become an editor
the entire directory
only in Rome/Towns_and_Cities
By Time Period
Towns and Cities
Arts: Architecture: History: Periods and Styles: Classical: Roman
Society: History: By Topic: Social History: Urban History
City of the Dead: Calleva Atrebatum
- Excavations in Hampshire revealed the remains of a once-thriving Roman town, Calleva Atrebatum. But what led to its abandonment? Michael Fulford turns detective.
The Corinth Computer Project
- A computerized architectural and topographical survey of the Roman era colony of Corinth, by the University of Pennsylvania.
Lepcis Magna - The Roman Empire in Africa
- Dr Hafed Walda reports on the latest excavations of this amazingly preserved Roman city on the North African coast, a UNESCO World Heritage site.
Museum of St Albans and Verulamium Museum
- The Roman city at the present St. Albans was the third largest in Roman Britain. An introduction with historical outline, reconstruction drawing, photographs and links.
Ostia: Harbour of Ancient Rome
- Texts, plans, bibliography, links, and other resources for professional and student archaeologists and historians studying Ostia.
- A CD-ROM written by an examiner with hundreds of photos and detailed text on all aspects of ancient Pompeii. Preview online.
Roman Towns in Britain: Written Evidence for towns
- An appendix to Guy de la Bédoyère, Roman Towns in Britain (2003), giving references in classical authors and inscriptions that provide clues to the names, status or nature of towns in Roman Britain.
Roman Towns in the Tiber Valley
- University of Southampton hosts this study by Simon Keay and Martin Millett, which forms part of the broader Tiber Valley Project of the British School at Rome.
- Logomancy's virtual reconstruction of ancient Herculaneum and stories about ordinary folks based on archaeology.
Silchester Town Life Project
- The University of Reading describes the archaeology of the Romano-British town called Calleva Atrebatum, the Victorian excavations and the activities of the Field School.
Tour of Caistor Roman Town
- Sue White provides a virtual tour of this Roman town in what is now Norfolk, England, complete with plans, reconstruction drawings and bibliography.
Towns and Cities
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 1998-2016 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: March 3, 2013 at 7:35:03 UTC -