of society. Provides information on similar 'Dances of Death' from the Baltic Region.
- A short essay on medieval attitudes towards miracles, with links.
The Rise and Fall of the Church of Rome
- Politics, control and corruption of Catholicism seen through historical examination and discussion of 21 ecumenical councils.
Rupert of Deutz on the Gospel of John
- A paper by Dr Abigail Ann Young, University of Toronto.
The Russian Church: An Overview
- The church from around 900 A.D. to the seventeenth century.
The Spanish Church and the Papacy in the Thirteenth Century
- A full-text online book by Peter Linehan, published 1971.
The Taxatio Database
- A database of the assessment for taxation carried out on the orders of Pope Nicholas IV in 1291-1292. For nearly 250 years virtually all ecclesiastical taxation of England and Wales was based on this extremely thorough and detailed assessment.
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 1998-2015 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: May 24, 2014 at 10:43:43 UTC -